“Don't go there - I wish I had read the reviews before we went!”
Review of Kulacs Etterem - CLOSED

Kulacs Etterem
Cuisines: Hungarian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
bath engand
“Don't go there - I wish I had read the reviews before we went!”
Reviewed 29 October 2011

A chipped soup bowl was the first sign that this was not a what we were expecting. Food generous but poor quality. 'Gypsy band' were persistent and intrusive as they sought tips.Again we were refused credit card facilities as 'the machine had broken down'. When we queried this the waiter became aggressive. They were unpleasant and I think out to fleece tourists. We witnessed a Chinese tour group being given a very poor meal much to their evident besument.
We were staying at the nearby Boscolo New York and had many wonderful meals in Budapest. Be warned - do not go there!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank mollytopaz

• Hungarian first
Dowling, Ontario
“Want good Hungarian food?”
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Very good Hungarian goulash. Good service. Good location near New York Palace Cafe.

Visited October 2011
Hampshire
“Terrible place, don't bother going there.”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We visited this restaurant in September but soon found out that they were only interested in large parties and neglected other couples badly.
The music stopped after the large party at the centre table left and never started again.
The waiter was agressive and they craftily added various drinks to your bill.
We refused to pay the service charge because we felt we had not had any service and would never go there again, especially as the food was only mediorce anyway.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank hampshireanne
Helsinki, Finland
“Credit cards not accepted although signs say other”
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I went with business colleagues. Place was worn out but we were hungry. Food is below average. A colleague ate cat fish and got stomach problems later on. When it was time to pay no credit cards was accepted although signs on the door say otherwise.Problem with phonelines they stated. Bill was over 200e -totally overpriced. The Bill had total in Forints- local currency and equal sum in euros. I did not have enough local money so paid 150e in Euros and rest in Forints. Later on I noticed that the Euro conversion rate that was used was -25% lower than it should have been. Also a 15% service charge was added . This seems to be a scam. Method that they have used others as well as I later on have read on this site. AVOID!!

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank Erkki2
Udine
“Never Again!!!”
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I went to this restaurant along with my mother (she is Hungarian) and my sister. Indeed, this place used to have a great reputation. My mother and my sister ordered the same starter (Gulyasleves which is one of the most famous Hungarian dishes) but unfortunately the meat was raw and the starter was therefore inedible. They pointed this out politely to the waiter who looked at them with a threatening attitude and didn't even apologize. The main dishes that we ordered were ok but nothing fantastic.We were very disappointed and asked for the bill to leave the restaurant asap. We were shocked to see that the restaurant charged us for the starters. We paid and left because we didn't want to have an argument but this was really a bad experience. I would strongly advise locals and tourists to avoid this restaurant.

• Visited August 2011