“First stop in Budapest and completely blown away” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Costes

Ranked #16 of 3,024 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Central European, Hungarian, International
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: It's Hungary's first Michelin Star restaurant
New York City, New York
“First stop in Budapest and completely blown away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

This was my first dinner in Budapest and our profit-driven taxi driver seemed intent on taking the long way to the restaurant when he found out 1 second into the trip that we weren't locals. This made the restaurant seem way far away, so I was instantly questioning what I was in for. I came to realize the place was much closer to our hotel than I originally believed.

The restaurant's ambiance instantly made us hungry, especially on a cold february night with a nice snow flurry outside. We had a table on the left of the door against the window which is always a favorite of mine and probably the rest of the world. The restaurant had a biased towards tasting menus (4, 5, 6, and 7 courses I believe), although you could order a la carte. Over the years my wife has slowly begun to move away from the tasting menus. She didn't get a chance to opine here as I quickly conveyed to the waiter we would both be having the 6 course tasting menu with the wine pairings. Usually we would not choose the wine pairings but I was eager to try the Hungarian wines and thought this would be a good opportunity to get established in the wines here.

The tasting menu was unbelievable. My two stand out dishes were the Deer and the Guinea Fowl. The meat on each was cooked perfectly and it was the best representation of both dishes I've ever had. These were the two dishes that really stood out the most to us.

I had no complaints about this restaurant until the waiter introduced me to Palinka, which is a Hungarian drink made from either fermented berries or fruits. There also might be gasoline in it. It was extremely strong and pungent but worth trying once or twice in a lifetime.

In the end if I had to recommend somebody a restaurant in Budapest to dine in I believe this would be my first choice. I would definitely go back again.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank James J
Frederic_Germanaz, Manager at Costes, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear James J,

Thank you for your message in TripAdvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed your evening at Costes Restaurant.

Naturally, it is always a pleasure to read that our guests spent memorable time with us.

We are looking forward to see you again.

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane
“The best meal ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

I have eaten in many beautiful restaurants. Costes is up there with the best. I am still dreaming about my apple dessert. We chose the 4 course option with wine matching. There was actually another 4 courses included. For 3 hours we experienced a gastronomic delight.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Frederic_Germanaz, Manager at Costes, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear Tony B,

Thank you for your message in TripAdvisor about your dinner in Costes Restaurant. We are happy that you enjoyed the 4 course menu with wine.
The Granny Smith Apple dessert is also one of our favourites and we recommend it for everybody.
Your comment made the entire staff very proud.

We are looking forward you again in here.

Stockholm, Sweden
“Excellent!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

We had dinner att Costes yesterday and... WOW! Everything was great! The service was impeccable with smiling attentive waitors.
The food was brilliant. We took the 7 course menu, which ended up to be 11 courses with the complementary amuse bouche's. Our favorites was the John Dory and the Red Deer. The apple dessert was also fantastic, so creative! Of course the wine pairing was lovely too.

All and all an amazing evening!

Frederic_Germanaz, Manager at Costes, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear AnnaCStr

I was delighted to read your words about Costes Restaurant.
It is always a pleasure to get such a nice feedback.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the 7 course tasting menu with the wines, especially the John Dory and the Red Deer.
A special enjoyment for us that our waiters could find the best balance between professionalism and friendliness.
Thank you once again for your comment.
Hope to see you again very soon.

Best regards,
Miami, Florida
“A culinary delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I agree with one of the reviews, why only one Michelin star? The food, the presentation, the innovative combinations of flavors and textures will please any real foodie. This place is not a marketing job. It is not big, the decor is pleasant but niente speciale as my Italian friends say but you go hear to get a unique experience. The Portugese executive chef Miguel Vieria is ready for the second star. The new tasting menu and the many little bits brought in between will take you on a culinary expedition but not in a fluctuating or hectic way but a very well thought out and pleasant way. You will eat absolutely top quality food very nicely presented without being pretentious.
What was really surprising is the wine pairing with all local Hungarian wines. I've had nice Hungarian wines before but somehow the selected ones resonated with me much better than usual. I must admit it was some time ago when I've enjoyed the food and wine pairing as much as well as the information presented by the seemingly very young sommelier. Go for the food and with realistic expectations as it is not Robuchon in Vegas (yet) and you will be very pleased.
It is reasonably priced for what you get.
Worth the time and effort.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Frederic_Germanaz, Manager at Costes, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear SharinglsCaring2013,

Many thanks for your review, we do appreciate your satisfaction and rating. It is always a pleasure to read passionate feedback like yours.

We are very glad that you enjoyed the flavors and design dishes of the Chef and his kitchen. Every day, we try to put our best from the conception of the meals to their service at your table and
thanks to the professionalism of our motived waiters we could (and always try to) provide an efficient high-level service.

Your feedback is cherished and highly appreciated even in the long line of positive comments. Your review has made the entire staff of Costes proud.

Once again thank you very much.
Hope to see you again very soon

worcs
“why only one star?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

This restaurant we booked not knowing it was a michelin 1 star.Having eaten there it deserves 2.The food was excitingly presented and simply superb.This is not a cheap evening out but the cooking is exceptional.The young sommelier was extremely knowledgable and chose hungarian wines for us based on our known likes and dislikes.Although expensive they were simply brilliant we didnt know hungary produces wines of this quality.All in all a brilliant but expensive evening.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Frederic_Germanaz, Manager at Costes, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Patbrownett,

Thank you for choosing Costes restaurant during your recent trip to Budapest. I was delighted to read your kind remarks regarding the food, highlighting the professional service you received and that you enjoyed the wines of Hungary presented by our sommelier Daniel.

I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Best regards,