“A weekend in Budapest”

Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #42 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Dear owners and staff of the Continental Zara,
I was very pleased to stay at your hotel. I felt comfortable and warmly welcomed. Especially the architecture and small pieces of art, the furniture, the decoration in the Araz Restaurant im-
pressed me. On my last day I got a small postcard by one of the staff members. She offered it to me so that I will remember the hotel well. In my view you do not get those things very often. I can only recommend the house to other guests.
Ulrike - Helena Kijak

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ulrike K
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Ulrike K,

I’m very happy that you have so much enjoyed your weekend with us. Thank you for your nice comments about the architecture of the hotel and about the decoration and the furniture of ARAZ Restaurant. We have freshed up the restaurant a few weeks ago. Also thank you for your reccomendation, we wait you back!

KIndest regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (4,522)

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Had a nice pre birthday stay, on arrival we were very quickly and efficiently checked in and offered help to take our baggage to the room. We had requested a quiet room, we were allocated room 510 which was on the 5th floor overlooking the corner of the side street to the left of the hotel. Due to other reviews I was expecting the room to be smaller than it was, it was no smaller than Paris hotel rooms and perfectly adequate for our needs. Furnishings were very modern and it was very clean.
As the hotel knew it was my birthday, they very kindly left a fruit bowl and birthday card for me which was much appreciated. They also supplied robe & slippers and turn down every night with a little chocolate and a card with next days weather forecast. We were in a standard room so these deluxe touches made our stay all the more special!
It was a late arrival so we didn't eat on our first night, the beds were comfortable but we had memory foam pillows which were a little high for our liking (I discovered a pillow menu next morning so requested feather and down pillows, these were fantastic). The ONLY downside of our whole experience was the heat in the room, the controls do not appear to allow you to cool the room below 19oC and I found it very stuffy on the first night. Opening the window wasn't an option as it's a city and there is obviously going to be traffic noise. Subsequent nights, weren't so bad as I had opened the windows during the day.
I was very impressed with breakfast, a large buffet style with plenty of choices, I noticed a previous comment regarding the coffee machines but there was a notice up with a number of 'Made to Order' choices and coffee was one of them, the waiting staff were only too happy to make these and I had perfect cappuccino each morning. One thing I did notice, when they filled up the hot food choices, the newest food wasn't the hottest, it must sit in the kitchen and only after a while in the Bain Marie does it get up to temperature. So if you see them filling up, go for the food on the bottom.
No need for me to talk about location etc. as others have described it perfectly. All members of staff were a credit to the hotel, courteous and smiling always. We did not use the Spa or Araz other than for breakfast. I would certainly recommend the hotel to anyone and if I return to Budapest I will certainly book with this hotelagain.

Room Tip: High rooms, others have recommended courtyard rooms but these are overlooked by the landings outside...
2  Thank royzee28
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear royzee28,

Thank you for celebrating your birthday with us. We always feel ourself important, if our guest are sharing such big days with us. I’m very happy that you found our pillow menu, and your sleep was more restful. And your morning cappuccino! I think, we made our mission! On the other side, thank you for your nice pictures!

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. The hotel is in a very good location for the nightlife and is close enough to all the main attractions in Budapest.

requested a high room and got a room on floor 3 but may have been all they had so that is fair enough. person checking us in was pretty grumpy. Room itself was clean and fairly nicely decorated. The room always seemed to be very hot and the air con only went to 19 which meant it could never cool the room down. The air con was also fairly noisy which meant that we had to have the window open.

the shower was powerful and hot no complaints there, the bathroom itself is pretty small but more than manageable. only downsides were that the shower screen leaked on the nearside so we got a puddle next to the sink and the extractor fan sounded like a space shuttle was taking off and went on forever afterwards.

the hotel does many good things, turn down service, chocolate on pillow and leaving the next day's weather on your pillow too. But then it does other things not so well like the ones above and breakfast had plenty of choice but sometimes a little cold.

major disappointment for us was the wellness center, seems like everyone in the hotel has different packages and ours meant we had to pay to use the wellness center. It is 8Euro a day per person. which seems fairly high but we used the service anyway. The wellness center is very small, it has 1 pool, 1 jacuzzi and 2 saunas. only 1 sauna seemed to be working. The jacuzzi was pretty good but when a group of french people decide to sit in it for 40 minutes it doesn't really give anyone else much of a chance. The pool was nice but once 5/6 people are in it. it's full up. We actually sat in the pool and saw people fighting over whose turn it was to use the sauna next. Overall if it is included in your price use it. if it isn't don't. On check out the hotel insisted in charging us in Euros despite being in Hungary which uses the Florint. when we wanted to pay in Florint (the currency of the country we was in) they gave us a terrible rate that made the pool about £8.50 each - about the same price as using a full wellness center in Central London.

