“Unbeatable character and location in a great European city”

Gerloczy Rooms de Lux
Ranked #40 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

My wife and I spent three nights at the height of Budapest's summer this year. It was our first visit to this enchanting city, and in our lengthy walks could not find any hotel that might match this one in character and location. We were initially given an attic room but paid for the supplement for a larger room with windows overlooking the square.

It is quiet, set in a beautiful late 19th century building, with friendly staff. The restaurant is outstanding. We had supper there twice, in addition to breakfast (included in the price) which was also excellent.

The only problem we faced was that the air conditioning failed during a very hot spell. I much prefer electric fans to air con and believe that these should be standard supply in all rooms, especially in cities where temperatures can rise so much. It was only when we asked for it that we were given one.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Tresymedio

Reviewed 29 August 2012

Architecture and decoration of the building is perfect with attention to the last detail. We had an attic room and it was one of the most elegant hotel rooms we have ever stayed in. We definitely recommend the attic rooms, since these rooms are very special and also cheaper (because they are a little bit smaller, but certainly adequate).
Reception staff was very helpful and we would like to thank them all for making our stay so pleasant.
The only thing that was a little bit strange was the breakfast policy. You pay 12 euro per person per day to have breakfast in the café below the hotel. Quality of breakfast is ok, but first drawback is that you have to think about prices when you order. Second drawback is that the café is very expensive so you can exceed the 12 euro limit (having to pay in addition) but without eating as much as you would have if there was a breakfast buffet. Finally, what we found annoying regarding the breakfast policy is that whether you stay in the hotel or you don’t you are charged exactly the same when ordering in the café for breakfast and that is not fair for the hotel customers, especially since breakfast is not optional but you have to pay for it anyway.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank efsnik
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Ideally located in the heart of old Budapest Gerloczy Rooms is the place to stay. The hotel is full of character with antique furnishings, rich red carpeting, great staff and an excellent cafe/restaurant. Most of the time we sat outside on the terrace. The included breakfast was very good. Our room was quiet and comfortable, there were just a couple of odd things. One was the shower, located above a lovely old free-standing bath tub. It looked great but was not practical. No screen or curtain so every time we showered the bathroom floor became flooded.. The other thing was the wardrobe cupboard. An antique glass fronted cabinet probably not meant to be a wardrobe but adapted for that purpose. All of the clothes and other things inside were visible through the glass front and the very rickety doors squeaked loudly whenever opened or closed.. These things were "odd" but not a problem, in fact they probably made the stay even more enjoyable through their quirkiness. I definitely recommend this hotel for quality, service and price

Room Tip: I just requested a quiet room with a comfortable bed and that's exactly what I got.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ouestmj
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Hotel stay May 2009, 2 nights.

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a couple nights along with his parents (after coming off a night train from Venice). The hotel itself is tucked away on a little side street with a cute cafe out front. At the time, you had to walk through the cafe to get to the front desk, which was slightly weird but okay. They were doing construction at the time for a side entrance which I'm sure is completed at this point.

The room swe had were on the 1st floor (one flight up - I think we had # 2 and 3). One room was large with a bathroom that included a shower stall and had a cute little balcony. The other was smaller but had a large bathroom. Both faced the street/cafe. The bathroom with the shower stall was fine except the water kept rising over the little 2" lip and onto the bathroom floor - just an obvious design flaw. Otherwise, the room was immaculate and really quite nice. The other room was very nice as well.

The breakfast as others have noted was a little odd but we had to just go with it and figured if we spent a few extra $s so be it. They basically give you an amount you can spend and you order off the menu within those parameters. The breakfast was really quite good so we had kind of forgotten about the awkwardness of the way we had to order against an amount.

We did have dinner there one night and were very glad. It was one of our best meals in our travels and the the service was great.

The last night of our stay, I actually flossed off a crown in my mouth which was very painful. The receptionist downstairs was so kind and helpful trying to help us figure out where the pharmacies were and open. We were not successful but the receptionist did put a call into the owner who's sister was a local dentist. Unfortunately, she did not have time for me in the morning prior to our flight to Prague. They were as helpful as they could be though.

We did run into a couple kind of big issues on the way out. When we booked with our Visa, we were told we could use our Visa. When we were checking out (boyfriend and I were covering 2 rooms) they told us we had to pay in cash. Clearly, I did not have that kind of cash on me and we had to make a speedy trip to an ATM to get money. Thankfully I had enough money in my checking account as I could see how this could present issues for folks that were relying on their credit card. That was very very very frustrating since I had a toothache and we were in a hurry to leave for a flight.

The other rather large issue was the pre-booked car service. The hotel booked the car service for the 4 of us to the airport to catch a flight to Prague. They told us exactly how much cash we would need as well as guidance regarding the tip. I even reconfirmed this information on the way out the door. The driver seemed kind but when we got to the airport and I handed him the confirmed amount, he indicated "no". He wanted double that amount! Either he was trying to get more money OR the front desk booked for 2 people and we had 4. Either way, I was out of Hungarian cash and gave him the amount as quoted (even showed him the printed quote). I was the planner of the trip so I handled all this and he did start to get angry but I told him I was not paying more than I was told an we walked away. What a stressful way to leave a hotel!

All that said, if I was going back to Budapest, I would stay there in a heartbeat because it was a great value for such a charming little hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank NewtonTravelers
Reviewed 5 August 2012

When reading the very positive reviews about this hotel, you might start to think that it is the most wonderful place on earth. Let me add a few countervailing critical remarks. Indeed, this is a charming hotel in a good location. The rooms, staircase and reception are nicely decorated. However the reception desk was sticky. WiFi didn't work. Those are minor points, but what really put me off was the ridiculous breakfast concept. You must take breakfast in the restaurant, or more precisely, the amount of € 12,50 per person is added to your hotel bill whether you take breakfast or not. This amount is your credit in the restaurant and you are supposed to figure out yourself how much you can order for this money. To make it easy, the prices on the menu are in forinth. When I asked the waiter to do the math for me, he couldn't or wouldn't do it. This is really an excellent way of making easy things complicated!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank MartijnCarlier
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Wonderful boutique hotel, we were so delighted with our stay and can't wait to return. The staff were all so friendly and helpful; the location is brilliant; restaurant superb and reasonable prices; and the ambience is just the best. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: Front rooms have a great outlook - also if you prefer a shower, ask for a shower room otherwise you...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jill B
Reviewed 28 July 2012

This hotel is top notch in every respect. The people at the desk were very friendly, and helpful. They were concerned but not intrusive. The rooms were very clean, the beds very comfortable. The attached restaurant was excellent, the waiters and staff werevery attentive. The dinner menu was very good and we ate many meals there. Breaksfast was also excellent. We would recomend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple