“Central location, good value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Continental Hotel Budapest

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #37 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Central location, good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

This hotel is well placed for visiting central Budapest. Turn left out of the main entrance and walk for 5 minutes or so. You'll come the New York Palace Cafe, which is worth a visit. Directly outside this is a stop for the Giraffe hop on hop off bus. The hotel itself is fairly average, but the staff are friendly and helpful. We had a small problem when we arrived and it was dealt with promptly. Breakfast is adequate, but nothing special. All in all, a decent hotel in a useful position.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Dear VixMiff,

We are honored and humbled by your kind words. Our team takes much pride in the quality of experience they deliver to our guests every day. It makes me particularly delighted, that they were able to solve the minor problem, you encountered and I am going to express my gratitude to them personally.
As the hotel building itself, having almost a 200-years old history, and the breakfast, presenting the typical Hungarian breakfast items beside the standard buffet breakfast features are two of the highlights at Continental Hotel Budapest ****superior, I was dumbfounded to read you found them only „average”. It prompts us though to make our services even more individual, and I truly hope, that we will have the opportunity in the near future to prove you, that our property and our breakfast service is way above average.

Warm regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

This hotel is amazing! One of the best I've stayed in and remarkable value for money - you've read reviews which say value for money but this hotel truly is. Check out package holidays with Jet 2! The hotel reception, lounges and bars etc are well appointed and service from the staff was excellent.

The room we stayed in was extremely well appointed and clean and did the job. It was modern and provided the comforts you needed.

Yes, the hotel is about a 15 minute walk from downtown Budapest but a few minutes in the opposite direction is a tube line which will whisk you there in no time or alternatively will take you to Keleti Pu - the main railway station for international journeys. So I kind of liked it being out of the centre where you pay a lot more to stay! Also, it seems as though the whole area around the hotel is being developed and I get the feeling that more and more it will become a hub. There are some great restaurants close by. Five minutes away is the start of one of the main ring roads and a walk along this will take you past many shops, restaurants etc to Andrassy Ave - the main, and exclusive shopping area. Also the location of 'The House of Terror' and Heroes Sq at the top. Both well worth a visit. So, whilst some may say location is an issue I would tend to disagree because it's easy enough to get to all the places you would wish to go to.

We did a day trip to Bratislava and Vienna for next to nothing. Bratislava, being roughly 2 hours away and well recommened as a day trip.

Give this hotel a go and I'm sure you will not be disappointed. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Paul72UK
Dear Paul72UK,

First of all let me thank you for your stay at Continental Hotel Budapest ****superior and for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit.
It makes me extremely cheerful that you had such a memorable all round experience with us. Earning the “One of the best hotels I've stayed in” title makes me especially proud, beside the features of this historic building, it is the great team I have here that makes this hotel so special. I have already passed on your kind words to them.
I am particularly glad that you enjoyed being in the Budapest area, we do have such a wonderful variety of pubs, restaurants, shops, museums and tourist attractions all around the hotel, it is no wonder, that the location of the building is beloved not only amongst tourists, but a very popular district as an evening destination for Hungarian people as well.
Thank you again for sharing your experience with future guests, and for recommending them our property. I was glad that we met your expectations during your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kind regards,
Sheffield, Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

I booked this hotel on the back of the excellent feedback I'd read on Tripadvisor for a 4 night stay, a pleasure trip with my partner to the beautiful city of Budapest. To start with, can I say this hotel did not disappoint....it's beautiful & a credit to all involved in the conversion from a period bathhouse to modern stylish hotel with an eclectic mix of period features & ultra modern fittings..

I booked with a mix & match package of flight, transfer & hotel. On reading the reviews & booking, I later noticed a free room upgrade voucher at the top of the Continental Zara's Tripadvisor page. I printed off the voucher & took the liberty of emailing the manager (Geher Zoltan.....in Hungary they sometimes say the family name first & the chosen / first name last...a little tip for visitors) to advance warn him. My partner & myself stopped 'in' the week before the weekend of the Hungarian Grand Prix / F!, so I really didn't think they would be able to honour this...but I received a very courteous email back from the manager informing me that he had received my request.

On walking through the revolving door....just WOW! WOW,WOW,WOW! Wow factor! We arrived in the evening & this hotel lobby (& also in the the mezzanine bar above) look fantastic at night! We were checked in by very helpful & courteous staff & found this throughout our stay... from dining room staff, porters, cleaners, receptionists, bar staff, even maintenance staff took time to wish good morning or just say hello. This gave a very friendly feel & is obviously a very customer care orientated organisation.

