“Best hotel I've ever stayed in”

Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #40 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Best hotel I've ever stayed in”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

What a great first experience of Budapest, firstly to stay in a hotel like this....excellent!! The revolving door entrance is usually pushed for you by the 2 doormen who take your bags as soon as you enter. All staff are as pleasant as this also. They say that the Dubai staff are the most attentive, well they must be outstanding as this Hotel's staff are the most pleasant that I've come across yet. The foyer of the hotel is beautiful and the rooms are small but also beautifully decorated. The hotel has a brown and gold theme to it, which makes it feel classier than the 4 stars that it's given. Lighting in the rooms is a bit dark if you are trying to hunt for things in the dark wardrobe but still OK. The spa is good, not great and there is a small charge to use it, even although I thought that it should be free if you were a guest. Food is wonderful with the Hungarian Goulash etc. but wait til you go down for breakfast. Second to none. The choice is superb and all freshly cooked. The hotel is within reach of the hub of Budapest, the food market, the Danube and all the other tourist attractions. Highlights of Budapest are the Spas, the House of Terror, the Food Market, the Food, Goulash soup, the Spas and the Zara breakfast, oh and did I say the Spas. The outdoor Spa in winter is bracing to walk through snow to enter but once you're in, so warm.

1 Thank Ralph F
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Dear Guest,

it is really complimenting to compare the service of our four star superior hotel with the service of a Dubai hotel. We try to do our best and despite of our best efforts we fail - at least according some reviews. Fortunately not in your case. The choice and the fresh ingredients are really far above the average four star hotels' offer, but reading such satisfied reviews, it is worth for it.

I hope you will return when the rooftop outside pool is in operation to enjoy the view of the city.

Many thanks for your review and scores and best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 10 December 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Zara hotel, and have to say we do not have a bad word to say about it. Rooms were very warm and comfortable, hotel reception staff could not do enough to ensure our stay was relaxed and easy.
The only thing... The wellness spa on the top floor was lovely overall, but they did allow children in (splashing around and being noisy) which wasn't very relaxing! But overall I would definitely stay again!
Oh and one more thing- was slightly embarrassed to be English as some English guests there were pretty rude and demanding to the staff ! There is no need to be they are fabulous at their jobs.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest,

many thanks for your overhelming attributes. Do not shame yourself for some unpolite guests as it may happen nowadays in almost all hotels and with all guests from all over the world. The same is valid for naughty children. Our staff is trained to deal with such guests, although our tools are limited. Many thanks for preticting my staff.

I really appreciate your high scores.

London, UK
Reviewed 10 December 2012

Highly recommended - rest assured you will have a good stay here. Location is good, just 2 bus stops from Elisabet bridge and easily walkable from the Chain Bridge. Staff are friendly and attentive - no waiting around for assistance as there were plenty of friendly faces on reception and waiting on the door.
On arrival we were taken to our deluxe room which was tastefully decorated and a decent size for a European capital city. We had a quick drink in the bar upstairs which is cosy, if a little on the more expensive side for Budapest.
We ordered breakfast in bed and paid a little extra but well worth it for the ability to go back to bed for a little while to sleep off previous nights excesses. We were also given a fruit basket with chocolates to celebrate my birthday which was a lovely touch.
The beds were very comfy, the temperature of the room was perfect even though it was -11 outdoors and the bathroom was nice and modern.
The room was spotless and the cleaners unintrusive.
Overall I rate the hotel very highly - there are some cool bars around the area, it is well served by public transport and the staff were all very helpful.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe which was on a quiet street and a little bigger than standard - upgrade may be worth...
Dear Guest,

let me wish you all the best for your birthday first. I can feel from you words how much you enjoyed your stay from the very first moment.Reading such a satisfied review is a very good feedback for our work and I thank you for it.

I am sure your positive and objective review is a good tool for the readers of Tripadvisor in selecting a good hotel with prime location and facilities.

Thansk for oyur high rating and best regards,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I stayed at Zara Continental Hotel during my recent business trip for 7 nights and it was a pleasant experience. The hotel is located at a quiet street at the old Jewish district and at a historically restored old Hungarian bath house. The building itself deserves much attention from the tourists. The room is beautifully and tastefully decorated. The room is spacious with lots of amenities and the lighting in the room is so soothing and romantic. The room service as well as the buffet breakfast were excellent. The front desk staff, concierge, doorman and the cleaning staff are all very polite and helpful. Not to forget the Araz restaurant in the hotel. They serve delicious food, with a good selection of wine, cocktails and beverages and the price is very pocket friendly. Another plus point, the Astoria metro and tram station is just a few hundred meters away and the hop-on-hop-off bus stop at the Great Jewish Synagogue is also <200 meters away. Also the beautiful & historical New York Cafe is just a stone throw away from Zara hotel. Will definitely come back to this hotel if I am back to Budapest for a holiday or for work again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

your praising words are very complimenting since during a 7 days stay some faults may come up.
It was good to read that you were very satisfied with the facilities and with the service too. These compliments sound authentic from a senior contributor and I am very grateful for it.

