“Pretty good stay”

Hotel Chesscom
Ranked #105 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
“Pretty good stay”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I had traveled for about 8 hours by plane and had a 13 hour layover in Brussels before arriving in Budapest so as you can imagine I was very tired. The bed was quite comfortable and I had a good rest that night. The room was a bit warm but if you just open the window it is fine. The bathroom was nice and the room was pretty clean. The breakfast was included and was very tastey. If you are not looking for luxury and just need a place to sleep I recommend it. It is close to the airport but maybe a bit further from the main attractions in budapest but the metro is closeby so it is no big problem. I enjoyed my stay and have no complaints.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Roxana C
hotelchesscom, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chesscom, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Roxana C,

Thank you for your nice review. I am delighted to know that you had a fabulous stay in our hotel and you had no complaints whatsoever! :) Thank you for mentioning how tasty the breakfast was.

We look forward to seeing You again in our hotel!

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I was looking forward to my stay here this summer and have done alot of travel in budget hotels and hostels in many locations. But alas, this hotel is pretty grim. I must say I am shocked by the good reviews I have seen. I was shown two rooms and rejected the first one, but the second was no better, just bigger and set higher up so maybe it was a quieter spot in the hotel.. I had booked my room in advance for three nights and got there in the evening, so I took the second room that was offered to me and was really not sure if I could bear to stay even one night. I did stay one night and piled up the clean sheets on the top of the bed and slept on top of them.. I left the next morning.

The hotel is close to the airport bus and is cheap and that is probably why people go there. The bed was stained; (there were two in the room with stains all along the frame) The beds are traditional Hungarian-style couches, and they looked ancient) The rug was stained too. Everything was old as the hills. People all over the world just want a good bed, (a clean bed), clean sheets, and a good shower for a stay at any hotel. It does not have to be fancy.. This hotel did not have anything to recommend it except the restaurant next door.

Finally, the most interesting part. How do owners who put nothing into the upkeep of their hotel manage to get such nice staff?? During my stay I met only women on the staff. Rita, at the front desk was soft-spoken, lovely and polite and did what she could to please and help. Her English is also very good. I really appreciated all these things immensely and hope she will find a place, and a job that is worthy of her talents and people skills. Veronica was also quite helpful. The cleaning staff obviously tries their best. The sheets were clean and the toilet and bathroom had been cleaned well. But the general condition is quite poor, and the owner should look it over and put some cash into the hotel, it could be a good place but it is now more like a poor hostel. There is growing competition in this area with some new local hotels. I suggest the owner have a long hard look at the place......

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Homeawayfromhomestay,

Thank you for your comments, although we are disappointed and sorry that your experience with us was not as you expected. We are a traditional budget hotel outside the city center and close to the airport. Beds should always be without stain and I apologise if this was not the case. We are constantly maintaining our rooms and facilities.
Thank you for mentioning how helpful and friendly Rita and Veronika were in the reception. We pride ourselves on our friendly and professional staff and it is always important that they are recognised for their hard work and effort.

I understand that your experience here at Hotel Chesscom was not entirely to your satisfaction, but that there were some positive comments that you made about us.
Therefore we hope that perhaps you might return to us again and that we could live up to your expectations on another occasion.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my partner and our 2 dogs for just 1 night. Everything at this hotel is as it should be - the rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and with good linen, the staff is helpful, the location is great - right next to a metro station (the last stop of blue line) and a large shopping mall, which makes for a very convenient budget stay. The metro downtown takes some 20 minutes and costs around 1 EUR one way. There is free parking at the hotel grounds and we had air-con, a fridge and a TV in the room, non of which we tried. My only complaint is that the hotel is next to a busy road where trucks go all night long and the windows, although they help a lot, don't manage to hold all the noise away. My partner slept through it without problems, I had to use ear-plugs and a sleeping mask (quite a lot of light gets from the street through the curtains and blinds). For those interested, the price for a dog was 10 EUR per dog per night.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel to budget travellers and families who do not need any luxurious extras but want all the necessities in place.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Leinka
Dear Leinka,

Thank you for sharing your opinion and experience of your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you had such a great time in our hotel and you were satisfied with the location, cleaning, reception staff and with the hotel room. I am sorry to hear that you couldn't sleep well. We have rooms overlooking the courtyard. Those rooms are more quiet than the ones at the front side. On your next stay please ask for a room at the back side and we will do our best to allocate you in a nice and quiet room.

I do hope we will see You again in the near future!

Runcorn
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

At fist I was disappointed because I've only ever experienced 4/5 star hotels in Britain. I soon came to realise it had everything we needed! Air con worked a treat, beds were comfy, pillows could have done with more filling but were okay, didn't buy breakfast at the hotel as it looked mediocre but there's a Tesco right by it and the local restaurants are delish! The stay was well organised and staff were brilliant, helped every time I had a question. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank DBellfield
hotelchesscom, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chesscom, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear DBellfield,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay with us, we are delighted to know that you have spent a nice stay here and found the hotel clean and comfortable and our team at reception efficient.
I hope next time You will try our breakfast as well. :)

We look forward to seeing You again in our hotel!

Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The hotel is easy to find. If you take an express bus 200E from airport, you can get to the reception in a half hour. The hotel has not rich interior, but it is very clean. The hotel staff is very polite and helpful. There is a large shop mall, bus stop and edge metro station near the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank VladymyrZ
hotelchesscom, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chesscom, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear VladymyrZ,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are happy to know that You found the hotel very clean and good connection by bus and underground .

We will be happy to welcoming You again!

Suwanee, Georgia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I had a very early flight out to conclude my visit to Budapest and Hungary. I wanted to find a hotel on the Metro which was closer to the airport where I could use shuttle service. My room at Hotel Chesscom was clean and basic. The staff was really good. I didn't have breakfast due to the early departure. Enjoyed the small bar in the lobby before bed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear TAS14,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. Glad to hear that You were satisfied with our hotel and You found the location good.

Looking forward to seeing You again in our hotel!

Bgd
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Hotel is situated on wider Budapest area.Nearby is located large commercial centre with several shops and a railway -sub. station.Nice , by buildings surrounded parking and standard breakast.Rooms are an average but also not below.You will not be specialy suprised by something during Your stay but You shouldnt be dissapointed too. Good relation money - value.Good for sleep ,eat and go whatever You do next , travel, visit Budapest....

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Randja
hotelchesscom, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chesscom, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Randja,

Thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor. We are happy to read that You liked the hotel and You found it good relation money - value.

We will be happy to welcoming You here again!