We were given an excellent room upgrade to a "deluxe room"...so from here on please take this in mind for the review. We received a welcome pack including map (with hotel location clearly indicated on it so very useful), free wi-fi code for laptops / smartphones, leaflets on various things to do, told of the chargeable mini-bar, informed of the inclusive tea / coffee facilities in the room & given a robe & slippers to use during our stay.We were also informed of the free safe in the room. Rooms can be reached by lifts or stairs. We stayed on the first floor in room 134. On entering the room it had a very Art Deco feel about it.....modern & clean. Black gloss / stainless / leather headboard to ceiling. Bathroom fittings are impressive. The general lighting was concealed & was calming / atmospheric, with two options of specific lighting either side of the bed. The double bed had three pillows on each side & to be honest the sleep quality was excellent. The bed was comfortable, & the pillows gave options for height & sleep quality. The duvets were two singles so no waking up with the duvet missing & the partner snuggled up in the lot!

The room had a good quality / blackout Roman type blind that kept out the early morning sun for those wishing for a lie-in. There was also good quality free air con in the room.

The other half mentioned the proper type hairdryer in the bathroom which got a thumbs up along with the magnified shaving / make-up mirror. The bathroom fittings were very stylish & modern throughout.

The breakfast is excellent & caters for almost every nationality. Breads / cheeses / cold meats / English b/fast / cereals / jams / pancakes & maple syrup / salad / fruit / coffee / teas / fruit juices / hazelnut spread etc. We ate breakfats in the courtyard & really liked the atmosphere.

The room was cleaned everyday & was spotless.

We didn't use the "wellness suite" as we were trying to cram as much as possible into visiting Budapest as we'd never been before. We were either visiting or eating or sleeping. I also wanted to visit the Szechenyi furdo so we went here. However, the hotel facilities look very impressive with rooftop garden for sunbathing, swimming. Also just indoors were sauna & indoor pool. The grass on the outside roof area gave it a softer feel. I hope to visit the hotel again & will use the facilities provided; they look excellent!

Whilst we were there a bulb went in a reading light in our room. We reported this problem & it was fixed when we returned. We knew it would be as customer care really matters here. Well done.

Top tips:-
1. Take a drink at night in the mezzanine bar......illuminated at night this looks fantastic & pictures really do not do it justice.
2. Take a look at the pictures in the display cabinet to the left of the reception of the condition of the old ruined bath house & appreciate the renovation job!

All in all a big thanks & well done to Zoltan & all his staff!

Room Tip: Free room upgrade voucher on trip advisor!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SteveTheSteelWorker
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear „SteveTheSteelWorker”,

First of all let me thank you for your extensive feedback encompassing flattering words regarding our facilities and service. I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed the atmosphere implemented at Continental Hotel Budapest ****superior, where we have managed to bring together the enduring history of the former Hungaria bath with the elements of the modern art deco interior design.

It is my personal delight, that I was adequately able to fulfil your desire, brought to my attention prior to your arrival, despite having a fully booked hotel during your stay as well. We always try to do our best to accomodate our guest’s requests in order to make sure, that one has the most enjoyable stay at Continental Hotel Budapest ****superior.

I am most humbled by your gracious comments about the size, the set-up and the equipment of our guest rooms. During the interior construction of the guest areas we tried to realize furnishing and decoration, which is not only decorative, but also practical and comfortable. Feedbacks, as yours confirm us, that we did a great job with the selection.

I thank you for appreciating our high standard of service. We are incredibly passionate about the service we deliver and every time we receive such a thrilling comment, we know we are moving in the right direction and that our team has managed to go the extra mile to enhance your stay.

I will personally look forward to welcoming you and your family back when your travels next bring you to Budapest!

Warmest regards,
Nicosia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Great location, next to the metro, bus and tram station. You can reach any point of the city within 5-15 minutes. Hospital staff, excellent breakfast! Comfortable rooms in novel and clear design! I will definetly revisit it soon!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dear M M,

Thank you for taking the time to post such an impressive TripAdvisor review of your recent stay with us. The guest experience is something, we take very seriously and we very much appreciate you being one of our guests. I am utterly thrilled that you were impressed with the design, the service, provided by our staff, as well as with the high quality of the breakfast selection.

I am delighted to hear that you already plan to return, and please do not hesitate to contact personally myself, if I can be of any assistance prior to your next arrival.

