“zara is superb”

Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #40 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Best bits: - Decor and way hotel is set up makes this hotel great. Reception and piano lounge on ground floor with amazing toilets too. 1st floor has a very functional cafe/bar. Nice and cosy away from front door where most hotels have theirs. Smallish pool/Jacuzzi/steam room on top floor. Pool is very small.
The staff work incredibly hard to make your stay perfect. Advising you on tours and days out. Bar staff are very attentive.

The bad bits:- the rooms were hot and temperature control was complicated. Hot food at breakfast was Luke warm.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: The New York palace cafe is a must on your to do list
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Yvonne42-12,

I’m sorry that we have lost one of our point because of the temperature both room and breakfast food. But on the other side thank you that you say we are still superb! Thak you again for your booking.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed here for a short city break in Feb, Monday through Friday.

The hotel lobby is quite large, with a grand piano at the rear amongst big comfy leather chairs, it is over looked from above by the hotel bar which is very smart also, unfortunately we only discovered it on our last night.

On arrival we found the reception staff, namely Kinga, quite brisk and impatient with us when we questioned the room rate as it was about £30 higher than what we had booked via booking.com, I figured I would bring it back up on check out but forgot, so I was left with a little bit of a bad taste from that. We also had to pay the room rate up front, and some more to cover extras that we might rack up as well - we felt this was quite odd for a nice hotel like this, I would feel that practice is more suited to a budget hotel.

The room was a good size (classic double I think), the bed was large and very comfortable. The room was always spotless after housekeeping, there was a turndown service offered every night and also a little chocolate. It was kept to the right temperature thanks to the easy to use thermostat. We were on the 6th floor and the room was VERY quiet, we didn't hear another room once and the hotel certainly wasn't dead.

We had dinner in the hotel restaurant on the first night and it was terrific, delicious food with prompt and efficient service!

We also made use of the spa facilities on the top floor, the water could have been a little warmer but again it was clean, well staffed and very handy to have use of.

Overall we had a lovely time, the staff were friendly and helpful, and the hotel was smart with great decor and in a good location.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Speightaz,

Thank you for your nice comments about the cleanliness and about the service of our ARAZ Restaurant. Also thank you for your positive criticism about the Galery Cafe, I’m thinking a quite long time already how to advertise it more efficient amoung our hotel guests. On the other side I’m very sorry for the behavior our concierge Kinga, I will personally talk to her soon.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed for three nights in early February and couldn't fault the hotel at all . All staff friendly and nothing was too much trouble . They arranged transfers to and from the airport for us . Breakfast was very good and the bar area was a relaxing break from all the walking and sight seeing at the end of the day ! Reasonable prices and good service .

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Bethanyshuan,

Firstly thank you for your high scores. Good to read, that you found us „friendly and well organized”! I hope you will return soon!

Reviewed 14 February 2014

**We received a much discounted rate on this room via Otels.com therefore I am basing my review on paying around a third of the advertised rate on the hotel website for a double room**

The location of this hotel is key, it's in a safe and accessible area with lots of good restaurants and bars (to suit all tastes) within walking distance. It's also very easily accessible from the airport via the underground with the journey taking around 45 minutes and costing £7 in total.
We did not take the train or taxi once during our 5 day stay as every main attraction is a pleasant walk away (20 mins to 1 hour) and the city is very easy to navigate.

The hotel is very well kept and the large old brass revolving door and entrance to the lobby has the 'wow' factor. Our room, a standard double was on the fourth floor, it was very clean and comfortable, well decorated but quite small and basic. There was a view onto other hotel rooms but was not intrusive. Really very happy given the reduced rate we had paid.

Staff at the Zara were very friendly and helpful and responded immediately when we made any requests. We also ordered room service, they were flexible with the menu and service was fast, it was also very reasonably priced.

It is worth noting that not all rates include use of the wellness centre and it if not it is charged at 8 euros per person per day. It was pleasant to have a swim however it's a very small centre and if there are more than a couple of people using the facilities it can feel crowded and uncomfortable.

