“home away from home....”
Review of BudaBaB

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Budapest
BudaBaB
Ranked #17 of 187 Budapest B&B and Inns
Wallingford, Pennsylvania
“home away from home....”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Traveling to Budapest as a Fulbright scholar for the spring 2014 semester I needed a place to stay while I was looking for semi-permanent housing, and a friend told me about this great place in the heart of town run by two Americans who came to Hungary a decade ago and never left!

Budapest is a magnificent city with a great public transit system, great food and lots of wonderful things to see, but it isn't always easy, especially in the cold of February. Coming home after a day of shopping, sight-seeing and generally getting the lay of the land to Budabab was simply remarkable: it was warm, clean, the bed I had was soft and comfortable, the shower hot and great water pressure, the breakfasts were enormous.

From time to time you could simply crash with owners Ron or Ryan and watch TV, talk about things to see and do (after all, Ryan has written the Frommer books on Budapest for several years), enjoy a snack, read something from their extensive library, and get fully recharged for the next day. When I found my own housing I was so sad to leave Budabab, and have gone back twice just to feel "at home" again.

I have travelled around the world several times; have been everywhere from Moscow to Mauritius, Vietnam to Siberia. I know great hosts and comfortable quarters at reasonable prices and I HIGHLY and wholeheartedly recommend this wonderful bed and breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PRProf007
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
PRprof, we call our place the 'best rest in Pest', and you are way ahead in the running for 'best guest in Pest'! What a kind and helpful review... we are so pleased that your time with us was special. Your sense that we provide an alternate home makes us feel successful in providing hospitality for an enjoyable holiday. Thank you very much for your generous feedback. Happy Trails to you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 31 January 2014

A very great stay, overall. Ron and Ryan made us feel very welcome and offered us any sort of help we needed. They were great sources of things to do in Budapest (Ryan literally wrote the book) as well as many other places in the world, and the room itself was great. Everything was spotless and breakfast was wonderful as well. They were very prompt with communicating us when we needed directions before we got to Budapest as well. I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
We appreciate your kind response very much. It was our pleasure to have you stay here, and to help you enjoy this wonderful city. Happy Trails in the future!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Ron and Ryan were great hosts. I felt more like a family friend visiting then a typical stay at a b-and-b. The location is in the Jewish quarter that is only a 3min walk to the metro station and nearby many tourist attractions.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Hi Aleck... Thank you for your kind words. We certainly enjoyed your stay... and we admired your stamina and enjoyment of taking in so many activities in such a short time. Best of luck in your Seattle life. Happy Trails as you explore new places.
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This was written by my partner who doesn't have a FB account.
I was turned on to BudaBaB by a friend from New York whose apartment I had rented for the beginning of my stay in Budapest. I was a bit concerned about staying in a home- as I can have recurring insomnia- but Ron and Ryan's hospitality, interest and informative gregariousness left me feeling lucky and grateful.
Budabab is a great home away from home and perfectly located as a base for getting to all points Budapest. Clean , quiet and warmly decorated; I stayed in the smaller room which was comfy, spacious, airy and had everything I needed. Ron and Ryan are terrific hosts and have the answers to all your questions regarding Budapest and more…Day trips, a pension in Vienna etc etc. BudaBaB's website alone is priceless. This was my first time to Budapest. I'm an inexperienced traveler and was traveling alone for the first time but I felt well introduced for my visit after enjoying time familiarizing myself with all the information on their site.
There was no other neighborhood where I'd prefer to hang my hat in this wonderful city, and it was fate and fortune that BudaBaB came to me highly recommended.
Breakfast each morning was informative chat regarding my day's itinerary and planning the days ahead. Several evenings I came home and joined them in the midst of watching some Tv episode. I felt completely at home staying with these guys and it added a welcome dimension to my trip. I stayed with them for 10 days and would book again in a minute.
! One more thing that made my stay at BudaBaB unparalleled was Gabor Pal, a masseur who takes appointments for massage in house through his arrangements with R & R. One 90 minute deep tissue session with Gabor and I immediately booked a block of 6 more. Gabor should be a required part of any stay in Budapest! AND I was able to enjoy this because of the euros I saved by booking with Ryan and Ron. Between Gabor and my regular sampling of all the thermal baths available I looked 15 years younger and felt it too. I still feel a younger and healthier man!
Thank you gentlemen! Thanks a million.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DaveKr
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dave! I can also say Brother Dave, as you became part of our family during your stay with us. You are at the top of our 'most wanted' guest list. We hope to see you back here again... this time for only relaxation and sharing the City with your fellow traveler. You are most kind in your remarks about us and your time here. And it was always great to hear you share your pleasures of each day. Thank you from our hearts.
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Was a great experience. Very easy to get around city from the Budabab and would strongly recommend it to any one especially to anyone who might be new to Budapest.
Great morning breakfast.
Robert Ramaley

Room Tip: Both rooms are good
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Greetings, Robert R... or should I say B & B, two of our most favorite returning B & B guests and friends. We very much enjoy your company and all the sharing and laughter and escapades you bring. May all your days ahead be light and peaceful. See you in April.
WINNIPEG
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We loved our stay at BudaBaB. The place is well put together by people who obviously had a "vision". We were treated extremely well, and the conversations with the hosts were interesting and informative. We had the "big" room, and the bed was extremely comfortable. Had we known that we would enjoy our stay here so much, we would have booked for a longer period of time. The hosts were very helpful when we e-mailed them before we arrived. We were provided with great walking directions from the train station, for example. We also enjoyed the area of town in which this establishment is located.

Room Tip: Great Place!!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CRAIG M
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Hey, Happy Bikers! We too enjoyed your stay... and agree it was too short by far. We always look forward to sharing stories about past adventures, present tales about your days here in Budapest... and wish you many more Happy Trails. Thank you for your kind words.
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stayed at BudaBaB for a week, and I can't thank them more. They were so helpful and caring about everything. Although I traveled alone, I felt very safe and looked forward to sleeping at the comfortable bed every night. Great coffee and breakfast every morning with Ryan and Ron is one of the great memories also.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Thank you, Mayuu, for your gracious comments. They suit you well, as we found you to be graceful, charming, and eager to enjoy Budapest and other cities. We certainly enjoyed your company, and wish you all the best in your artistic fabric designing career! Happy travels in the future.