“Great location, rooms and service”

Lavender Circus Hostel
Ranked #16 of 670 Speciality Lodging in Budapest
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Lavender Circus is a unique hostel that has a quirky Art Deco feel and a sincere focus on providing customer service to their guests. I ended up in two rooms different rooms, both were excellent and very comfortable. The hostel has a few nice touches that make staying there like home, including complimentary coffee (the good stuff) and tea, milk plus alcoholic drinks, and laundry service. The staff are very helpful, though I was annoyed that I had I was told there was no availability during for one night in e middle of my stay and had to go elsewhere, only to find out that a room was available for that night and I wasn't given the opportunity to stay, even though I kept asking...then it was too late the room had been booked by someone else. Despite this the hostel is a great place to stay, very secure, great location and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ring and book instead of emailing.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Sonja112

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I have stayed in a host of hostels around Europe but have never experienced anything quite like Lavender Circus.

The directions which we received when booking the hostel were spot on, though it is worth noting that there is no sign outside so you need to look out for the building numbers.
Once we located the hostel and climbed the stairs we received an extremely warm welcome from Adam and Gyorgi and were presented with glasses of typical Hungarian wine and shots of Pálinka, which of course are always welcomed by travellers! Gyorgi sat with us for a while and pointed out the best things to see and do in Budapest. She then preceded to check us into our room, even giving us the choice between rooms so we could decide which one we would prefer to stay in!
From the two room of which we looked at I can say that they were both extremely spacious and were decorated in their own quirky way, similarly to the common areas, which really adds to the character and charm of this listed building.

I can’t express how fantastic ALL of the staff in this hostel were, not just the ones mentioned above. The ladies that were on the reception during our stay were always there and willing to chat, literally any time, day or night! Every time we saw them they were keen to find out what we had visited during the day and offered recommendations of their favourite things to do and places to eat in order to get a real feel for Budapest and local life. We took them up on their recommendations and definitely were not disappointed.

To sum this place up, an excellent night’s sleep, all of the facilities were clean, very secure property, laundry services for a small fee, free wifi, kitchen facilities, amazing staff. There’s nothing quite like it! I can’t wait to go back to Budapest just so I can visit these guys again.

To everyone at Lavender Circus, we’d like to say egészségedre! (and hopefully see you soon!)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lightning57
Reviewed 24 August 2013

My friend and I stayed at Lavender Inn a couple of weeks ago for 3 nights while visiting Budapest. We had seen pictures online and it looked interesting and it certainly lived up to our expectations. The hostel is decorated in a very unique way, from the throws on the wall to the fish tanks in the bathrooms! The staff are so friendly and on the first day sat us down, gave us a beer and pointed out all the places on the map where we should visit in the next few days. In terms of the location, it is located right across from the National Gallery and is only a couple of stops away from the main train station on the metro; it is also very near shops and restaurants/bars so you don't have to travel far. The only thing to mention is that the hostel is on the 3rd floor of the building and there are quite a few flights of stairs to walk up (we did not see a lift) so it may not be suitable for people who have poor mobility. Apart from that a great hostel to stay in, great value for money and so friendly!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed at this hostel with my BF and I couldn't have wished for a better place to stay. The staff is so friendly and the design of each room is unique and very artfully decorated. It is easy to find, since it is located right across the National Museum. Located at the end of three flights of stairs, the place is well secured and each room gets their own key. The common room is very practical, since there is a kitchen and refrigerator and you are allowed to use all the utensils.

When we arrived, the staff member offered us a glass of water and told us in a very detailed way what to do and where to go. The bathrooms and toilets are clean and since i didn't bring enough clothes with me, I just washed them on the spot and the lady in charge was so kind to lend me her drying rack to put in our room to dry.

The rooms were spacious and clean and designed in a very unique way!

On our last day, we kinda just thought to buy some groceries and stay overnight in the airport, but the lady told us we could stay in the common room and wait for our taxi around 4 am. Hospitality is for sure the forte of this hostel.

I recommend this hostel! One of the best!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Pros -
We were given an excellent welcome by the staff. Unfortunately I cant remember the girls name but she sat with us for half an hour (at least) telling us all about Budapest and gave us free glasses of wine which was delicious!
The hostel décor is amazing, it is so quirky and interesting and there is always something to look at.
The staff were great at answering any questions we had. They were so friendly and we had really good chats with them. They all gave us free wine and coffee throughout our stay.
The room was comfortable and again we loved the décor. We also definitley appreciated the fan in the heat! The shared bathrooms were good, I sometimes struggled to get the right heat but in the hot weather it didn't really matter that it was cooler than I would normally want.
The location is good with a nice restaurant street nearby and it is really near a metro station.

Cons -
You have to walk up about five flights of stairs to get to the hostel which is really hard going with a heavy backpack! However it's a protected building and so they can't add a lift for this reason.
We found it quite difficult to find (based on the instructions you receive in an email from hostelworld). It is pretty much directly across from the museum (we wandered around the museum for ages).

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank slesserfamily
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stopped in Lavender Circus for 3 nights, as a relatively last-minute booking in the middle of an InterRail trip- and we could not have been happier with our experience there.
As we had been unable to do a great deal of research on the move, there was nothing but pleasant surprises; the rooms were incredibly spacious (much more hotel room style), the place was designed beautifully, with each room having its own individual character, and the staff were great at making you feel at home.
Lavender Circus is owned, and therefore designed, by a local artist- and the artwork on the walls, alongside quirky antique decorations, really does the hostel so many more favours than a cheaply done 'modern' finish would have. The old building it is situated in also compliments this, alongside having a good security system.
I never had to wait for the bathroom (we were in the shared rooms- I believe there were en-suites) and these were clean and good quality, with fishtanks! Also, I was able to put a wash on and hang my clothes out to dry for a very minimal cost.
We met some other couples staying at the hostel, and as there was no pressure to party as there is with many other larger backpacker-orientated places, you could sit on the large balcony/entrance area and have a couple of drinks and get to know people as they passed through. We also sat out with the staff a couple of the nights, who were interesting and friendly (with English that put any grasp of foreign language that we had to shame) and gave us some Hungarian national spirit to sample.
Overall, we couldn't have been happier with our stay here and only wish that we could have had longer! Definitely recommended for couples/small groups of friends who are sick of the institutional style party hostels and would like to stay somewhere calm, spacious, and beautifully finished.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AlixPallett
Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

Such a cool and quirky hostel. Great for pretty much any couple. If you want peace and quiet it's easy to find in your room and if you want to sink a beverage or two the common room is a great place for it, and the staff are more than willing to facilitate you having a good time.
Awesome