“Very Nice”

Danubius Grand Hotel Margitsziget
Ranked #61 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The department that I worked in had a conference at this hotel. Since it was my first time traveling to Europe, I really didn't know what to expect. The Danubius Grand Hotel Margitsziget was beautiful with an old world charm. It sits on a small island, away from the city center, so if you stay here and want to visit the city, you'll have to drive a good distance. A bus drove us to the hotel and the road leading to it was quite narrow, so the ride was a bit unnerving. But the instant we saw the building, the drive was worth it. The facility lived up to its name as it looked quite grand. The staff was very friendly and the food in the dining room was delicious. During our dinner, we were serenaded by a string quartet that went around the room and played a bit at each table. That was delightful!

The room was a decent size and the bed was comfortable.

The only reason I didn't rate this hotel excellent is that the room was extremely hot and there was no way to cool it off except to open the window. The room does not have individual climate control, so I had trouble sleeping for the first few days due to the heat. The other reason is that I was initially charged for consuming beverages they had in the room, but I not only did I fail to drink any of them, I didn't even touch them. I told the front desk that I didn't drink anything in the room and they immediately removed the charges. A few of my colleagues experienced the same thing. Because we had such a large group, it could have been an innocent mistake, but it was still frustrating to have to address it with the front desk staff nonetheless. Overall, it was a nice hotel and I would stay there again if given the opportunity.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
NGabeli, Manager at Danubius Grand Hotel Margitsziget, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comment: It is a pleasure for that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our services good and the staff friendly. It is a special delight for us that you could value the Grand Hotel's old charm. Special thanks to your kind words of the string quartet playing at the restaurant in the evenings.
We are sorry to hear that the air-condition's work did not meet your requirements and the only way to cool the room was to open the window. Thanks to our location, you will get always fresh, cool air from outside, assured by the ancient trees around the hotel.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again in our Danubius Hotel
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,809)

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

After several stays in the next Danubius Health & Spa Hotel I decided to try this seamingly more luxurious Grand hotel on Margitszieget island. However, the Spa hotel is much better in my opinion. Grand hotel is old which is visible everywhere - in rooms, reception, dining area, a bit "smelly" in public areas etc. Wifi is for free only at lobby bar but in fact never works properly. Although staff is friendly, check in/out quite fast and food ok, I would not choose for the Grand hotel in Margitszieget anymore. It is simply too old fashioned.

• Stayed: June 2014
NGabeli, Manager at Danubius Grand Hotel Margitsziget, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comment on Tripadvisor website on our hotel and it is a pleasure for us that you regularly visited our sister hotel next to the Grand Hotel.
The Grand Hotel celebrates its 141. anniversary this year, it is a hotel with the turn-off-the century atmosphere and they are plenty of guests prefering this style and not the modern building. The rooms could have a fresh up in the near future, we hope, that our English owner will decide on it soon.
We have just improved our wifi service and offer a very good quality for all of our hotel guests in rooms as well free of charge. Hopefully you will have the possibility to check it at your next stay.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again in our Danubius Hotel

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We went here for a late lunch. The reception staff were very helpful and directed us to their cafe as we were too late for lunch in their restaurant. All was looking good at that point! However, my experience at the cafe was not good and did not reflect well on the hotel. I can't remember a time when I've been served by someone who just scowled at the customers - not one smile. The food was adequate but the experience was not a pleasant one.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen T
NGabeli, Manager at Danubius Grand Hotel Margitsziget, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Guest,
First of all we would like to thank you for having chosen our café for a short lunch on your last Budapest visit. We are very sorry to learn from your comment that not every service were up to your expectations. There is a continuous effort to improve our services. We do very much hope you will find the time to return back to us and we can regain your confidence.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is an interesting hotel, it reeks of grandness from a few years back. The hotel is located on the beautiful Margits island and is attached to the hotel next door with excellent Spa facilities.
For anyone wanting to go to the city area though it is quite a decent (25 minute) walk, albeit through a beautiful park but you probably wouldn't want to do it too often. Therefore taxis are required which increases the cost.
The rooms are good but could do with updating, I do object to being charged for Wifi in the room these days, but there is free wifi in the reception area.
Breakfast was over priced at 15 euros for very basic fare.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank chris17phillips
NGabeli, Manager at Danubius Grand Hotel Margitsziget, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for sharing your opinion about the hotel’s services.
Thank you for your comments regarding the excellent spa facilities.
We kindly draw your attention that besides taxi service there is a public bus transport towards the city, which arrives in 10 minutes to the inner city. The cost of public transportation is about 1,2 EUR / line, but if you buy a 3 days ticket it is the best deal for our travellers.
And last but not least we have good news for you: from the 1st of July we offer gratis WIFI for all of our kind guests in the rooms as well.
Looking forward to hearing again from you, I remain
with best regards

