“budapest is wonderful!”

and 1 more site!
Oleander Hostel
Ranked #445 of 677 Speciality Lodging in Budapest
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I highly recommend this hostel. The staff, was friendly, charming and very kind. I also liked the location This hostel is located just 2 metro stops from the train station. What is more, just nearby, you can take the hop-on-hop-off bus and if you just walk straigh a little bit, there is a white bridge and just next to it you can take a cruise. Good wifi connection and the cleanliness and cozyness of this place is remarkable. I had caught a cold because previous hostels did not have a good heating system. But here, I had no problem and the room was warm enough. Price is really low, but I think even if the price was higher, I would even choose this hostel. I miss this hostel and the staff very very much.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 May 2013

I have been to many different hostels in my life and I have to admit this is the hostel where I had the most fun! Though the cleanliness could be better, it is not entirely the staff's fault if things are dirty, it is hard to keep things clean when so many people are around. The staff made me feel like home from the first minute, on top of giving a map with all the sights marked for me, they explained me what was worth visiting and they helped me with all my questions. I especially liked that the hostel was not too big, this way it felt really cozy and it was easy to meet and get in touch with people. I definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Some of the people care a lot about cleaning and stuff, if u r one of those persons I suggest do not pick this hostel. If u are an easy going person and dont care too much about that, this might just be the place for you. With a great staff (especially Anna so funny and cute) they will suggest u a bunch of great places on where to go and what to do. Extremely cheap is a heck of an option to sleep in the city center.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Stayed for a few nights in August during Sziget Festival, The staff were extremely friendly on check in, helpful and always happy to help and talk to. At night the hostel is unattended and we had people knocking at the door asking for beds, not great if your a light sleeper and one of you has to go answer! The hostel is in a great location,situated next door to an internet cafe, and a few bars along a side street. Set in a typical old style building with a courtyard. Only around ten minutes walk to a very busy street with restaurants and bars etc. Very close to the chain bridge. The rooms are basic bunks, but very comfy. The bathroom was absolutely stinking everytime i used it, full of mud and dirt. But the rest of the hostel was fine, bedrooms were clean, kitchen was clean. Really nice lounge area to sit and meet other travellers. Would definately stay here again

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank han1313
Reviewed 8 April 2012

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mufademia B
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Dirty, dirty, dirty!

So i was curious to see what others had written about this hotel and then I realised that half of the reviews are more than 1 year old!

Went with some friends and stayed 2 nights in March 2012. I would agree that it is central but by no means is it comfortable. This hostel only has 3 rooms, of which all have several beds.There is one toilet, a bathroom with a toilet of all which are incredibly dirty. Do not go here at all and certainly not if you are just a couple of friends. The queue for the bathroom is crazy.
The common area is right next to the receptonist desk and there is a lumpy thing in the common room, that they call a SOFA. The dirt around the place was just crazy, even when we had showers we still felt dirty. The beds were not made (as half expected). There were hairs on all pillows, pillow cases and covers. The beds were so worn out and the door was not secure. When we got there and checked in, the receptionist asked us to wait whilst she prepared the room. When we came back the other receptionist said the room was ready, at that point we found our door unlocked!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2012

It was very cheap, true so I couldn't expect much more... But when it's full you may have to share one single bathroom with more than 20 people! If you want to take a number 2 and a shower in the morning, well you'd better wake up at night otherwise you may have to wait hours until you're done. Other than that, not bad. I was only there for 2 nights.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends