“You'll learn something!”

and up
Budapest Market Hall Tour and Cooking Class
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Chefparade Cooking School is contemporary cosmopolitan cooking studio where you can master the basics of Hungarian cooking in a fun and interactive atmosphere. Our hands-on courses give you the opportunity to cook and ask questions side-by-side with our Chefs. Learn about the basic ingredients and spices like paprika along with best cooking practices so that you’ll be able to regale your family and friends for a fantastic Hungarian dinner in your homecountry.The courses run in the late morning hours finishing with a lunch. Our classes are not only cooking classes, but you get the most information of Hungary and Budapest. People, traditions, moods, tastes, stories.
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Just finished our Hungarian Cooking Class, just my friend and I in the class so nice and relaxed and private. The market was nice to have some translations done for us but we didn't stop to buy things which I thought was better. Everyone had bought something from a market before. Anyway the cooking class itself was great, Cilla was friendly and shared stories of her travels and history about Hungary which was really interesting. We cooked soup, a chicken main and pancakes, I liked the way we did everything at the same time. We finally sat down and stuffed ourselves silly! Just do it for a laugh and to see another side of Budapest.

1  Thank PickyPants101
somloi, Vendégkapcsolati vezető at Chefparade Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear PickyPants,

thank you so much for the comment. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our Hungarian cooking course and the dishes you made have achieved success. Our goal always, besides a great Hungarian lunch and well teaching is an open-armed service and creating a friendly atmospehere.
The market tour we organize is not a real shopping program but an informative, culinary walking tour around the 1st Budapest indoor Market from the 1800's.
But we will pay attention in the future to buy ingredients as well for the cooking.
Once again thank you for your review.
Warmest regards,
behalf of the Chefparade Team, Lilla

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Kinga was our tour guide and chef teacher. She was so knowledable, passionate, fun, and even made me want to cook. I never took a cooking class abroad, but now I will not visit a country without it. Kings was perfect and I don't even like to cook. Curcinam

1  Thank Daliza C
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I spent most of my career working internationally, have experienced a multitude of cuisines and love to cook. Now that I’m retired I continue to travel extensively to Europe and always book a cooking class in the various regions of any country I visit. Having never been to Hungary the brief class I had with Chefparade in Budapest was one of the best I’ve ever participated in.

As a bonus the class started off with a visit to Budapest’s Grand Market Hall one of the largest in Europe and we learned how to select the ingredients we would use in our cooking class. The instruction was very professional with both historic/cultural references and cooking techniques. The class was small, only six of us, the kitchen was very well equipped and the classroom area perfect for the instruction and personal interaction with classmates.

If you have the privilege of taking a class at Chefparade Cooking School don’t leave without their Hungarian Classics Cookbook by Kócsa László Chefparade’s founder. It has almost 50 beautifully illustrated, step-by-step and simple recipes. With this cookbook and the inspiration you will get from the class you can cook Hungarian classics like a native.

1  Thank LesTrekker
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband was a bit skeptical that he would enjoy this experience, but he had a wonderful time. We started with a tour of the Central Market which we probably would not have seen otherwise and ate sausages and langosh for breakfast. Again, an experience we would probably not have had otherwise. Our guide, Lilla, was engaging and knowledgeable and very helpful with the skill-challenged husband. We cooked a fabulous 3-course meal and brought home the cookbook and some Hungarian spices so we can replicate the experience at home. I highly recommend you sign up for Chefparade and bon appetit!

1  Thank Gail M
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were so looking forward to this cooking class and were so disappointed. When the class itself started in the markets we thought we would do the shopping and select the products ourselves but no it was just a tour of the markets which we had already done so wasted this valuable time. Then there was confusion with the transportation. Then to make things worse a lot of the preparation had already been done for us. Who was doing the cooking here anyway? We got to work and started to cook a soup and then we were told that the spice we had been given was wrong and so many had to start over. Luckily we were not one of these. I cook by taste and the 'chef' come teacher took offense to us adding to obtain the flavour we were looking for. Nevertheless we continued to add anyway. Then came time to cook the dessert which was divided among the whole group. Why couldn't we make the whole dessert? Even then the 'Chef' come teacher put the different components together again robbing us of one of the experiences. Then the main course of chicken was cooked and by this time we were so 'dirty' on not being able to do so much more, we powered on to finish and eat our own results. Well except for the dessert that is as we all had a hand in that. We were more than pleased with our courses though which did make the day just a pass in our minds. Would I ever do it again or recommend it to others? Never.

1  Thank Bruce H
somloi, General Manager at Chefparade Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Bruce,
We are sorry to hear that you were not utterly satisfied with our cooking
program.
We always pursue to provide the best experience for every client who would
like to cook with us, so thank you for your comment, we are definitely going
to learn from that.
Although let us explain why some of the hiccups happened:
Because of the delay, that was beyond our control, we needed to use some
short-cuts in order to finish the program within the scheduled timeframe.
Short-cuts such as: shortening the market tour, preparing some of the
ingredients in advance, divide the dessert between the groups.
As for the wrong spice: as in any kitchen mistakes happen, with us too.
There is nothing else to do than correct the fault. Fortunately we
recognized and corrected this mistake on time, at the beginning of the
cooking, so the dish eventually was not compromised. But naturally we are
going to pay far more attention next time with the set-up.

We are hoping Budapest remains as a nice memory in your mind after all.