Reviewed 27 May 2014

This hotel is situated in the most beautiful spot in Budapest; namely the Margaret Island in the river Danube in Budapest. The food in the restaurant is very good (we tried the buffé several times, the dishes varied from day to day), the room was spacious with nice furniture and GREAT bed, including blankets and pillow. (Pillow is often a problem in hotels.) The service was good although some hungarians seem to be a bit grumpy every now and then... I don't mind that as long as they help me.
The breakfast iwas splended. :-D
The Spa facilities was easy to access through a tunnel. There is a pool for swimming and several pools with hot water, as well as saunas, dry and humid. Great with "cold bath" outside the dry sauna. Bath robes comes with room.
Wifi at the room is not for free, wich would have been great. But you can have free access in the lounge.
The Margaret Island is great for joggers. Along the shores there is a running lane, about 5 km long. But if you don't like walking you may find it a bit "off side" the city.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
NGabeli, Manager at Danubius Grand Hotel Margitsziget, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
We would like to thank you very much for posting a positive review on our Danubius Grand Hotel.
We are very happy that you were satisfied with the location of the hotel and found the food very good, your room spacious and the beds GREAT. It is a pleasure for us that you could enjoy our spa and wellness facilities, and that you can recommend our hotel for relaxing.
We good news for you: from the 1st of July we offer WIFI gratis in each room for all hotel guests.
Once again many thanks for your kind feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at our hotel.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I was staying in this hotel for a conference. It has a unique location on the island, you do not feel that you are in a city, but in a forest, full of big old trees, birds singing, green grass, thermal waters, friendly and helpfull staff, very good food.
Only bus 26 crosses the island. In order to reach the touristical attractions you have to cross all the island to reach the Margaret bridge.At this end, close to Margaret bridge there is a dancing singing fountain..very nice.
The rooms are outdated. Pretty high ceiling. You can hear well the neighbours.The conference facilities were great. The spa and fitness facilities are in the neighbouring hotel, you can reach through a corridor.I would visit again this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sonia E
NGabeli, Manager at Danubius Grand Hotel Margitsziget, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you very much for posting a positive review on our Danubius Grand Hotel on Margaret Island in Budapest and for recommending us to other travelers.
We are very happy that you were satisfied with our services and enjoyed the environment with the green grass, singing birds and old trees. It is a special pleasure for us that you found our staff helpful and the food very good.
We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you to our Hotel in the future again.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I read reviews on this Hotel before I booked I was a little shocked to see some bad reviews. However I have since been and stayed in Budapest and we stayed in the Grand Hotel Margitsziget.

So this is my honest opinion ( Fantastiic Hotel ) great location a little out of the way you need a taxi or bus to get to town but the location is perfect in the middle of a beautiful park on a small Island in the middle of the river very peacefull no noise.

I have traveled to many countries and strayed in a lot of hotels this was by far the best, all the staff, reception, bar, cleaners very helpfull and very polite a special thank you to the door porter very nice chap.

The room we had was very clean and we loved the decor of the hotel just like going back in time, you will have trouble finding a hotel with as much character as this one.

I personally think this hotel is more suited for the over 25 age group but some younger ones may still love this.

Myself and my partner had a great time in this hotel and recomend it 100% hope we can visit again one day.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank imcpilot
NGabeli, Manager at Danubius Grand Hotel Margitsziget, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for sharing your opinion about our hotel, Danubius Grand Hotel's services.
Thank you for your appreciation and honest opinion like "Fantastic Hotel" despite of having read some other reviews of the hotel. Your words like "this was by far the best hotel, all the staff, reception, bar, cleaners" will give us an extra push to serve our guests always at this or a higher level to get more and more satisfied customers.
We do hope to welcome you next time again here in Budapest.
Looking forward to hearing again from you, I remain