“So many good points”

Opera Garden Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #10 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 28 August 2012

In a pedestrianised street convenient for the opera, nice restaurants and cafes, city centre, baths, the river etc, etc.
It's a proper hotel but rooms have kitchenettes to broaden the appeal. Champagne for breakfast if you fancy!
Owned by a dentist so they didn't mind me bleeding on the pillow after an extraction - even gave me a discount for being a dental tourist!
Opposite the ground floor lift door is a table with help yourself sangria every afternoon.
One criticism is the walls are a little thin.

Room Tip: Get your teeth fixed there by BHMS and mention my name.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
operagardenhotel, Front Office Manager at Opera Garden Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

Dear”Zagoose”, Thank you for taking your time to post a review about your recent stay at Opera Garden Hotel & Apartments on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you concerned our location good and could take advantage of our complimentary extra touches. I was sorry to read that you experienced the wall thin. I trust that apart from this you had a memorable stay with us.

Reviewed 27 August 2012 via mobile

This hotel is beautiful clean and impressive. Came on a long weekend with my boyfriend and was impressed by the location ease and service straight away. Food good free breakfast champagne. Great times were had here. Recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed 22 August 2012

I use trip advisor religiously when booking accommodation, and Budapest was no different. I had my choices narrowed down to three possibilities in this price range and was extremely pleased with my decision.
We stayed in late July and rented 3 rooms. Each room was enormous, fully outfitted with a kitchen and a well organized bathroom. Two of the rooms were on the 2nd and 3rd floors, ours was on the 4th floor near the room top terrace. The other two rooms had high ceilings and a great feel to them. Our room was exactly the same, just without the outrageously high ceilings. They were immaculately clean and nicely appointed.
Breakfast was included in our deal and was served from 7 until 10. No need to get up early and miss out. At 9:00 they even allow you to eat outside in an inner courtyard. Champagne and orange juice, any kind of coffee you like, an assortment of meats and cheeses, cereals, eggs, etc. As well, there was a menu you could choose from if nothing else suited.
I ultimately chose this hotel for its unique style and location. I do not like to stay in cookie cutter hotels and since I had my 71 year old mother in law and 69 year old father travelling with me, I wanted a central location. You don't realize how great it is until you get there. It was a 10 minute walk to the main tourist shopping area, the river and the parliament buildings. The hotel itself is a renovated apartment building surrounded by some inhabited buildings and some that don't look terribly safe. The character and history of the building is well described in a book on display in the lobby. It is a unique and interesting building.
The roof-top terrace was a great place to spend a quick happy hour at the end of the day before we headed out for supper. Plenty of shade in the middle of a scorching summer day.
The hot-tub in the basement was fine when my husband and I went to have a quick soak at 5:00, but felt weird when other people began to filter in. There are two sauna's as well, so the new arrivals stepped into the the sauna's and my husband and I stepped out of the hot-tub. I would not have felt comfortable in such a small space with men I didn't know.
All in all, I would definitely stay here again. The staff were all incredibly helpful, dinner reservations, recommendations, advice, etc. They were on hand to provide you with anything you needed 24/7.

Room Tip: The fourth floor rooms do not have elevator access, you walk up from the third floor. Staff will ta...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Dear”TYandJY”, Thank you for sharing your excellent comment on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you found Opera Garden Hotel & Apartments a good place to stay and we have met your expectations. It was a pleasure to be heard that you were satisfied with your rooms and the cleanliness. I was also glad to read that you enjoyed the products at buffet breakfast. I would like to thank you again for all the appreciated word regarding the style and design and in relation to other hotel facilities. I trust that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Good Hotel in an excellent location. Decent sized studio room with Kitchen. Would definitely stay here again. the hotel is situated in a pedestrianised zone ( taxis have to drop passengers off at the corner). THe Hotel is next to the opera house and Andrássy Avenue in Pest ( the flat side of Budapest!)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EastLothianDerek
operagardenhotel, Front Office Manager at Opera Garden Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

Dear”EastLothianDerek”, I would like to thank you for sharing your positive feedback on Tripadvisor. I was glad to read that you concerned our location excellent and were satisfied with your room. I trust that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

Great hotel. One of the best we've stayed in. Clean, new, just plain great. The breakfast was good, the bed was comfortable. We stayed there with a 2 year old and a 1 year old. The staff was very friendly and we would gladly stay there again. My one complaint was the hot tub - it was not hot at all and was a big disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear”Ehud123”, I would like to thank you for taking your time to leave your excellent comment on Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure to read that you had an enjoyable stay at Opera Garden Hotel & Apartments and were satisfied with the services we provide. I was sorry to read that you found the water temperature low in the Jacuzzi. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconveniences this has caused you and please note that we have already made the necessary actions to fix this issue. I trust that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 August 2012 via mobile

Great location. Great room with air conditioning and really comfortable bed The shower was superb. Polite and helpful staff. Impressive choice at breakfast. Highly recommend it! Only 2 min from opera house and 2 metro lines but in a quiet side street with lovely cafes and bars at hand. All in all, we really enjoyed the hotel and our week in Budapest.

1  Thank Gill P

Dear”Tripadvisor traveler”, Thank you for sharing your positive feedback on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you concerned our location good and were satisfied with your room and its amenities. It was also a pleasure to be heard that buffet breakfast menu have met your expectations. I would like to thank you again for recommending us to other travelers.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

We couldn't be happier with the Opera Garden Hotel. Our room (101) was well decorated, clean, and spacious enough to accommodate our 3 people or 4. Some people might find the rooms small but for us there was enough room to unwind after a long day exploring the city. The sauna and the hot tub were a big plus as well. We didn't think we were going to use it, but wound up going there every night to relax and soothe our sore muscles. The most memorable part of our stay at the hotel was the breakfast. I noticed a couple of reviewers said that breakfast was ok or simple, but in our opinion it was one of the best breakfasts we had during our trip throught Budapest, Prague, Geneva, and France. Eggs, meats, cheeses, omelet to order, fruits, cereal, baked goods, yogurts, juices, and wait for it.... Champagne. My boyfriend had a hard time dragging my mom and I out of the breakfast room:)

The staff was very courteous and helpful. We had a small mix up with Szechenyi bath tickets we bought at the hotel. We had 3 coupons for 500 fr off each which hotel accepted with no questions, but when we got to the bath, we were told that the coupons could only be used if you buy tickets at the bath ticket window. We had to pay the difference to cover the coupons amount in order to get in. However, when we called the hotel and explained the situation, the manager apologized and the amount was refunded during the check out at the hotel.
Can't wait to go back to Budapest and stay at the hotel again!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Viktoria1980
operagardenhotel, Front Office Manager at Opera Garden Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear”Viktoria1980”, I would like to thank you for your excellent feedback left on Tripadvisor. It was a great pleasure to read that we could make your stay memorable at Opera Garden Hotel & Apartments. I was glad that you were satisfied with your room and could take advantage on our wellness facilities. I was also delighted to be heard that buffet breakfast exceeded your expectations and found hotel staff to be both helpful and hospitable. I do apologize again for that slight mistake on our part regarding the bath tickets and trust that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.