“Brilliant Hungarian food in a beautiful setting”

Bazilika Cafe & Restaurant
Ranked #1,419 of 3,299 Restaurants in Budapest
Price range: US$4 - US$45
Cuisines: Hungarian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: District V / Inner City
Description: Tradition and Variety Since 1989 Our restaurant is in the city center next to the St. Stephen's Basilica at the atmospheric St. Stephen's square. Visiting the cathedral and it's surroundings is a pleasant and memorable experience and one of the most popular activity in Budapest. Be our guest, with reasonable prices and excellent quality, we look forward to your visit!
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Brilliantly located next to St Stephens Basilica, we sat outside for our meal. There was a lovely atmosphere with lots of people dining and candles on all the tables. The food was superb - the goulash was great and the service was really quick and yet still not expensive. Definitely worth a visit!

2  Thank Marielu1

Reviewed 22 April 2013

We went to Bazilika our first night in Budapest four years ago because it was in walking distance to our hotel, and it was a perfect choice! The Hungarian wines were very reasonable for the excellent quality, all the food was prepared with the chef's loving care, I highly recommend this restaurant centrally located in Budapest. We now have made several visits over the years and the Quality and Service has always been first class. I do not understand the comments about poor service and quality!!
I & B J Robinson
England

2  Thank Ian R
Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

I had lunch here in the deadest part of the low season, so I shouldn't have been surprised that things were pretty sleepy. No other diners and the chef had to be called back in from some other errand which had distracted him. That alone should have been warning enough.

I chose a traditional Hungarian dish which appeared with suspicious speed from the kitchen. It was alright but not worth the high price I was charged for it. There are much better options nearby where you can find good cooking for a reasonable price. This restaurant appears to be charging a significant premium for its location on the Cathedral square.

Reviewed 16 February 2013

We found this while wandering from the Parliament building back to the hotel one evening. If you face the front of St Stephen's Basilica, this unpretentious-looking restaurant is on the right hand side of the square. The menu specialised in Hungarian dishes, and was conveniently in four languages. The friendly and helpful waiter spoke excellent English, and I think I heard some other languages as well.The portions are generous, but I have rarely had a tastier meal, and they were also able to supply a bottle of Tokaji. Very highly recommended.

2  Thank Alison P
Reviewed 16 December 2012 via mobile

Avarage, that is the right word to tell all about this place. Goulash soup with bread on top of it was really funny looking.
Staff were really rude.