I hope you will have a chance to come to Budapest and stay with us again.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 December 2012

i recently stayed 4 nights at this hotel. unfortunately, the hotel did not make a great first impression. when we were first went up to our room on the first floor we noticed a not so nice smell in the hallway, and when we opened the door to our room the smell was overwhelming and smelled like sewage. my boyfriend and i opened the window and waited a few minutes to see if the smell would dissipate; it didn't so we asked to change rooms. they were more than willing to let us, and the new room was fine - clean, decorated very nicely, etc. the bathroom was a little on the small side, my boyfriend who is 6'2 could barely move in the shower. and we are from NYC so we are used to small spaces. however, for the price we paid (~ $110USD/night) the hotel was a good value. we liked the location - we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go, plus the tram station is only a short walk away. breakfast was also included in our rate, and was good. free wireless was a huge plus for us since we both needed to keep up with work. on the downside, the concierge was not very helpful or friendly when i asked her a few questions.

overall, i feel the hotel is a good deal if you get a discounted rate. if i come back to budapest, i would most likely up my budget and try out a new hotel... but for the price, zara continental was fine for us this time around.

Dear Guest,

first I have to apologize for the misterious smell in the room you were assigned. I hope the room finally you were staying was comfortable enough especially for the price you paid.

I hope the helpfulness of the Concierge was a misunderstanding only as this department of the hotel is one of our strength.

I also hope if you come ever to Budapest again you will find a good deal to saty with us.

Fife
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I spent a lot of time reserching this hotel before booking and was happy that it lived up to the mostly fasntastic reviews. We had requested tea coffee facilities and on arrival were delighted to be upgraded. The staff all over the hotel are so friendly. The revolving doors were even pushed for you. We were shown to and around our room and he even took our cases up for us. Our room was spotless. I only have a couple of negatives but i dont want to put anyone off staying here because i would stay agian.
This first thing was i was a little disapointed with the spa. The pool is very small and if busy no way could you swim. It had no loungers indoors to relax and wait for people to leave so our visit was very short but the jacuzzi is fantastic and helped my aching legs from all the walking.The changing room can only hold a couple of people so no room to get dried and only one shower. The hairdryer in the room was very basic and for my long thick hair impossible to dry so i was hoping the spa had a better one so i took all my stuff down to shower and wash hair but for get it. No room or hairdryer.I would recommend people wear thier robe and slippers provided {in some rooms} down and put them on to go back up to your room to get dried and ready. My other problem was it was very busy at breakfast so we were put into an overflow room but on that morning the coffee machine was brocken and no tea facilities came and noone was coming to replace finished trays so we had no bead rolls or pastries or fruit, so we left and had a cup of tea in our room. On 2 of the 3 mornings breakfast was fantastic so this was only because it was busy. Like i say i would still stay here again despite this. Good location pleasant staff are the most important things and you will get that at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Forou,

I am happy to read that after your long study of Tripadvisor review you selected our hotel and in general you enjoyed your stay with us. I was however very sorry to hear your unpleasant experiences about your first breakfast. God bless us that the following days it was working perfectly. Our wellness area is relly not too big. our hotel is a city hotel with basic wellness facilities. Due to the outside pool (not operating in winter) it is however very popular and creates big expectations.

Many thnaks for your confidence staying with us again.

UK
Reviewed 2 December 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in November 2012. The hotel was excellent, and given the amount of money we paid, it was fantastic value for money.

Our room was clean, well equipped and suited out needs for a city break. Check in was very smooth with plenty of staff to help.

The breakfast was excellent. A full hot and cold buffet with plenty of choice of good quality food.

The hotel itself is located in a quiet street near. The city centre is only a 20 minutes walk away. There is a supermarket nearby in case you forget anything like we did. If you come out of the hotel and turn right there is a great bar about a 5 minute walk away.

All in all a very positive experience from a hotel and city that we plan to return to.

Room Tip: We had a quiet room facing the central courtyard.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. It is good to hear that you found good value for the money you paid.

I am looking forward to your return to Budapest.