“Excellent and hospitable” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 651 Speciality Lodging in Budapest
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent and hospitable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Lovely staff, beautiful building, very high standard rooms. We had a room with our own fridge and microwave so could be self contained if we had chosen to.
The staff were excellent, so friendly and helpful and cooked the whole hostel dinner on one night.

It's probably not the place for a lone traveller or someone looking to meet everyone in the hostel as residents don't naturally spend a lot of time in the communal room. That said we made some great friends there.

The front facing rooms are a little noisy because base road is quite busy but if you are used to City living it's not at all a problem.

Really good location- everywhere is walkable and very easy to find from the airport.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hannah C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

The Lavender circus is an adorable little boutique hostel in Budapest, very close to most sights. It has a very friendly atmosphere and great decor, and is definitely the place you should stay if you're traveling Budapest on a budget. All the recommendations given were excellent. Just keep in mind that the building has no elevator and it's a long way up.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anahid M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Great location! Right opposite the national museum and about 10 minutes walk from the Jewish quarter where a the ruin bars are. The staff were really friendly and helpful :-) We stayed in a private room shared bathroom and our room was great, secure and overlooking the museum. I loved our stay here! Thank you x

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ruthrichardson1983
cambridge, england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I have recently stayed at the Lavender Circus for two nights and it was a great unique experience. The hostel has a great location, within walking distance of most attractions, but also meters from a metro station. I got the 200E from the airport and then the metro (only 8 stops to the hostel) which is where the bus terminates. In the arrivals hall at the airport I got a transfer ticket for both the bus and then metro for 520F- there is a counter to your left as you come through arrivals, behind the tourist info booth
The hostel is across from the National Museum and just after the Irish Cat pub and a café - just ring the buzzer for the hostel to let you in- as mentioned in previous reviews, there are a lot of steps, but as the building is protected, they are unable to install a lift.
Upon arrival, I was immediately made to feel welcome by the staff (who also offered shots of Palinka & some wine)- Flower in particular was really nice and helpful. The staff were just about to have their lunch, and offered myself and another couple who had arrived, to join them which was so lovely (and the food was even lovelier!) This was in the common room which also had kitchen facilities ( inc free tea & coffee)- a really nice chilled space.
I booked one of the apartments which was on the second floor- it was big, spotless and had plenty of hot water from the shower! It was great to also have a kitchen in this space (there are a few supermarkets nearby) and I made use of this on a few occasions!
The security of the hostel is also fantastic- I always felt safe when in my apartment and wasn't worried about leaving my stuff there when I went out.
Flower spent time going through the map (which she gave to me) and giving recommendations- the few that I managed to try were spot on. There are so many cafes & restaurants near the hostel, you certainly won't go hungry! Raday Utca is a great street for bars, cafes & restaurants and is about a five minute walk from the hostel.
I picked up a leaflet from the hostel about free walking tours and went on the general walking tour and the communist tour- if pushed for time, I would recommend the general walking tour (every day 10:30 and then 2:30, meeting point is at Vorosmarty Ter by the Lion fountain) it was really useful insightful and I actually felt that I learned something. I even went back to the Chain bridge at night to see it all lit up as well as the castle- breath-taking!
I would visit Budapest again, and although I tend not stay in the same hostels twice, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again- location, value for money, security, chilled atmosphere- definitely a winner!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank katlina79
Amritsar, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Me and my friend stayed here for 4 nights, from arrival to departure the Overall stay was lovely. We had a double room over looking the national museum. The hostel is in a excellent location and we realized we could walk almost everywhere however if walking isn't for your there is a metro station opposite. This hostel is also easy to access via public transport cheaply from the airport. The staff I must say are very accommodating, they will help you with your trip from where to eat to where to shop. I love the vibe of the hostel, they play lovely tribe type music(not loud), the decorating is very quaint and makes it a comfortable place to stay. I would recommend this hostel to any couple or friends. Be sure to check out the recommendations the staff highlight on the map all are definitely worth the trip.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank libertinedreamer7
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Great staff, cheap and clean rooms and it has a central positioning. We have been to Budapest several times and stayed in different hostels every time, but next time we will come back to this one for sure!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Puebla, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

I usually don´t write reviews but I must say that this hostel deserved one! it was probably the most special place i`ve been for the price! its cosy, original, quirky and clean... all in one! I strongly recommend this place for anyone visiting Budapest.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple