“Anything is too much trouble”

Danubius Grand Hotel Margitsziget
Ranked #66 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Shockingly bad service for a four star hotel. Beds unmade every day, electronic key failed repeatedly, beverages unreplenished, breakfast substandard, food and drink grossly overpriced, evening meal expensive and bland. After coming to Budapest I certainly won't be coming back. Dirty, miserable and mostly focused on scamming visitors at the main tourist sites, visit this city at your own risk.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Cuamhain
SzlGabor, Manager at Danubius Grand Hotel Margitsziget, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for having chosen the Danubius Grand Hotel Margitsziget for your stay. We are very sorry to learn from your comment that not every service were up to your expectations. There is a continuous effort to improve our services. We do very much hope you will find the time to return back to our hotel and that we can regain your confidence when you can learn our country from its better side.
Best regards,
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 9 July 2012

If you look for a quite hotel away from the city center where you can relax, enjoy the Spa, and stay in a magnificent park - you may consider this hotel.
Lower your expectations! The rooms are large, very clean, comfortable and well lighted. The hotel is old and has an aura of the fifties. Breakfast is below average and the public areas are a bit shabby. The spa is very clean and operates from 6:30 until 21:30.
Getting in and out from the Island is tricky. I highly recommend a car if plan on visiting around.

Room Tip: Second floor!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank JKRIsrael
SzlGabor, Manager at Danubius Grand Hotel Margitsziget, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
We are pleased that you have chosen to stay in our Danubius Grnad Hotel in the magnificent park, as you mentioned. We thank you for your comments, like "the rooms are large, very clean, comfortable and well lighted".
I completely agree with you when you recommend a car arriving to us with, because we have a huge parking area for our guests which stay free for your disposal. Although there is an easy traffic solution to the city centre, the bus Nr. 26 takes you in 10 minutes to the shopping area and historical sights in which Budapest is very rich.
Looking forward to hearing soon from you, I wish you all the best and remain
with best regards

Reviewed 3 July 2012

Would rate about 3.5 in general. Stayed for a week at the end of June

GOOD
Hotel staff were friendly and helpful
Nice big rooms with balcony
Air con worked well - emailed ahead to request as noted past problems. Needed in the hot weather
Great Spa and pool
Free internet in lounge area
Margaret Island is very nice
Good transport to city with bus and trams

BAD
Bed was lumpy
Outside music and theatre late at night till 11.30 was loud
Very expensive room service - location on Island means they have a captive audience. About £7.50 for a sandwich. Need to eat away from hotel
Dinner and breakfast also very expensive - around £15 to £20 per person for buffet
Wireless expensive if you want in room
Maids let themselves in the room within 2 seconds of knocking at 9am every day!

Unlikely we would stay again if we ever went back to Budapest although Spa great at end of a long day in city. Would recommend for a weekend break if you want to get away from it

Room Tip: Email ahead to ask for air conditioning that works in your room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a comment about our hotel and to rate it "very good". We highly appreciate your comments about the friendly staff, the big rooms with balcony with working air-condition, the spa and the easy transport to the city centre.
Regarding your comments on the bed I kindly inform you that our housekeeping department is changing them step by step, we hope that we can change all matresses soon in order to be able to provide a much more comfortable sleep.
Concerning the open-air theatre performance I totally agree with you that it might have been a little loud, they had a very attractive performance with 7 Brothers dancing Spanish Flamenco and the audience liked it very much. It will be pleasure for us next time to get some ticket for one of their fantastic performance (only from June to August).
You have mentioned that room service and restaurant prices are expensive. We have to keep ourselves to the standards 4star hotel prices in Hungary.
Once again we thank you for your great comments and for the recommendation for a weekend break. Perhaps your friends will follow your advice and we can welcome them to on Margaret Island.
Best regards

Reviewed 2 July 2012

I found the Hotel very nice big room , great housekeeping and generally very helpful staff. Beautiful location and with the use of the next door Spa Hotel facilities. A little far from the centre of town but no hassle to travel on the very good transport sustem in Budapest.

Room Tip: Try for a room over looking the Danube.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a comment about our hotel and enjoyed the facilities of it, like the spa, environment, food, etc.
We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at the Danubius Grand Hotel!
Kind regards

Reviewed 21 June 2012

I had booked to stay at the Danubius Grand for its quiet, peaceful, setting in the park on Margaret Island, the thermal baths, and its historical significance, and I was all geared up for a relaxing, pleasant stay as it had been highly recommended. I ended up checking out after two nights instead of staying for the week I had originally booked!

The entrance and lobby of the hotel give the impression of old-world luxury and charm, but my room had old shabby furniture in it that clearly needs to be replaced. Bed was old and lumpy. bedding and curtains were old and shabby, bathroom fixtures did not work properly (metal towel rack and toilet paper holders kept springing off the wall and onto the floor with a loud bang, and hairdryer did not work very well), chair was old and creaky, and the room had a weird smell when I checked in and was dusty as if no one had really bothered to get it ready.

