“Great hotel for a conference or workshop”

Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #39 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great hotel for a conference or workshop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2012

The hotel has a lot of history and has been remodeled with much taste. The combination between the modern (steel and glass) and the original structures is done very nicely.
The conference room is spectacular, with high roofs, a balcony and plenty natural light through a big glass wall in front of the room. This makes a difference in a 5.5 day workshop! Staff helping us in the workshop were very helpful and effective in meeting our sometimes unorthodox requests.
My room was small, but nicely decorated in a modern style. Areas for improvement are the TVs. They are far too small and the choice of cable channels is not as broad as in other hotels. For example, BBC was not available during my stay. We could tune in, but had no audio. As the purpose of the trip was business, rooms should have larger and more comfortable work spaces with a chair to match.
The concierge was very helpful and provided excellent recommendations for dinner.
All in all, a great experience. Would like to return on a vacation to continue enjoying beautiful Budapest.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, 30 November 2012
Dear Manuel C,

conference participants post review on Tripadvisor quite seldom. Especially if staying for more than 5 days in a hotel. These days make time enough to properly evaluate a hotel. I am happy to read that you were satisfied with the service of the staff despite of your unorthodox requests. I am sorry to hear that the sound of the TV set was without sound. We could definitely fix this problem if we had known it in due time.

I hope you will have the opportunity to return privately in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2012

Just got back from two nights stay at the Continental Zara Hotel and had a fabulous stay! The staff were very friendly and helpful with suggestions and directions, only problem is there is no tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms.

Would definitely recommend the hotel to friends and family - Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank VP1987186338
Dear Guest,

it sounds great that you described your stay as fabolous. It's a pity that you did not advise us about your tea/coffee requests as we provide ketttles in the standard rooms on request basis only.

Many thanks for recommending our hotel to your friends.

Norrtalje, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012 via mobile

Me and my 8 yr old daughter went to Budapest for the first time. I booked airport transfer to and from the hotel and it worked perfect! When arriving to the hotel the greeting was excellent. Check in was smooth with very good information. Room was clean and nicely furnished. All staff members very serviceminded. Pool/spa area very nice. Overall a hotel gem! We will definately return!

Dear Guest,

I am very satisfied to read how perfectly and smoothly the hotel was operating. This is however not a mgaic or a coincidence rather the normal operation.

Many thnaks for your high scores and look forward to your return!

Dartford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at the Continetal Zara, my room was clean and tidy and even in a basic room the design was great. The staff were always very helpful and polite. The only downside was there was no tea/coffee making facilities otherwise I really can complain

1 Thank kat23uk
Dear Guest,

I was sorry to hear that despite your pleasant experiences you missed the tea/coffee making facilities. We provide them in the standard rooms on request basis, proper information is available in the guest directory in the rooms.

Many thanks and best regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

Just returned with my wife from a 4 day stay, magnificent hotel in a superb location ,polite staff very clean,great breakfast the only fault for me was on last day had set menu in restaraunt and menu states 3 courses 15.95 UHF however when received the bill was charged extra for the starter and dessert, I did not want the embarrassment of confronting the waiter so never said anything, wish I had because I have come home with a bitter taste in my mouth after what was a wonderful stay.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your excellent scores and your feedback. I am sure there is a fatal misunderstanding with the lunch menu bill. The total bill was HUF 1,590 for the 3 course menu, but if the meals were exchanged between the 2 and 3 course menus, the meals appear itemized on the bill. The total of it is however still HUF 1.590 for the three meals (1 soup, 1 main course, 1 dessert).

I hope you will check your invoice and will revise your bad taste.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights, we arrived at the hotel at 1pm and they kindly told us our room would be ready at 2pm as stated on our booking. They took care of our bags and we went up to the bar for an hour.

We checked in at 2pm as promised and were given useful information and they showed us on the map where the hotel was, and things nearby.

The hotel room was a good size, large queen size bed, wardrobe, minibar, safe, wall mounted tv with radio, films to buy and other interactive features.

Very good service from reception we wanted some slippers as we were going for a massage and they delivered them very promptly! The massage spa on the second floor was excellent and great value - between certain times in the week you can get 20% off - so my girlfriend has a 60 min relaxing massage and she really enjoyed it!

On the top floor there is a pool, Jacuzzi, stream room and sauna which I used once - it was very good, good temperature of both the pool and Jacuzzi. There is also an outdoor pool however this was closed due to the season.

The hotel had just had a painting finished in the outside courtyard and the scaffolding was taken down so it was nice to see it fully.

The Araz restaurant is great and wish I had tried it again but maybe next time. If you pay to your room you get 50% off alcoholic drinks!

The hotel is in a great location only a 10/15 minute walk to the River Danube, we walked to Buda Castle over Chain Bridge in 30 min, as well as Parliament - so easy for most places!

Room Tip: Floor 4 was nice and quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your detailed description on the hotel's facilities and services. I am sure your feedback is useful for the readers of Tripadvisor. It's a pity that you did not benefit from the 50% discount on alcoholics for staying guests in our Araz Restaurant. May be next time!

Many thanks and best regards,
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

We went for a getaway week end in Budapest with my partner and had a very pleasant stay at Continental Zara hotel.

The room was clean and modern and I must say that the building itself is quite impressive and for instance the big lobby is quite nice as well. The bathroom is a bit small so you cant brush your teeth both at the same time without pushing each other for example but that is ok.
Only one issue: I didn't manage to lower the temperature in the room (I tried changing it on the control panel but it didn't work) so it was very very warm at night.

Great service, the staff is extremely friendly and helpful and helped us with directions as well as with booking a restaurant.

The location is not too bad but you still need to take public transport or walk at least 25min to get to the center. There must be some bars closeby because you can hear (drunk) people in the street from time to time at night.

I am not sure what the regular price is but we got a pretty good deal online so it was definitely worth the money.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your efforts to share your thoughts with the readers of Tripadvisor. On one hand I am very to read how much you enjoyed the Hotel, but on the other side I am really very sorry for the noise of the people coming from the nearby pubs and for the temperature of the room. If we had known about it we would have certainly either repaired it or would have offered you an other room.

Many thanks nad best regards,