Warm regards,
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Recently returned from a two weeks stay in Budapest at Continental Hotel Zara. We chose this hotel due to the favourable reviews it received on this site. Even better it was part of a package with Jet2, and the price was unbelievably inexpensive.

One arrival at the hotel was swamped with guest checking in, but it did not take long until we ourselves were attended to. The member of staff apologised for the short wait and checked us in promptly. A bellboy accompanied us to our room, and explained any points that needed explaining. The room we were staying in was a standard one, but it as perfect for two and had all the mode cons. After a quick freshen up we were off to the New York Cafe, (which is very close) for drinks and fantastic cake. One our return we found a letter thanking us for our stay and a bottle of white wine accompanying it. This was the first of a few gifts we received.

As we are not morning people we only did breakfast twice, but the selections of foods and drinks were rather good. Nearly every morning I would have coffee in The Gallery Bar , which had a nice relaxed feel to it, and was also a good place for a nightcap.

My wife and I had dinner twice in the restaurant, once on the night we arrived, and one of the Wednesday's of our stay. (Wed in summer is BBQ night). Both times the food was very nice, and the staff attentive. BBQ night is especially good, as it is buffet style and a set price, not only that we received an alcoholic cocktail and an orange juice.

Hotel Zara can be proud of her staff, as they were very polite and happy to help. The housekeeping staff kept our room well stocked with fresh towels and nice and clean. And there was the other gifts we received, at the end of the first week there was a fruit plate with chocolates, and a few days before we returned home, it was two mugs filled with sweets.

We found the hotel was not far from the centre of the city, as there was two different streets that lead you to centre. And being as Pest is the flat side of the city, walking was rather easy, though the metro, trams and buses had stops near the hotel.

Budapest itself is a beautiful city with plenty to see and do. The residents of the city are happy to give you directions if you are unsure of all the side streets. Eating and drinking is a pleasure, as there are many restaurants and cafes to chose from. Its you enjoy coffee and cake...its heaven.

I would definitely recommend at trip to Budapest, and most definitely recommend you stay in Continental Hotel Zara, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kirisan66
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Kirisan66,

Thank you so much for your favourable and generous feedback regarding your recent stay at Continental Hotel Budapest **** superior and for painting such a wholesome image of our Hotel. I was delighted that we met your expectations in all departments, and it makes me particularly glad, that you are mainly satisfied with our Food and Beverage outlets: the Gallery Bar, the Restaurant, with our fantastic BBQ-evenings on Wednesdays, and with our breakfast selection.

As you mentioned, our central location is very advantageous to our guests both for those travelling on business (as we are located in the center of the business life) or for leisure (as the touristic attractions, restaurants, bars are easily accessible either on foot or by public transportation). Many thanks for your recommendation, I am quite sure, that your advocacy will be of considerable advantage to future guests of Continental Hotel Budapest superior****.

Our team are all 100% devoted to deliver the highest levels of service and exceed our guests’ expectations at every opportunity. As always I have passed on your kind words to them. I really do hope that you will join us again in the near future so I can personally welcome you back to us.

With kindest regards,
Jyvaskyla, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Just spent 4 nights in Budapest in Continental Hotel Zara. The hotel was really comfort, clean, nice, the staff was friendly and helpful. I can warmly recommend this place to everyone. The breakfast was also very delicious, there was something to everybody :) The only problem was that the hotel was quite far from the city center. It's a walkable distance but after a long day it's quite hard... ;) The matresses were a little bit too hard for us to sleep, but I didn't mind that so much. And the three pools were just great to relax in when you've been in shops (or where ever) the whole day!

When you go to Budapest, don't forget to visit some spa and absolutely remenber to visit The New York Cafè where you can enjoy the best chocolatecakes in town ;)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Saijamaria,

First of all let me thank you for choosing Continental Hotel Budapest **** Superior as the accommodation for your recent visit in Budapest and also for taking the time to honour us with such a favourable feedback. I appreciate your complimentary remarks about our breakfast selection, and I am particularly delighted, that you had a chance to try our wellness facility, and that our services were of your greatest satisfaction.

As you mentioned yourself, the hotel is located in a walkable distance from the busy touristic area, in a very exciting district of Budapest, the former Jewish quarter with many excellent restaurants and bars. As the public transportation system of Budapest is fairly extensive, the tourist attractions are easily accessible, but you are still away from the hussle and bussle, getting an excellent opportunity to have a peaceful holiday in the middle of the city.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our Hotel someday in the future.

Best regards,