“Very nice !”

Ranked #248 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Kozani, Greece
“Very nice !”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I visited this hotel in March with my school on our 7 day Europe trip. The thing with this hotel is that it has very confident - relaxing rooms which is exactly the thing we needed after an exhausting (but beautiful) walk to both Buda and Pest cities :) . Nice bathrooms , normal breakfast and fast/large elevators. The only problem we had was to park the bus into that narrow road in front of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Konstantin K, General Manager at Actor Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear AlexandrosKaz,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the site following your stay with us back in March and I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful experience. I am also glad that you found your room to be elegant, nice and comfortable. Actor Hotel Budapest has one of the biggest rooms in the 4 star category here in Budapest and we are proud of it :).

I am so glad that your overall stay was so enjoyable and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your group back to the Actor Hotel Budapest on a future visit to our wonderful capital city.

Konstantin Kovats

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The hotel is a bit far away from center of the city, but near underground station Klinikak, so easy to get center. Peaceful location.
Breakfast is very good and the athosphere also nice.
Service is very good, staff is nice and helpful.
Room was clean.
Nice place and not an expensive hotel. I recommend!

• Stayed August 2013
Konstantin K, Guest Relations Manager at Actor Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear LauKul,

Thank you for taking the time to post a short, but helpful and positive review about your stay with us. All of our staff members work hard to ensure that our guests leaves with a feeling of satisfaction and I'm delighted to see we were able to deliver it in your case. I will definitely pass your thoughts to them for a little encouragement :).

We wish you all the best for you and your family and look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back in the near future.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Stayed at the Actor for 9 nights in July 2013, and think our extended stay meant we got a larger-than-average room! Most guests only seem to stop for 2 or 3 nights - which is a shame for a city that has so much to offer. We were staying whilst the Hungarian Grand Prix was on so things got a lot busier at the weekend, but the hotel seemed to cope OK, and was always quiet at night.

Our room was spacious, clean and well-equipped, apart from lack of tea/coffee faciliteis (which we knew in advance). Bed was usual 'two singles' pushed together, but wide and comfortable. Air-conditioning struggled to cope with mid-30's temperatures, but good enough to be respite from the heat outside.

There was a good choice at breakfast, and some different options throughout the week, including lots of fruit and some hot choices. Reception staff were helpful, if a little slow at times. One of the best features was the free transfer from and to the airport, especially as the hotel is a little way out of the centre. The organisation of that was very efficient.

The location of the hotel is probably the only slight drawback - it's deep into Ferencvaros and a good 5-min walk from either the metro or a tram - which while not an issue for us, could be for some. Also, the area isn't over-endowed with restaurants and bars (although there's a very good one on the closest corner!) so a trip into town is probably required for more choice. However, Raday Utca is only 10-15 min walk away, with lots of eating options.

Note for vegetarians: Budapest is difficult for veggies, especially if you or your partner wants more than pizza/Italian all week. Even fish is hard to come by in Hungarian restaurants. Our saviour was 'Hummus Bar', of which a new branch had just opened at the nearby Leonardo Hotel close to Fernec Ter, just 2 blocks away! They did a number of hummus-based meals, plus other veggie options, and plenty for the meat-eater too - and great baklava for dessert too, all at a very reasonable price!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front in the 'round window' might be larger (ending in 08/09?).
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear foxjenny,

Thank you for sharing such a detailed review about your stay with us. It is always lovely to read positive guest opinions about our hotel.
You are right, you were promoted with a free upgrade to a Superior room to make it even more comfortable and enjoyable your stay with us. I'm glad to see that you appreciated it.

I am also pleased that you found our free airport transfer offer efficient, helpful and well organized. We have also updated our official website with a new transfer order form to make the arrangement procedure easier & effective.

Please allow me to recommend some new possibilities for vegetarians as I feel bad that you found our beautiful capital city to be difficult on this matter. A new great restaurant recently opened in our neighborhood called Petrus which also offers some meal options for vegetarians, and TheBigFish restaurant is waiting for those who like fish near to the Oktogon station about 20 minutes away from us.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us and We certainly look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us, if we can be of assistance at any time.

sussex
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Ok, it's a silly name for an hotel. There are many good hotels in Budapest, and this fits neatly between the city centre, expensive, and the basic budget hotels. At €70 inc taxes you get a good sized room, about 35m², twin beds, a decent sofa and armchair, minibar, free wifi and air-conditioning, cable tv, and an adequate writing desk. Bathroom with shower only, and the toilet is mounted oddly high so that average height people's legs will dangle.