I would recommend this hotel to people especially for the nightlife and its a nice hotel just maybe tries to do too many things all at once.

it isn't average but also isn't very good 3.5 stars for us.

Room Tip: only tried the 1 room positives and negatives about that room.
1  Thank hammer_lad

Dear hammer_lad,

Firstly, I’m very sorry that the room was not cold enough. I don’t really want to explain, but at springtime, when we are still heating and the temperature is getting quite warm during the day, but the nights are still around zero, it is not easy to control the temperature without cooling even at home.

Regarding your complaint about the breakfast I would like to inform you, we are just changing our chafings, so the temperature of the hot breakfast sortiment will be really always hot again.

What the wellness is concerned, probably you have found the best deal for your booking, since our lowest prices are without free entry to our wellness center, so you must be a very „old hand” traveler.

In the title of your review you described our hotel as good, but not excellent. Despite of the title you gave us only three point, which is however average and you still recommend our hotel for others. Thank you for that.

Best regards,

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel from the 21st February until the 24th, Bed and Breakfast (a group of 8). It was a beautiful hotel, well placed for sight seeing around Budapest. There has been mentions before on reviews that the rooms are small, they were a little but very well decorated, very clean and ample as you are out all day anyway, the room is just to sleep in. The staff at the hotel were extremely friendly, the checking in and out went like clock work. Breakfasts again were delightful, plenty of choice from porridge, cereal, meats, cheeses, fresh bread, fruit, English breakfast, pastries, I could go on. Perhaps if I had one niggle it was the coffee machines that you had to get your hot drinks from, I think this area could be improved, but hey, for what we paid for three nights at this hotel we wasn't certainly upset about anything. If I were to visit Budapest again this hotel would definitely be on the top of my list. There were some noise early hours of the morning when a hen party was returning but is to be expected as Budapest attracts them with their cheap prices. All in all a fabulous stay, wonderful hotel and staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hedges18

Dear Hedges 18,

Thank you for your kind feedback. Good to read that you have enjoyed your room. I’m always happy if I read good comments about reception. I like your words: „extremely friendly” and „clock work”. I hope your will still have your list of hotels, if your travel brings you back to Budapest!

Reviewed 1 March 2014

stayed here for five days recently and enjoyed a wonderful stay in Budapest.the hotel was excellent in location,comfort ,food and service.nothing was too much trouble for the staff when asked.the pool and leisure centre /gym was spotless and great to relax around after returning from a day around the city.great value for money.piano music in the lobby in the evening added to the ambiance of this elegant hotel.super breakfast to start the day.strongly recommend and would return again

Room Tip: we had a room facing into the courtyard which was very quiet only sounds were birds singing in the m...
3  Thank Colm M
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Colm M,

Firstly thank you for your ”strongly” recommendation. I’m very happy that you have spent almost a week with us, and you were so satisfied with our services. I hope you will give us a chance to serve you again in the close future!

Reviewed 27 February 2014

A very nice hotel, rooms are big enough and very comfortable. Tried the breakfast in the hotel this morning and spent an hour there eating, what a variety of choice for the cost. Staff are pleasant and helpful, anything you need or want to ask they will help. A smile goes along way. The facilities in the spa are clean and whilst small max 25 people adequate as they are open from 9 to 21.00, plenty of time to relax.
Easy walking distance to the Danube and plenty of restaurants and bars in close proximity.
I would recommend the hotel and also getting a ticket for the hop on off bus, this makes it so easy to get your bearings and saves time. We went with the blue bus and found all the operatives helpful no matter what you asked. (Can't say the same for the green as found them abrupt).

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank josephmpaterson

Dear josephmpatterson,

Thank you for your nice words about the breakfast and about the staff. I know from some self-observations, a hotel is good if the breakfast is rich and the staff is polite. Also thank you for your comment about the location of the hotel. As Conrad Hilton said once, ”there are three important criteria of a good hotel: location, location and location.” Thank you again for your booking!

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed in Continental Zara Hotel for a long weekend with friends in Feb 2014!
Where should I start from: everything in this hotel is just great.
Location: perfect - as we had Big Bus Tour tickets and one of the stops was just down the road in front of the beautiful Synagogue.
Services: We used the sauna, and swimming pool and Jacuzzi upstairs - although small size both the pool and Jacuzzi were very clean and nice.
Breakfast - there is nothing more one can wish for at the breakfast buffet- more than enough.
Room Cleanliness and Interior - perfect as it has been recently renovated
Hotel Bar on 1 st Floor - very nice place to have a drink or just chill out after a dinner out.
Hotel Staff - very kind and helpful.
The only downside was - I asked for an iron and board - both not great but still did the job.
I highly recommend this place

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mishe V

Dear Mishe V,

Thank you very much for your nice and all-in review! I’m very happy that you have ”taken over the trouble” and tried almost all of our services. Also thank you for your recommendation, and I hope you will return too!