“Excellent stay in last minute”

Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #39 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
“Excellent stay in last minute”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I booked a standard double room two days before my planned trip. Not sure about the original price of 400 Euros/night, but I bought mine for 84 Euros. The stay was value for this money, the room was very stylish and comfortable. However I would not pay for this room 400 EUR a night! My only concern is the staff...I did not feel myself welcome at the reception desk, not a single smile. I would expect a little bit more warm attitude from the staff. There were two bottle of spring water in the room with a note, 900 HUF/each if you drink... Ridiculous...Other 4star hotels for this price offer a bottle of champagne in the room free... Can not image how this hotel can not provide at least a bottle of water free that would not cost more than 0.5 Euros...This makes me feel the hotel "cheap" and not "luxury". Apart from this, everything was nice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zoltan N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I have just come back from a 4 night city break to this hotel and was very pleased with our choice. The location at first can seem like it's in a bit of an odd area but actually the location is great, you can walk to most things on the Pest side in 15 minutes and it's well connected by metro, bus and tram for the Buda side. Plus it's a funky area where there are lots of interesting bars, art galleries and restaurants set up in beautiful old buildings. The rooms are very nice and when we found ours on the front a little noisy as I am a light sleeper, Ester the lovely receptionist, changed us to a very quite room at the back. They also gave me a basket of fruit and a card as for my birthday which was a nice suprise.
The Art deco look of the hotel is nice as is having a roof top indoor and outdoor pool although small if you are a serious swimmer.
The only thing my husband didn't like is that there was no fresh coffee in the mornings, it's an urn or machine but I don't drink coffee!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear sazamataz,

Thank you for your feedback. I’m very happy that you found the outskirts of the hotel funky. Also thank you for your nice comment about Eszter, she is really one of our best team member. Regarding fresh coffee at breakfast I would like to inform you, our staff at the restaurant are more than happy to serve you with it as we inform our valuable guests on each of our coffee machines. I’m very sorry if this information escaped your husbands observation.

Best regards,
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

An excellent stay at zara Budapest. special mention to adam weis for posting trousers and shirt I left in wardrobe . Also Reka on reception and to Neejat the greeter in the buffet breakfast who has the nicest smile in Budapest and a lovely person in the right position in the hotel. Thanks to all at Zara Budapest. Lesley and John

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear FrankandBoss,

Thank you very very much for your commendatory review. I’m more that happy that you were so satisfied with the service provided by Ádám, Réka and Najat. I will personally congratulate for them.

We look forward welcoming you at our hotel again.

Kindest regards,
Karlslunde, Denmark
Reviewed 5 May 2014

A really nice hotel build in an old railway station (I was told). Front desk really serviceminded. Nice rooms - even a little bit small. No noise at all from either the street or inside the hotel. I can fully agree on what has already been said about this hotel - the only negative thing:

Why on earth having a fully equipped gym and not giving access in the morning (specially to people on business trips)? I can understand the opening hours for wellness and spa facilities - but i cannot understand how come the gym/fitness opens in the middle of the day at 9 AM?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Totoreal,

Thank you for your feedback, although I don’t understand, how come we got only three points even you gave us only fours and fives? It is very strange. What the opening hours of our fitness room are concerned, since there is no door between the two-level fitness and wellness are we have to keep the fitness room close when the pool area is closed due to health safety reasons. I hope you understand this.

Thanks and regards,
Ottawa
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during our 2 week European Trip and by far, The Continental Hotel Zara was our favourite one, we were upgraded to a deluxe room and the manager had even taken the time to send us a fruit plate for our 10th anniversary. This hotel makes you feel special. Our first dinner was at the Araz restaurant on site and must admit that it is the best service we received during our entire trip. You also get a 20 percent discount when signing your meal to your room. We also booked massages on our last day and they were well worth it, we also took advantage of 2:00 to 5:00 discounted fare. On our last night, we took the Danube dinner cruise and we highly recommend it, we were seated on the top level and enjoyed the magnificent views offered while enjoying champagne and a great meal. A definite must while in Budapest!

Our only disappointment was that we didn't have enough time to go visit the top floor pool of the hotel, maybe on a next visit.

1 Thank SomaxOttawa
Dear SomaxOttawa,

As the General Manager of the hotel I couldn’t dream about a better title for a hotel review as yours, thank you for that. It was good the read that our hotel was one your favorite ones during your roundtrip in Europe. Also thank you for your nice comments about our Restaurant ARAZ. I hope your possible future travel will bring you back to us, and you will have a chance to enjoy our outside pool as well.

KIndest regards,
norfolk
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Convenient location, nice hotel. Only minor downsides:
Breakfast very crowded so couldn't sit with other members of the group.
no coffee/tea making facilities in the room.
Would highly recommend at the price we paid.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank youngchuck
Dear youngchuck,

Thank you for your review, although you have some criticism as well. I’m very sorry that you found our breakfast room too crowded, and you couldn’t sit together with your friends. We are just supplying all our standard rooms with kettles for higher guest satisfaction.

Thanks and regards,
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Beautiful hotel, and service. Our room was upgraded upon our arrival, which made our trip even more special. The hotel is beautiful inside, and out. Our room was impeccable, the towels and robes were replaces every day, as were the complimentary toiletries. The spa facilities included in our booking were perfect after a day of sightseeing. The outside pool with a view of the cities skyline was definitely something special. The hotel is located in the Jewish quarter, which is very close to lots of restaurants and bars, it is also close to the square where the majority of buses pick up from. Ideal location for us. Definitely would come back here, if we returned to Budapest, an amazing city to visit made even more enjoyable by our lovely stay at the Continental Hotel Zara Budapest.

2 Thank Hannah P
Dear Hanna P,

Thank you very much for your feedback and also for your high scores. Good to read your nice comments about the hotel. I hope you will really return to Budapest. I can promise, we will always have a room for you.

Kindest regards,