It's a bit outside the central area in a residential street in Ferencváros, but only 2 minutes walk from the 51 tram stop on Mester utca and 10 minutes from Corvin negyed metro and the Nagykörút. 15 minutes walk gets you to Ráday utca and a wealth of restaurants, including the Michelin starred Costes, though there are a few decent places and cafes nearby too. Breakfast buffet is ok, a bit basic, in a large function room obviously tailored to weddings and parties.
Nearby things to see (short walking distance) are: Natural History museum, Museum of Applied Arts (Iparművészeti Múzeum), Holocaust centre, Zwack Unicum Heritage centre.
Hotel has its own underground garage (extra charge).

A final point: there are a couple of negative reviews with entirely inaccurate information. I am not sure what motivates these people; at any rate you can disregard them.

Room Tip: There are 9 rooms per floor over 6 floors. Rooms numbered 01,02,03 face onto a pretty courtyard and...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank avermes
Konstantin K, Guest Relations Manager at Actor Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear avermes,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay at Actor Hotel Budapest with us and other Tripadvisor readers.

It is always lovely to read such a well-written guest opinion that covers almost everything. Thank you for taking the time and for being so honest. I really do appreciate it.

Please let me expand your room tip a bit more, just to be absolute complete: Rooms numbered 08 are equipped with bathtub and rooms 502, 503, 504, 505, 506 have a nice balcony.

I truly hope you will return to Budapest and will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Poznan, Poland
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We checked in for one night in Budapest and I would’n neither stay there again nor recommend it to anyone.

1. The single beds are narrow like in a dorm (70-80cm) and exteremely uncomfortable,

2. The look of the place is shaggy, with shattered glass door at the entrance to start with

3. Althought it is a walking distance form the old town it’s located in quite shaggy, and dirty area - I did not feel safe.

4.Upon returning to the hotel at night (midnight) we found the entrance locked. We rang a bell, called the reception on the phone and eventually banged really hard at the door. No one answered for 15-20 minutes. We were stranded outside of the building in the middle of the night in a shaggy part of town, ready to call the police (the only thing that came to mind). The receptionist came to open the door after 15-20 minutes and let us in. When I asked what happened I noticed that he was completely drunk! When I talked about this situation next day to a new person on duty I wasn’t even offered an apology!!!

5.Breakfast is inedible and very poor, coffee disgusting.

Not even a two star standard hotel and I have no idea how it can even pretend to be a four star!

The price was rather low and this should have rang an alarm bell!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank redsnapper30
Konstantin K, Guest Relations Manager at Actor Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear redsnapper30,

I would like to thank you for your valuable time and effort to send your experiences about Actor Hotel Budapest to Tripadvisor. I am especially sad to also learn of your concerns with your recent stay with us here, after your kind personal email message dedicated to our General Manager, which one didn't contain any misleading information not like this review.

Please kindly allow me to respond for these negative remarks.

1. First of all i would not say that our single beds are narrow as the exact size is 100x200 cm (everyone can check this information in their room on the mattress), which is bigger then the standard size in Europe (that one is 90x200 cm) and not around 70-80 cm as you mentioned. 95% of our guests who already stayed at Actor Hotel Budapest shared positive comments about the comfortability of our mattresses, some of them even asked to tell the exact type as they found it extremely comfortable. I would also like to clarify that all our mattresses are high quality products, therapeutic ones in order to guarantee a stress-free relaxation and especially dedicated to hotel use, which means they have summer and winter side, coconut layer and made of anti-allergic materials.
I assume you are used to have extremely soft bed (maybe with springs) in your home, which does not keep the spine properly, therefore you could find our beds to be uncomfortable. I am truly sorry that we couldn't meet your bed expectation on your stay.

2. Unfortunately one of our lovely guests ran into the door, therefore it had shattered glass during your stay. As i mentioned in one of my previous responses, we had some difficulties with our insurance company therefore we couldn't replace it immediately, but now i am happy to announce that all the doors have normal glasses now.

3. I can guarantee you that this part of town is totally safe and peaceful (the streets are also equipped with CCTV for insurance). For example Mester street, located about 30 m from our hotel, is one of the oldest main street of Budapest with full of eating & drinking possibilities and schools. I am truly sorry that our location didn't meet fully with your expectations.

4. Regarding the issue with our night receptionist I would like to ensure you again (just like in my personal email to you) that this is the first time we have received such a feedback from our lovely guests and it never happened before. I do apologise for the inconveniences. We will do our best in order to avoid such an unfortunate situation to happen again. We have already made some preventive actions (for example we installed for the bell a portable alarm).
Unfortunately nobody is perfect, making mistakes is part of human nature, but my colleague must also realize to prevent from the same things to happen again. As per discussion with him it turned out that he walked around the hotel to check if everything is fine. Unfortunately he made a terrible mistake and didn't check in our system if everyone arrived back well in their room before he locked the door, therefore it could happen that you had to wait 15 minutes until he opened it again for you. In your email you wrote "he seemed just awake or drunk" but now you state he was "completely drunk" which is not fully cover the truth, as he didn't drink any alcohol during the day, therefore I'm a little puzzled why he could look like a drunk person to you. Anyway i am really sorry again for the inconvenience he caused to you.

