“Super Senator but bring Euros to avoid charge!”

Senator Apartments Budapest
Ranked #40 of 644 Speciality Lodging in Budapest
Baku
“Super Senator but bring Euros to avoid charge!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Our third stay at Senator in the last year. Overall we were delighted with our stay. The location is fantastic: right in the middle of town and close to all transport. Kiraly utca and the surrounding district is full of eating options. We had a one-bedroom apartment, it was spacious, the bed was comfy, the kitchen well equipped and the lounge roomy enough for our daughter to sleep on the roll-out bed. While we were there the was a craft and designer market, an antique market and a dance performance in the ground floor atrium. The club/bar that is on the ground floor was also operating out in the atrium and was showing the world cup football. One difference I noticed, though it may have been the same on our previous stays, was the charge for paying by card or in cash. If you pay by card there is a 5% surcharge, so I decided to pay in cash. However, the price is quoted in Euros and I chose to pay in HUF, Senator converts the price using an exchange rate that equals a 2% difference from the effective exchange rate on the street. This seems less than fair to me. So my advice, bring Euros and pay in cash.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bakusean
Senator A, Guest Relations Manager at Senator Apartments Budapest, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear bakusean,

We appreciate the good rating you have been giving us continuously, and it makes us very glad that you are still delighted with your stay, inspite of some minor inconveniences.
We would like to keep you as our regular guest, so we will be happy to present the latest changes concerning our hotel bill settlement policy.
Look forward to greeting you soon during you next travel to Budapest.

Yours faithfully,

Senator Apartments

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Finnish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I always research my hotels carefully before going on vacation and regret having chosen the Senator, because this one was a near total "miss". I hope some future travelers can learn from the mistake we made in choosing this apartment for our holiday.

I had read reviews going back several months from when I booked the apartment in February or March - reviews were mostly positive with a few people saying the surrounding area was noisy or complaining of smoke coming in open windows. I wish I had gone back to read summer reviews because I had no idea there was no air conditioning on the property, also no ceiling fans and poor ventilation, even on a top floor.

We were a group of 7 including 2 seniors and 3 children. It was way too hot to sleep in late July without air conditioning, and open windows indeed meant smoke from others smoking on their balconies, and a fair amount of noise. It was so hot the first night the kids sweltered, father in law slept on the couch, and my husband slept on an air mattress we had brought with us out on the terrace.

Make no mistake - the location is excellent but this is the only good thing I can honestly say about the Senator. The street is full of eateries, bistros, and bars. This is a big party area and lots of people are on the streets at night. The first floors of the "Central Passage" development are unoccupied except for a couple of apartment rental offices, a makeshift bar, and an entrance to a nightclub which we had to walk thru/past with the kids to get to our unit.

Aside from the a/c situation, the furniture is cheap, beds are uncomfortable, both showers had black mold, and there was no telephone in the unit, which I personally think is a safety issue. They also make you sign something stating the Senator is not responsible in case of loss or theft, which makes me think the building is not very secure. I felt sick leaving all the windows open at night knowing there were all kinds of random people hanging around the lower levels of the building. First night we had to leave them open because of the heat, but the a/c units are mobile and need to vent outdoors, which means they also need to be open when the a/c is in use. There were indeed three bedrooms as advertised but the second and third were very small with the double beds sideways in the room so someone can't get out without climbing over the other person.

They made me pay the full amount at the check in, my only other option was to pay a one night deposit and the balance the next day, which seemed silly. Wish I had only paid one night, though, because we wanted to change after the first night.

Went down the second morning to ask for three air conditioning units (which is extra charge - we wanted one for each bedroom) and although they said yes we came back at the end of the day and they had delivered only one. My mother in law raised heck and they somehow managed a second one.

I don't feel like rating "terrible" because in spite of all this, I have actually stayed in worse places (!) But I won't recommend it to anyone and we won't stay there again. We loved Budapest and urge people to visit but in terms of accommodations, one can certainly do better.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank LivingInWien
Senator A, Guest Relations Manager at Senator Apartments Budapest, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear LivingInWien,

Thank you for your not too positive but very constructive review. We strive to come up to our guests’ expectation and your remarks will help us to develop a service level that could comfort you and all our future visitors.

