“Private party for 2”
Review of Restaurant Margitkert - CLOSED

Restaurant Margitkert
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Nestled in the foothills of Budapest's Rózsadomb, we have been proudly serving our guests since 1780. The restaurant's walls are covered with pictures of prominent personalities who come to dine on our exceptional Hungarian cuisine. François Mitterand, Tony Curtis, Princess Margaret, Alain Prost, Helmut Kohl, Olof Palme, Francesco Cossiga, Willy Brandt and Václav Havel are only a few of the many who can attest to our hospitality. We offer the best of Hungarian cuisine, great wine selection, friendly service, inside and patio dining and authentic Gypsy music every night. For specials, please visit our website.
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I don't know who ever advised us to visit this place? We were the only 2 people in the restaurant. Food was terrible. Gypsy music was mostly old Russian songs and musician ware too annoying playing right next to our table and making eyes at me... fishing to tips.

3  Thank Regina Z

Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

you can take that from a local. may have once hosted heads of state, now i wouldnt advise even for backpackers

3  Thank bandika761
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Disgusting tourist scum. Bad food arrogant waitress and annoying gipsy musicians. They destroyed our brought birthday cake. They did not fulfil any extra request... The musicians did not let you talk they play in your ears an kept asking for money. I am local and ashamed of this place.

5  Thank Ddnlr
Reviewed 26 June 2013

This is a so called "typical" Hungarian restaurant, but as I Hungarian I would really die of shame if all the restaurants having Hungarian cuisine would be as horrible as this is (they aren't, thank God!).
I could list a few reasons why I don't recommend it: don't bother to reserve a table, they will not keep it in case some tourist group comes in with full pockets! The food is overpriced and quite bad. You could go to a real good place in Budapest enjoying quality dishes with the same price or less. The waiters are not really attentive, they bring you a dish and you have to ask for the cutlery! I had the feeling that there were too few waiters for a busy evening, so not too good management. When asking them what they recommended, they immediately recommended the most expensive dish.
Avoid it from far far away!!!

4  Thank ZsuzsaKM
Reviewed 24 June 2013

One more restaurant targeting any kind of tourists travelling to Budapest. And when you target people that you don't plan to see again in the near future, you can afford bad service and mediocre to bad food.
Tuning the band's instruments once in a while wouldn't be a bad idea also.
Just my opinion after 3 years in Budapest and after visiting several places in this town..

4  Thank Ilias F