I'm really sad to see that his mistake influenced so badly your overall opinion about our hotel that you gave us a terrible rating here and found our hotel to be "not even a two star standard hotel", no matter how big your room was, which one is high above the average room size of a 4 star hotel in Budapest.

5. Regarding your comment about our breakfast as it is not a constructive opinion, unfortunately i cannot response to it now. Thanks to past feedbacks with recommendations we have already improved our breakfast selection, i am sorry to hear that it still wasn't enough good for you. I would also love to receive a more detailed opinion and recommendation from you. Thank you in advance.

Please accept again my deepest apologies and I sincerely hope that you will grant us another opportunity to prove that our mission is to provide excellent customer service.

Kind regards,
Konstantin Kovats

Travellers are raving about these Budapest hotels

Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2013

The hotel is a good value for money. It is quite simple, but very clean. The staff is friendly and very helpful. The food is quite simple, especially the evening meal. Overall a very nice stay though.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Konstantin K, Guest Relations Manager at Actor Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Dear A J,

Thank you for taking the time to post a short, positive review about your recent stay with us. Everyone here at Actor Hotel Budapest would like to thank you for your nice comments about their work. All of our wonderful staff members work hard to ensure that our guests leaves with a feeling of satisfaction and i'm happy to see we were able to deliver it in your case.

We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Arrived to hotel and thought I had entered a youth club. Approx 30+ Children aged between 12-17 screaming, running havoc, riding continually up and down the glass lifts to the amusement of their friends. I complained immediately and not one member of staff was prepared to tell the children to stop! UNBELIEVABLE!! Half hour passed before their schoolteacher finally shouted at them and order was somewhat restored, I strongly believe the staff should have intervened earlier. Secondly, weather was in 70's, yet the hotel "hadn't yet switched the air con system on" (was still on the "heating" system!) so the room was stiflingly hot and no effort made to turn it on even! Thirdly, whilst there was a mirror in the bathroom, the room had NO MIRRORS - not helpful when you are getting ready to go out. We asked for one to be put in the room, but this request was ignored. Finally, at least 2 of the front doors had smashed windows, neither of which had any tape over them as a precaution. If you go to breakfast at 9.30am (finishes at 10am) expect it all to be cold.

Room Tip: Get one on the highest floors as you can as you will need to sleep with the balcony doors open as th...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such a detailed review about your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your stay with us. Please kindly allow me to respond to all of them.
Unfortunately one of our tour operator partner did not notify us correctly about their group members ages (as you mentioned they were all under 18 and most of them where under 17), otherwise we wouldn't accept their accommodation request. At least now i can ensure that other student group will not stay in our hotel.
However i'm sadly read that my colleagues didn't do their best effort as normally they do to try to make your stay even more comfortable and without any distractions.

The weather was so unpredictable before your stay that it didn't allow us to make the right decision on when to turn it on the air condition, therefore it could happen that during your stay (17-20th of April) your room average temperature was a bit higher than you used to have (23-26 °C or 73-78 °F, because the system was still on the heating mode as you mentioned regarding that during the night the average temperature was still around 8-10 °C). Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I'm glad to inform you that we have already switched on the air condition after the nice weather (summer time) finally arrived (and the temperature remained continuously high).

Just for the record i would like to mention that first time ever we celebrated the Easter (end of March-first days of April) with 15-20 cm snow. Thanks to this unexpected occasion instead of snowmen the children made "snow bunnies":). The temperature stayed low between 10-18 °C until 15-17th of April and then from one day to the other it raised to 21-24 °C. We welcome guests everyday from all over the world, understanding that, you can measure that it is hard to meet expectations for each different person that could be more used to cold weather or hot weather. I am truly sorry again that we couldn't meet your temperature expectation on your stay.

Regarding the smashed front door's window i would like to clarify that it's made from laminated glass, therefore no need to tape around for precaution as it really can not brake in pieces and it is still perfectly able to insure its protection function. We have some difficulties with our insurance company therefore we couldn't replace it to a new one yet, but i truly hope it will happen as soon as possible.

Please accept again my apologies and I sincerely hope that you will grant us another opportunity to welcome you back to Actor Hotel and to prove that our mission is to provide high quality services.