“A small, quiet gem in Budapest”

Gerloczy Rooms de Lux
Ranked #26 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
San Francisco, California, United States
“A small, quiet gem in Budapest”
Reviewed 3 October 2012

The Gerloczy Cafe and Rooms de Lux in Budapest was a pleasant and welcoming little hotel. A few blocks from the Danube and within walking distance from the great market and Gellert Spa I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get away from the Holiday Inn type experience. The rooms are quiet, the windows are huge and the hotel is located on a side street so you barely hear any street traffic. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to help with directions and restaurant suggestions. ( you will have a hard time finding a better place to eat in Budapest than the Gerloczy Cafe which features a jazz, pop harpist and Hungarian cuisine with a French twist ) The room rates are medium and they include breakfast at the Cafe. I hope to visit the hotel again.

Room Tip: We enjoyed a room that came with a bathtub with all brass fixtures. It felt like Paris in the time o...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Gerloczy is an upscale, intimate hotel that is ideally situated on a leafy square in Pest. Our room was perfect and the cafe was an added bonus, not just for breakfast, but first rate dinners as well.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room overlooking the square. Not noisy...
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This a charming hotel located in a very convenient part of Budapest. You can walk to most of the sites you will want to see. For those further away, the bus or metro works well. When we visited Buda Castle, we took the #16 bus from Deak Terrenc Fer metro station (which is less than a five minute walk from the hotel), and this worked out fine. We walked back (downhill) and it was about a 5 minute walk to the Chain Bridge, and perhaps another 10 minutes to the hotel.

The rooms are very nice--fairly roomy, clean and in good condition. It was also pretty quiet at night. We heard a few late night revelers but mostly it was good sleeping. We stayed in room 5.

They have a cafe downstairs. The cost of the breakfast is not included in the price of the room, but the price of the room is reasonable and we had no problem with this. Unlike many other restaurants in Europe, rather than a buffet the breakfast is a la carte. You order what you want. We actually like this better. The food and service were good. We did not eat any other meals there, but we understand it has a good reputation for lunch and dinner as well.

The service at the hotel was very good. The person at the reception desk answered all our questions. She also was very helpful in setting up dinner reservations as well as the boat rides on the Danube. We enjoyed a restaurant called Fausto's quite a bit--it is not the cheapest, but the food and service are excellent.

We also took the 1 hour non-dinner boat ride at night which was nice. Budapest at night is a sight to see.

We very strongly recommend you consider the Gerloczy. It met all of our needs, and helped to make our stay in Budapest very enjoyable!

1 Thank jdw1951
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 22 September 2012

My cousin and I stayed at this lovely boutique hotel for five nights in mid September. Our room was beautiful and spacious with a balcony overlooking the outdoor cafe. The hotel exudes Old World elegance and charm. It has a wonderful location that is a short walk from the river, restaurants and shops., yet is in a quiet section away from the crowds.

I can't say enough about the staff. They were extremely friendly,helpful, respectful and informative. Even before I arrived there, they gave me useful tips about the taxis there. The staff goes out of it's way to make sure their guests are happy.

We only ate at the cafe for breakfast, which was very good.(especially the Hungarian omelet) The cafe does great business for dinner and is very lively at night. I would sit on my balcony at night, sipping a glass of wine, enjoying the laughter from below. It was especially nice that, as loud as the people below were, once I went in my room and closed the door, I heard nothing.

I have been all over the world and stayed at many top notch hotels. I have to say that the Gerloczy is my absolute favorite hotel and Budapest is my favorite city. I was enchanted with everything and everybody there! I will definitely return to this city and this hotel!

Room Tip: Room 3 on the second floor is large, has a balcony and a shower.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We recently stayed at the Gerloczy Rooms de Lux in Budapest -- what a wonderful hotel! The staff was very helpful, the rooms were charming and very clean, and it was a great location for touring the city. I would highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Budapest!

Room Tip: I don't think there's a bad room in the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Nacogdoches
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We stayed at some very nice hotels on a week-long self guided bicycle tour of Hungary's Lake Balaton wine region (http://www.vinociped.hu/), and were able to book two rooms at Gerloczy before our flight back to the US. Now I understand why booking there at the beginning of our stay wasn't possible--it's got to be the most unique amazing place in all of Hungary.

Gerloczy has fewer than 20 rooms, each uniquely designed. My husband and I had a corner room with parquet floors, beautiful bedding,draperies, upscale furniture and room amenities. Maybe my photo will do it justice. Our twenty-something kids traveling with us booked an "attic room"--oh my goodness--so unique. (Again, see the photo.)

Eating lunch at an outside table there, it became obvious that the Hotel/Kavehaz is a very popular place for local young professionals as well as travelers. The chef obviously prides himself on beautiful tasty culinary creations at a surprisingly reasonable price. The Hungarian wine list is diverse, and the frozen coffee and smoothie drinks were a hit with many of the lunch diners. They looked colorfully cool and tempting, although we didn't have an opportunity to try one.

The reception desk also gave us an excellent dinner recommendation at Rezkakas, and even called to make our reservation. They didn't first try to convince us to only eat at THEIR restaurant (which also would have been great, but we were looking for music while dining.) When traveling back to Budapest, this is absolutely the first place we will try to book.

Room Tip: We experienced two great rooms and were told that all of their rooms are uniquely decorated. The ho...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
L.A.
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Great location, good price, big room. Outside temperatures were mid- 80s, so the room was not cold enough for me. Very quiet, even though we faced the cafe. Hungarian omelet for breakfast was amazing. Dinner wienerschnitzel was huge, but tough and expensive.

2 Thank cb222