“Tickety-boo hotel!”

Ranked #39 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Crieff, Perthshire, Scotland, UK
“Tickety-boo hotel!”
Reviewed 21 September 2010

This is a new hotel with luxury added-in and very good value. Superior 4 star accommodation. The hotel has been built within an existing facade and well finished. We used the internal restaurant on the first night as we thought it was good value for £20pp including a bottle of wine. The breakfast was excellent with a good spread. Fill your boots!

The standard rooms are on the small side. Our friends booked an upgraded room with separate sitting room / rooftop balcony which made a difference.

Only downside was the fact that they don't have a smoke-free policy so it was sometimes unpleasant along the corridors or in the lounge bar. Top floor heated pools inside / outside were fab, with a jacuzzi and sauna.

Location is on the Pest side, 15 mins walk to centre / Danube areas.

2 Thank Stephen_Digance
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, 16 October 2010
Dear Stephan_Digance,
many thanks for your superlatives (luxury added-in) and for your overall rating on Contienntal Hotel Zara. We have four different categories of rooms as per their size, so it is a pitty that your room was not as spacious as your friends' room was. Guests usually do not take dinners on the hotel's restaurant, but our ARAZ Restaurant seem to be an exception in Budapest with positive feedbacks and we did not fail at you neither!
In Hungary smoking in public areas are not as severe yet, but Continental Hotel Zara allows smoking on one guest floor, in designated area of the Cafe and in the courtyards only, which is far more than as per law.
I do hope you returned home with nice memories and will further recommend our hotel. Many thanks for it.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Wien
Reviewed 21 September 2010

I stay at Zara Continental from 17.09 till 19.09.2010. It was my first stay in Budapest and in this hotel. I really enjoy everything from Check In till Check Out.
All staff was very nice, helpful and polite. The location of the hotel is very nice and it is very close to the city centre and to all Sightseeings in Budapest.
At my next stay i will definitely take this hotel because everything was perfect and i can recommend this beautiful hotel to everyhone.
MANY THANKS TO ALL STAFF...

2 Thank Playboy_22
Dear Playboy_22,

a BIG THANK YOU for your review! This type of reviews I like the most and share it proudly with my colleagues. I hope your review will influence other guests in hotel selection in Budapest.
Looking forward to your return!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Was very impressed with the Hotel Zara. The staff were friendly, helpful and professional. The rooms were well decorated and clean and I especially liked the endless supply of hot water in the shower and bathroom.

I recommend a visit to the spa on the 7th floor. The pool outside is heated and is worth a dip around sunset for the rooftop views of the city (you can see the Castle and the tops of the Basicilla and the synagogue).

The hotel is new and the decor is fresh and stylish. Especially liked the gallery bar. Breakfast could be busy but the staff keep things moving and we didn't have any trouble finding a seat or enough food! Had dinner in the restaurant and the Italian next door and liked both.

Can't find anything to fault, especially not when I consider the price and location. I really enjoyed my stay and would go back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank ASBLondon
Dear ASBLondon,
I am very greatful for your review. I can read from your scores that you was very satisfied with the facilities and the services of Continental Hotel Zara. Compliments like yours are enhencing our work, therefore I really appreciate it.
I wish you not just "would go back", I hope you will have the possibility shortly to return to us.
Again, many thanks for your review!
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2010

New hotel. Good location, 15 minute walk from River Danube, 15 minutes from opera house and 5 minutes from Metro. Hotel and rooms spotlessly clean, airy and pleasant decor. Air conditioned rooms. Would recommend the hotel restaurant for your evening meal. Restaurant also served a good buffet breakfast. Staff speak good English are friendly and helpful and we could not fault this hotel at all.

2 Thank JackieG63
Boston
Reviewed 15 September 2010

First the negatives, because their just weren't that many... (-)
1) For such a great hotel I was surprised that there was no Bussiness Office. I needed to make some print outs but they didn't have a dedicated room for this sort of stuff. They probably misunderstood when I asked for a bussiness room?
1a)They did have a computer(laptop) you could use for free (w/wifi) in the lobby. BUt you were at the mercy of the user ahead of you.
2) The outside pool wasn't finished, when it is though it will have a great view!
2a) Indoor pool wasn't that great though. Attendant was helpful though! Go to one of the Bath houses instead!
3) They didn't respond to emails? I had sent them an emel while touring the city (from my BlackBerry) but I never heard back from them? - -
4) One night I stayed in, cuz wasn't feeling well. They had a plethora of channels and in various languages (i think 2 spanish soap opera channels alone) but the only english channels offered were news channels?? - - I ended up watching a favorite show in German and just guessed what was being said. Movie selection wasnt that great.

That's it...

Now for the pluses(+)

1) Was able to take Public Transport (Metro) to hotel from airport, it took 1 hour 15 mins +
1a) Close to two major tram/metro connections (Astoria and Blaha L.) +
2) Paid a little extra to get the Executvie room (6th floor). Way worth it!
Amazing size room and great decor! Bathroom was also outstanding!++
My favofire part was coming back to the hotel after a fun day to a chocoloate on my pillow every night! +++ (I say pay the little extra, from previous reviewers sounds like I made the right choice)
3) Buffet, had a great larget selection, so you could eat as an american or european style. I switched back and forth. +
There was never "a good time to eat" it was always busy but wait staff was super efficient!
4) Front desk was super helpful and attentive+
4b) Great lobby waiting area+
5) I never had a problem with the wifi in my room on the 6th floor. Used my BB connection +

I would definately stay here again, get the executive room! Its beyond worth it.
As to an earlier comment about deception, you have to be kiddin right!!
It's true that I did see there was a taxi out front at all times that had a Zara hotel logo. It means that it was dedicated taxi, which I think is smart of the hotel, even though I always just walked around so I never used it. And instead of being deceptive, try that the hotel were trying to be helpful!!! Not too many people can speak Hungarian and request a taxi on their own... Such a silly comment...

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank LePetitPrince-Yaz
New London, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 September 2010

I stayed for four nights at Hotel Zara and was very impressed. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is lovely, very clean and brilliant value for money. Our room looked out onto a courtyard, however there was never any disturbance from this and we both slept really well every night. The hotel is well located in the Pest half of the city, and you can easily walk to the Danube River.

The heated roof top pool was open while we there and it has amazing views of the city, which added a nice touch to our city break.

The taxis booked for us by the hotel were also very good.

Budapest is a fantastic city and I definitely hope to return! I'd highly recommend both this hotel and budapest itself for city break.

1 Thank laurarandom
London
Reviewed 12 September 2010

The staff members were very pleasant and friendly.
It was a problem in our room but we were moved to a different room, very efficiently and quickly.
We spent a nice time, relaxing in the spa and with music in the hall.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family