I fell asleep around 1am, and woke up at 6am with the sun blazing hot into my room, and air conditioning not working at all (even though it was clearly turned on as high as possible and all the windows were closed and locked). Fan was emitting that same strange smoky smell I had experienced when checking in. I was sweating in the bed and could not go back to sleep, so I phoned the front desk to politely alert them to the problem , and they said they were sending someone to my room to fix it. 45 minutes went by, I'm tired and sweaty and just want to go back to bed as its only 6:45am, and no one had shown up to my room. So, I trudge downstairs to the front desk in my pyjamas to complain. The man at the desk was very rude and lectured me that in Hungary they don't use aircon in May and that it is only 15 degrees outside! Well....I am not usually one to complain, but my room was clearly as hot as a sauna, and here this ill-tempered staff member was giving me attitude early in the morning! He finally sent someone to my room. I'm sitting on the bed at 7:15am while a work man is standing on a ladder in my room fiddling with the ceiling vent! He says there is nothing he can do, as the problem is the central fan system that needs to be fixed. Great!! They did not even offer to move me to a more comfortable room or do anything for me.

Later on, I heard other guests complaining to the front desk of the same problems to the same man who had tried to deny it and had been rude to me in the morning! They fixed it as best they could I guess, and I stayed one more night and then checked out, I was so unimpressed by the whole experience. The thermal baths are ok, but they get crowded and are not even very warm. The spa treatments are overpriced. The massage I had was relaxing but nothing special.

Food in the restaurant was also quite average and overpriced. I was supposed to have morning coffee and pastry in the lobby included in my booking, but it was nowhere to be found at the appointed time and I didn't feel like asking the angry man at the desk again! I would not stay here again ever!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank SuzanneCb

Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your efforts for having taken your time for a longer report on TripAdvisor website, concerning your recent stay in our Danubius Grand Hotel!
Your feedback will help us to improve our services.
Referring to your comments about the rooms, yes they are old and have the charme of the last century. The furniture is very valuable, they are antique furniture but we hope that our owners in the UK will have the possibility to refresh curtains and renew air-condition, etc. very soon.
We would be very glad to able to inform you first on our refurbished, new rooms and hope we can welcome you then again at our hotel for a real relaxing.

Best regards

Reviewed 18 May 2012

The hotel is on Margitszihet Island... A beautufull zone of green on an island in the middle of the Danube. There is no traffic and the park is very well maintained.

The hotel itself has a classic "grandeur" look but is not so much attractive for people looking for design and/or contemporary rooms but the rooms are very clean and well maintained. The breakfast is good and offers some local specialties next to the classic ingredients (bread, egg, sausage, meat...)

The hotels main focus is the spa. This is not a regular spa. They have an advanced sort of "clinic" were therapies are given (also dentist and diet service ). It's very high tech with multiple pools of their own spring and as a guest of the hotel you can use the spa for free (value of around 10 euros).

I rate the hotel very good because:
A) the quiet location (there is a bus running to the metrostation every 15min)
B) the cleanlyness
C) the spa

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view on the Danube river
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for sharing your opinion about the hotel, especially the environment, the spa you liked very much. You are completely right if you say "The hotel itself has a classic "grandeur" look", yes, it is a real classic hotel with its turn-of-the century atmosphere and it offers our guests a real experience to live in rooms furnished with valuable antique furniture.
We really appreciate that you could taste some of our specialities.
Regarding our spa services you have mentioned that our hotel offers besides normal spa therapies (massages, bath, mud wrap,etc.) dental services, and may I make up the list with our laser eye operations and plastic surgery as well. It is a real health centre.
Once again thank you for your comments and I wish you a good health!
Looking forward to welcoming you again at the Danubius Grand Hotel I remain

with best regards

Reviewed 8 May 2012

Yes the location is away from the center of the city, so you will be needing to take buses or taxis for sightseeing and if wanting to eat away from the hotel at all. The lobby and other common areas are fairly well maintained and quite elegant but the rest of the building off the ground floor is quite tired, and somewhat dingy, I agree about the shabby carpeting, hard lumpy bed and very tired bedding and pillows. Rooms were small, had way too much furniture in them and needed a good dusting. Housekeeping only straightened the bedding daily, one day not even that, sometimes toiletries,towel and coffee not replaced, the bathroom smells of urine. The drapes were especially tired and did not close completely leaving openings on either side or at the center of the window when drawn. Every day I was woken by the housekeeper by 8 am wanting to make up the room! There is a quartet playing in the dining room every night so if you want a quiet dinner don't go there. There was chewing gum on the grand staircase from the lobby on the day we arrived and still there on the day we left. The staff was pleasant and tried to do a good job but I believe they just had few resources. The restaurant in particular seemed poorly managed as the staff didn't seem to know what was going on, often we had several people ask for our order and the Host not organizing his staff well. We were never asked how our meal was. Also everyday my key needed to be replaced as it would not work, the other couple also had the same problem. Also to note is that while the rooms are nonsmoking, the patios off them are not so you may be next door to someone who likes to smoke on their terrace, which will nicely waft into your open window. As said in the other reviews the room temperature was not adjustable and very warm although is is advertised as such and there is a controller in the room.
Fortunately the access to the thermal pools was nice and I used them everyday.
The food was fair if not somewhat overpriced however not a lot of choices for children. The menu not especially modern.
The grounds of the property did not seem to be of much concern and had little tending other than pruning and few plantings.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before checking in, rooms on the river are quiter.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Margit H
SzlGabor, Manager at Danubius Grand Hotel Margitsziget, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Dear Guest (Margit H),

Thank you for sharing your experiences about your stay with us.
We really regret to hear that generally the cleanliness of our Hotel did not met your requirements and your room key did not work well. Clearly your experience is not typical of what the vast majority of our guest feedback tells us.
Nevertheless, we know that a clean and well maintained hotel is critical to our guests when making choices for hotel accommodations. We promise that we will use this valuable information to improve. We hope that you will allow us the opportunity to regain your trust the next time you stay with us!

Best Regards