“Never trust a single source of information...”
Review of Mak

Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: District V / Inner City
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Today I forgot this rule. I trusted my Lonely Planet guide alone, without checks on the web, and I chose Mak. Don't misunderstand me: a very valuable guide, but the fact the writer is a great traveller does not mean we also share the same tastes...
First of all: very nice place, very kind young personnel, and actually good food - not all excellent by very good for sure. So what? Well, I thing that for that price - absolutely the highest we paid in our week in Budapest - the choice was by far too small, and the portions quite pediatric.
This is my opinion. Nothing against this nice place, but not what I would be looking for when travelling.
If you are NOT in a budget and if you like nice, elegant restaurants this one could be your best choice. But for a four person family not exactly what I suggest.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I loved this little place. The room is cozy. The servers are friendly and efficient, with excellent knowledge of the food and wine (and very comfortable in English). The courses are beautifully presented and quite tasty. I had mozzarella with watermelon in a beetroot puree which was quite surprising (and yummy). It's not an inexpensive restaurant, but it's half the price you would pay for an equivalent meal in London or New York. Without question the best meal I had in Budapest, and among one of my favourites in Europe.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

This is a great 'fine dining' restaurant set in a quiet street not far from St Stephens Basilica.

The staff here are friendly and attentive and we're happy to help us choose wine with our meal. We ended up with a cracking bottle of Hungarian Sauvignon Blanc.

The food was fantastic, served in good time, presented eloquently. We went for the pork rillette and the veal brisket.

This is fine dining so if you're looking to stuff your face then your going to be disappointed. If you want tasty food to remember give this place a try.

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

This was by far the best restaurant we found in Budapest. The preparation, presentation and service were excellent. Added bonus is the location and interior. If you can only visit one restaurant during your trip. Make it this one.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Mak Bistro may have won many culinary awards but we were not impressed. It is a small restaurant and ambience is baringly simple. Although we were the first customers @ 1830 hrs, service was extremely slow. 2 of us ordered the beef cheeks and 2 ordered the fish. We requested for the beef to be served well done but was told that it cannot be acceded to as it has to be done "medium rare". The appetizers served were so pathetically tiny and so were our main course. They were all presented esthetically but for the expensive price paid @ HUF29,500 we expect to have a hearty meal & not still feeling hungry. Food was tasty but still not good enough as this is the first time that we still need to go somewhere else to fill our still hungry tummies. Not good for the price paid!! Really disappointing dining experience.