Overall an enjoyable and relaxing stay, would highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sher-7,

I was very happy to read, that you have so much enjoyed your stay – although you you gave us „only” four points. Thank you for your kind words about our location, about the hotel staff and the architecture of the building. You belive or not, I have the very same „wow” effect every day I come to work since the lobby is really a great attraction of our hotel, it is actually a scheduled monument.

We look forward welcoming you back in summer time as well, you should try our outside pool too. Thank you for your recommendation.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Generally I like the rooms of the hotel and the location. What made the experience not as good as it should be was the reception. They have put a wrong name on the invoice (despite the correct name being sent to them from Booking.com), and was very reluctant to change the name and to amend the address (it was necessary for my expense claims). I have to go back and forth to them for 3 to 4 times to get it fixed, for something that was not my fault. Another thing is that although they have no weekend cleaning service, they promise me that they can wash within the hotel using their own machines if I dont require dry cleaning. When the clothes were delivered back to me, they ask me for a surcharge saying that they have to take the clothes outside to get it washed, which was never communicated before. When I pushed back on it they did not charge me, but I just wonder how they communicate amongst themselves.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Toshtosh304,

Thank you for your feedback and your compliments on the room and on the location.
I was very sad to read that despite your request at check in to change your name and company address it was ignored and caused you difficulties at check out. I am very sorry for that.
The weekend laundry is more expensive than the weekdays one, regardless who wash it. I have to admit that it was not coherently communicated to you, therefore I apologize for it. I hope by waiving the surcharge you will restore your positive feelings towards our hotel and we will have the chance to welcome you again.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 13 February 2014

**as always my rating is relative to the star rating of the hotel.

LOCATION

Great location in central Budapest. Most places are walking distance in Budapest, some people may prefer to get public transport or taxis for some longer journeys, though I don't mind a nice hour walk even in the cold!

ROOMS

The standard room wasn't huge but it was big enough for one person and probably two as you're not going to be spending huge amounts of time in there. The decor was lovely and it was very clean. The bathroom itself was particularly impressively decorated. It was also very quiet. I had requested a room that was quiet and it faced the courtyard, but to be honest that part of Dohany Street is pretty quiet anyway so even a front facing room I'd imagine would be quiet.

BREAKFAST

Was really, nice, lots of choice and some variety day to day. Warm buffet with sausages, eggs, bacon beans etc, continental style meats, cheeses and a selection of breads, cereals, fruits, yoghurts and salads.

STAFF

Lovely staff. I enjoy solo holidays to get away from people and be with my own thoughts but it's really great to have the odd conversation with a friendly staff member. Najat, Atilla, Adam were all delightful to speak to, especially Najat who gave a great welcome every morning at breakfast.

OVERALL

An impressive looking hotel, that lives up to its 4* superior rating. If city or river views are important to you, then you might be best spending some more money for a hotel on the Danube, but if it's not that important then this is a top quality hotel, with great service, lovely rooms and in a good location.

Room Tip: If you were a couple and you don't like compact rooms, it might be worth going for a bigger one...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Hanif87
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Hanif87,

Your are a pro reviewer! Thank you for that! We might pay some commission for you! My favorite sentence is: „top quality hotel, with great service, lovely rooms and in a good location.” You are my guest for a drink at your possible future visit!

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Stayed here from 31st jan til 2nd feb with my 10yr old son. From check in til check out we could not fault the service, accommodation, food or staff. We really enjoyed our stay. Close to all attractions and transport. Cheap and tasty restaurants down the road. Really enjoyed our breakfast both mornings, the lady who greeted us in the mornings was so nice to myself and my son, a credit to the hotel. My son said it was the best hotel he has ever been to, I might have to agree. Would love to come back in the summer time and make use of the roof top pool and maybe enjoy a barbeque.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank fiona r

Dear fiona r,

I’m so happy that you have shared your and your son’s voice! Since I’m in hotel business for almost 40 years, I know, a wholeharted smile can make a hotel stay „the best ever”. I will personally congratulate Najat, the lady who greeted you in the mornings. I know, she is one of our secret weapons!