“Excellent Hotel, Outstanding Staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Palazzo Zichy

Hotel Palazzo Zichy
Ranked #4 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel, Outstanding Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

The hotel is located in a quiet neighbourhood in southern Pest, and can be reached in approximately 20 minutes by taxi from the airport.

The lobby / reception area is large with a huge, illuminated bare brick / tile wall behind it, the entrance to the bar to the right, and access to several lifts. In fact the hotel is very well serviced by numerous lifts.

A superior room on the fifth floor was large, bright and airy, impeccably clean and with 3 large windows, 2 of which opened. There is also efficient air conditioning. The bed was large and very comfortable indeed. The bathroom was a good size and has a walk in shower with a raindrop shower head. Facing into the inner quadrangle, the room was also very quiet. In fact the whole hotel has a quiet and calm air.

The staff are outstanding. Within 12 hours of making the booking I had received an email stating that the hotel would do their very best to accommodate the room request (quiet room on an upper floor). A second email requesting advice on transport options from the airport was responded to with even greater speed, and in considerable detail, including a paragraph on each of the 3 options (public transport, airport shuttle or taxi) which covered how to use / book each option, timings and pricing.

Check in was a delight with very warm, friendly, engaging and professional staff. The room request made was covered, the layout of the hotel facilities clearly explained, 2 maps provided – one was very useful for restaurant information and the other a suggested walk around Pest, created by the hotel. And when asked, some good advice was given on local, and more distant dining options.

Checkout was handled in the same excellent way as check in. The bill swiftly run through, and before the question could be raised, the offer had already been made to hold the bags until the taxi was due. Hotel check out is 12:00, and with an evening flight it was terrific to leave the bags at the hotel and spend more time in the city.

A taxi was booked the day before checkout, and the hotel are happy to add that to the bill and ensured that the taxi driver knew that the fare was prepaid.

The bar was equally well staffed, with charming service, and advice given on the various flavours of Palinka (produced in the same way as Czech Slivovitz, it’s Hungarian fruit brandy and really should be tried). The advice to try the sour cherry variety was spot on. There were also some good suggestions for sights to see around the city.

Breakfast is served in a bright room 1 floor below reception – in fact it can be seen by glancing over the reception desk, or when walking to the bar. There is a pleasingly very good, wide ranging spread of foods in the buffet – a variety of cereals, fruits, fruit juices, cold meats, cheeses, smoked salmon, pastries, breads, and the usual hot items (bacon, sausage, etc). The only thing I would personally like to see included is some Hungarian food - pastries, meats, cheeses, perhaps some smoked fish.

With a breakfast room clearly able to hold considerably less people than the potential number of hotel guests, good staffing and organization are important. The room was always well staffed, tables were swiftly cleaned and reset, and all food items kept well stocked and with good presentation. I didn’t once see a table that hadn’t been swiftly reset after it had been vacated. All the staff were cheerful and very efficiently going about their duties.

This is clearly a very well run establishment, where excellent customer service is obviously a hotel priority.

From the hotel the whole of Pest is easily covered on foot. Some may find it a bit too far to walk to Buda to visit the many sights on that side of the Danube, but don’t let that put you off. Budapest has a very efficient and inexpensive metro system, and a few minutes walk will deliver you to a station. There also appears to be a very comprehensive tram system, but this is not commented upon as it was not used. Personally I found it easy and comfortable walking to Buda, but that’s down to personal choice / preference.

There are local restaurants in the streets immediately surrounding the hotel, and a short walk, broadly in the direction of St Stephen’s Basilica, will bring you to many streets full of bars and restaurants.

An excellent hotel with outstanding staff. I wouldn’t stay anywhere else in Budapest.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Adrian2753
Judit_Rozsa, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Palazzo Zichy, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear „Adrian2753”,

Thank you very much for staying at our Hotel Palazzo Zichy and for posting a wonderful review on TripAdvisor. Your praising words are very much appreciated.

Let me also thank you for your detailed feedback in all subjects that is important for travellers looking for a hotel. I was delighted to learn from your kind words that we had been able to contribute to your pleasant experience.

I can not be grateful enough for highlighting our great location and for your kind words about our entire Team.

Your patronage is highly appreciated. It would be our greatest pleasure to welcome you back to our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can do anything for you.

Kind regards,

Judit Rózsa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We treated ourselves by ending our trip to Greece and Hungary at the Hotel Zichy. We started with 3 days at the Hotel, went to Pecs, Hungary for a few days and returned to Hotel Zichy for a final two nights. Both rooms we stayed in were comfortable, clean, quiet, secure and beautiful, as was the hotel itself. Upon our return we requested a room with a view of the square across the street, and the staff were happy to accommodate. The buffet breakfasts were outstanding, with lots of variety, fresh fruit, delicious breads, eggs cooked several ways, meats & cheeses, even sauteed vegetables, salad fixings and more! The area where the hotel is located is lively, many restaurants nearby, with easy access to the metro and good walking distance to major sites. The staff were cheerful, helpful and efficient, even gave us a brief history of the Zichy family and of the hotel when we asked. We appreciated the extras this hotel offered - umbrella when it rained, free coffee in the afternoon, cab to the airport paid via the hotel, good wifi and BBC on the TV. Overall the hotel was excellent. I realize that this hotel doesn't need more praise, but it was so good, it deserves another excellent review. Thanks Hotel Zichy - a lovely hotel in the grand city of Budapest.

2 Thank trekdigest
Dear „trekdigest”,

First and foremost let me thank you for choosing our hotel for your both visits in our beautiful capital. Your kind words and your opinion are very important for us and very much appreciated.