Concerning the problem of air condition – 80 % of our rooms are equipped with installed A/C facility, for the rest we can provide mobile units. We can always guarantee to supply each apartament with 1 unit. Further ones can be requested upon availability. In your case, as it happened during the hottest peak season of July when we were fully booked, we brought one into your room right upon request, and a second one the same day evening, as soon as we could got hold of it from a lately disengaged apartment. Still we are sorry about the inconveniences we have caused to your family during the nights spent with us, noise and smoke coming from outside is unfortunatelly beyond our control.

You have also mentioned the quality of our furniture – we are succesively changing all the beds and sofas as we are aware that such kind of hotel equippment wears of very fast. It has been a week that we purchased brand new beds for some of the rooms, in order to improve our guests’ sleep quality.

As for the cleanness issues – our housekeeping department try to do their best when it comes to our visitors’ hygienic requirements, so feel free to contact the reception in case of percieving unsatisfying details during your stay.

While not having a land line phone connection with the reception, our staff can always be contacted via our mobile phone, the number of which is indicated on the business card we give to our guests upon arrival. Should you happen to feel unsafe in any of the appartments, we inform you that there is a 24h safety guard patrol in Central Passage, and we can provide their phone availability to our guests or we contact them immediately on your request. Do not hesitate to ask for it.

We have a policy – not entering guestrooms without the supervision of the inhabitants, therefore each time a special request occures and you are not going to be present when it is (for example an A/C unit) delivered, we have to ask for your written permission in advance, in order not to be held liable should anything disappear. This is a widely used policy for hotels which do not have built in safe boxes in their rooms. At the same time we can offer you to store minor valuabels in our central safe.

Finally we do understand the outrage caused to you by our hotel bill paying process but we
can assure you we are applying the same methods and regulations as any other member of the hospitality industry. Paying on the day of the arrival, or on the subsequent day as latest, is the policy we follow.

Nevertheless we would like to accommodate you again, in order to prove that we can make it better, and show you that your opinion does really count.

Best Regards

Senator Apartments Team
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We had a 6th floor apartment with a large balcony. The apartment is above a shopping centre type place but don't be put off by the location as the apartment is very nice and central to everything. An added bonus is the office for the apartments is in the building and they are very helpful booking airport transfers and spa entry tickets for us.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank dpstone
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed in a one bedroom flat for three nights in July 2014. While not perfect, it does have some very good points, but a few things that could be improved:

Pros:

EXCELLENT and helpful staff (I would like to single out Robert as extremely helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. He greeted me and showed me to my room and gave me some great tips on things to do). All the staff were lovely though.

Perfect location

Very clean room with good facilities

Cons:

The wifi did not work at all well in my room

Charges - there is a list of charges for things in the room, which all feels quite strict and austere. To have to pay extra for air conditioning, for example, feels quite mean. In a city that can get hot, for a four star property, I would expect aircon to be included in the price

No shower curtain/screen in my bathroom, which meant the floor was constantly wet.

As other people have commented, the surrounding property is kind of like a derelict shopping mall, and a bit eerie, but really there is not much the management of the apartments can do about that. Overall, for the price, it was good.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank AndyUK76
Dallas
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed here with my family of 5 in the 2 bedroom apartment. We found the place easy to find (with help from the GPS) that had parking right outside. Pros: great location next to many of the tourist hot-spots and by numerous restaurants, bars and stores with a good price and strong Wi-Fi. Cons: bedding and linen did not seem fresh (smelled like mildew) and an additional charge to receive the AC remote, which after 3 hours, started to leak profusely. If I was able to award half stars, I would rate 3 1/2. If location and number of beds is a priority, I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michelle T
Papa, Hungary
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Location is a looking like abandoned mall. The place is dirty and small. The apartment the we got is so small. We have to pay extra just to get a AC! who does that? I mean if you are traveling on a budget I guess its okay but don't expect to be comfortable in this apartment.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

When we arrive to the apartments we notices that they could be for families or friends.
The staff is very helpfull and have a great atitud. You can find a very clean and good room that fits your needs.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Agustin T
Senator A, Vendégkapcsolati vezető at Senator Apartments Budapest, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Oosch ,

First of all We would like to say thank you, for choosing us and then giving such a high rating to our services on Tripadvisor.com.

We put big emphasis on our guests, and also the services that we provide.

We are trying to improve our service to make our guests feel even more comfortable.

Sincerely Senator Apartments.