“Looking for traditional food for good price?”
Review of Monarchia Old

Monarchia Old
Ranked #2,569 of 3,108 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Eastern European, Central European, Hungarian
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: District V / Inner City
Description: All of the customers are welcome in our new restaurant in the city center of Budapest, where you can taste the traditional hungarian specialties, but you can try some italian food specialties as well.We serve approximately 100 types of famous hungarian wine beside the excellent dishes.You can find here all of the best values of the old times, in the design, and in the friendly atmosphere as well.
“Looking for traditional food for good price?”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

So a couple days ago I came to visit Hungary again, and a very kind, fluent English speaker guy stopped me in Váci street. The food was pretty good, liked it, although the waiter did not speak English as well as I expected, there were no problems, and any question I had, the same guy who invited me, answered for. The drinks are on avarege price considering the restaurant is in Váci street, and the Pálinka was also really good. If you are planning to buy something cheap, well....it is a restaurant, and it is in the most expensive area of Budapest, so I would say, it has good prices in that area. Reading all the flaming reviews...people are just dumb, to be honest. Did not experienced any of those.

• Visited March 2014

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Good.....but.....”
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited this restaurant in January and was welcomed in by one of the friendly waiters. We proceeded to order and subsequently had a lovely meal. However, there was a duo of blokes playing traditional music in the corner as background music and it was lovely, until they then wandered around and stopped at our table, proceeded to play a couple of tunes and then demanded 5000 hufs (about £17) I didnt ask to be serenaded and they made us feel really uncomfortable as they just stood there waiting to be paid while we ate dessert. Eventually they left our table after 5 mins or so when they realised they weren't getting the money. Needless to say we paid and left quite sheepish, it wasnt a pleasant experience

2 Thank Carl1903
Ponta Grossa, PR
“Dont even get close to it!!!”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Food isnt THAT bad, but its way too expensive for its quality. Service is -10 on a 0 to 10 scale. Waitress screamed at our table, and talked down on us. On the time to pay the bill, they put several extra taxes and stuff.
Environment and furnishing are different, but too outdated, old and dirty.
If you dont want to get anger or mad, dont be even close to it. And I mean it... waiters stand outside the restaurant screaming to public to come in.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank GPortella
Berlin, Germany
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tourist trap”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Do not go there! We went there only because it was close to our hotel. I ordered from the menu because it looked alright but they totally ripped us off! They overcharged us for side dishes we didn't order and even the prices in the menu look blurry so you think it's cheaper than what it actually is. The food was only OK, nothing to write home about. But it's definitely not worth it. Specially with so many nice places around. Just to even bother to look at the menu, walk past it, best thing you can do

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Augustine16
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We had a delicious late night pizza”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

It's my third time here in Hungary, and I've never been more satisfied with the place. I can only recommend. The restaurant where we went in, was in the Vaci street, we were very tired, and we wanted to take a rest, and eat a pizza. We found a really good restaurant, with a really good price. They offered the pizzas with 20% discount, the waiters were really kind, and helpful. We could ask them about the city, and the tourist attractions. The live music was fascinating, just a little bit loud. The service was fast. And the pizza was delicious. I think we are going to came back soon.

• Visited November 2013