It was so great to read that you had been happy with our rich breakfast buffet and with the guestroom – it was our pleasure to accommodate your room request during your second stay with us.
I was even happier to see that our Reception Team had provided you with an excellent service throughout your visits.

Let me thank you for recommending our hotel to your fellow travellers. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not so distant future.

Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here at Hotel Palazzo Zichy for 3 very comfortable nights. It was an absolute delight from the moment we arrived. The staff are very friendly and helpful and made our stay welcoming. The hotel room was stylish, comfortable and spacious enough with high ceilings to provide the illusion of more floor space. The room is well stylised, comfortable and all that we required...a comfortable bed and a lovely shower. The location in Budapest is good, travellers need to be prepared to use the efficient transport system to get around as many of the city sights and experiences are quite spread out. We walked to many places too, but did used the transport often, purchasing daily passes. Both Buda and Pest have much to offer in this truly remarkable city. Food choices are abundant. We enjoyed food and drinks near the St Stephens basilica. The hotel's wifi is very reliable and the offer of cold drinks, tea and coffee each afternoon as a complimentary service is lovely. The breakfast in this hotel is excellent with a wide range of choices to keep you energised until the next meal. Thank you Hotel Palazzo Zichy you deserve your ranking here on a Trip Advisor.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scat0
Dear „Scat0”,

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for staying at our Hotel Palazzo Zichy during your recent city break in Budapest.

I was delighted to see that our hotel met or even excedeed your expectations and you had been satisfied with the guestroom as well as with the breakfast offer and our favourable location. It was also superb to see that you could take advantage of our complimentary services: the wifi and our Lounge bar.

Let me thank you again for your all-embracing positive comment and for recommending us to the travelling community.

I hope the next opportunity to hosting you in our Hotel Palazzo Zichy! It would be my pleasure to assist you with future bookings.

Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed at the Palazzo Zichy 22-25th July and what a fantastic hotel this is.From the minute you enter the modern reception area to checking out it was all very organised,friendly and made you want to return .Lovely comfortable clean room,good breakfast,good location & friendly staff .What more could you ask & we look forward to staying at this hotel again .Well done to all & thank you for a wonderful stay

Dear „rjones59”,

Let me thank you for staying with us in our Hotel Palazzo Zichy, it was our pleasure to host you whilst visiting Budapest.

We highly appreciate your kind comments regarding our staff, our breakfast and the location of the hotel.

Thank you very much for your positive comment left on TripAdvisor and we hope we will have the possibility to welcoming you back to our hotel!

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Firstly, I find it amazing that Hungarian standards and attitude towards tourism continues to excel above my expectations.

This is a great hotel with dedicated and well trained staff willing to advise and cater for your every need. Smart and clean - service orientated your stay here will be a very enjoyable one. Rooms and service of such is good and efficient with a good clean feel through my four night stay.

The breakfast is amazing too by offering a wide selection and being English (fried eggs too) !!

Overall I really enjoyed my time here and would have no hesitation in commending this hotel to anyone looking for a little quality at a moderate price.

Room Tip: the higher floors are better my opinion I was on fifth floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Judit_Rozsa, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Palazzo Zichy, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear „WhickerSmith”,

Let me thank you for your valauble time taken to share your experiences with your fellow travellers on the largest travellers’ site.

It was so great to read that you could experience the first-class hospitality in our hotel that features the Hungarians in general. I was delighted to see that with the cleanliness of the entire hotel and with the exceptional service provided by our entire Team we had been able to contribute to your pleasant stay.

I would like to thank you again for your kind words and for your patronage. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

What is there not to like? Great big hotel rooms, very clean, amazing decor. the entrance is very grand as are the stairwells.

The staff are very helpful, it is central enough to all locations. Has lots of little bars and cafes around it. The breakfast is also very nice.

The bar does some very nice cocktails too!

the only small downside was that the maids outside the hotel room were often chatting loudly and banging about in the morning. You could hear when people came home from a night out, only if they were chatting in the hallway though.

It is a great choice in Budapest, i would book again!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
Dear „Vicki M”,

Thank you very much for staying at our Hotel Palazzo Zichy and for your valuable feedback about your recent stay with us.

Your kind words and compliments regarding our staff, the hotel’s location and the guestrooms are greatly appreciated.
It made me also glad to see that you liked the unique design: the mixture of the old palazzo feeling and the modern characteristics.

Let me also thank you for your kind feedback regarding the soundproofing, that has been already forwarded to the management for consideration.

I would like to thank you again for sharing your experience with the travelling community. I sincerely hope the next opportunity to welcoming you to our beautiful hotel!

Kind regards,

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Perfect location on a quiet side street situated on a small piazza...away from the noisy more popular tourist boulevards. The hotel is a 5-10 minute walk from the main market pavilion and the river and all other major attractions and is very accessible to the city's public transit options. The staff is beyond the best. The rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious for what I am used to seeing in Europe. They were all very accommodating, friendly and welcoming. If you're lucky enough, the bartender will give you a lesson on Palinka...any maybe let you taste a few as well. Will definitely stay here again if I find myself in Budapest. Prices were reasonable and the breakfasts were more than satisfying with a wide variety of yummy things.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the piazza!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
Dear „Frank R”,

Herewith I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for staying with us at our Hotel Palazzo Zichy during your recent holiday in our beautiful capital.

Let me also thank you for your kind words and compliments. Your wonderful feedback about the location, the guestroom, the breakfast selection and our entire Team are highly appreciated.

We are looking forward to hosting you again in our Hotel Palazzo Zichy!