“Really cool place to stay”
Review of Brody House

Brody House
Ranked #2 of 191 Budapest B&B and Inns
Bagram, Afghanistan
“Really cool place to stay”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My fiance and I stayed at the Brody House in April 2014. We loved it. It seemed like it was on a hidden little street but that made it great because there wasn't much traffic outside the hotel. It was within walking distance to lots of great cafes, ruin pubs, restaurants, museums and shopping area on the Pest side. We stayed in the Ludo room and it had a really hip style to it. The ambience in the room was perfect for reading, enjoying some quiet time, relaxing in the bath tub, had a perfect rain shower... lots of room.. and the bed was super comfortable... We made use of the honesty bar. Everyone who was at the front desk was super helpful. There are a lot of stairs upon arriving, (which the staff always offers to help you out) we didn't mind, we needed the extra exercise with all the boozing and eating we were doing... Enjoyed the atmostphere in the lounge areas with the art displays and books all around.. The room had a brief description of the artist that designed it. I am assuming all the rooms do that, which I thought was really cool. Only reason it doesn't get a five is because the snacks at the honesty bar were always a little stale and thought maybe the breakfast was a little overpriced. The hotel is a little on the pricey side. But if you are looking for a cool eclectic place to unwind after adventuring out on the town and can afford to spend a little more on accommodation, it is totally worth it. The room itself may be one of my favorite rooms I have ever stayed in. Very unique. If/when we go back to Budapest we will certainly look at staying at the Brody House. What's fun is all the rooms are different, so you do have options with type and price. It would be cool to see some of the art work in the different rooms... Highly recommend this place, especially for couples....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
London
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Shoebox Room

One of the reasons I went to Budapest is because of the price and quality of the rooms in this hotel.

Spotted through a Valentine's offer I was immediately drawn to the picture of the room shown in the promotion but the price clinched it. When I bumped into someone who informed me of the new cheap flights from London to Budapest with Whizz Air I knew I had found the perfect excuse to go.

The rooms on offer at Brody House are all unique. But as I travel solo and wanted to keep my flight/accommodation costs to a minimum (without sacrificing on comfort and convenience), I chose the smallest room on offer - the Shoebox Room.

If you're part of a couple I would probably suggest you look at the other rooms, but for me this room was perfect. With its quirky split-level design: extremely comfortable double bed found up some specially designed stairs, and the bathroom/dressing area downstairs, it was stylish, comfortable, quiet and felt very cozy.

The stairs are unusual and the first couple of attempts were clumsy, but once I got the hang of it I was up and down them like a monkey. In fact, Brody House goes out of its way to create a unique atmosphere in every room and there's something quite cheeky and youthful about this one. It felt like my own private den and I always looked forward to returning to it at the end of the day. It's not for everyone, but I loved it.

On the practical side, there's plenty of room for hanging clothes with a special pull-out rail. There are discrete drawers and a safe in the stairs and a power hairdryer is provided. I didn't see an iron but I'm sure you could ask reception for one. There's a shower room with a powerful rain-head shower - not for lingering too long under as the hot water slowly gets cooler, but you can prevent that by turning it off when soaping etc. better for the environment anyway - and heated towel racks which keep the shower/toilet room warm and the towels dry. I remember a TV but I didn't use it. The heating was fast and easy to use and I only needed it a couple of times on the last night and next morning (I was there in March, which is still boots weather). There's plenty of light from a floor to ceiling window in the corner and lots of privacy.

The room is on the first floor next to another building which houses the main reception/lounge/bar areas and is connected via a lovely courtyard with chairs and tables and a corridor on the second floor. Brody House itself is very central and secure - there is a security system and as a guest you are given an entry code - situated in a quiet square within walkable distance to virtually everything.

I was profoundly impressed by the restaurant recommendations made by the hotel. I should point out, at this stage, that Brody House is actually part of a members club and when you stay there you get temporary membership which gives you discounts at a selection of sophisticated restaurants, bars and night clubs. I didn't sample the bars and night clubs but I ate at three of the suggested restaurants, all of which were superb!

They don't have their own restaurant but do provide a good selection of continental breakfasts incl. toast, pastries, fresh fruit, nuts, cereal, yoghurt etc. as well as cooked breakfasts and lunch. It's a little bit more expensive than you'll find elsewhere, however the dining rooms/ lounges are quiet and colourful places to relax and plan your day ahead. The staff are also friendly, helpful and informal, making you feel right at home.

Basically, if you're looking for an affordable city break full of interesting sites, incredible food and plenty of culture, you could do a lot worse than going to Budapest. And if you go, don't bother staying anywhere other than here.

Note for people travelling from London: Whizz Air offers cheap shuttle bus transfers from the airport into the center of town, which I highly recommend. You should be aware that they are not always entirely punctual, but they will get you to the airport on time and will reliably collect you from the airport. On the way to the city center, the bus passes close to Brody House, so it's worth asking the driver if he can drop you off en route. Depending on how many people he is ferrying, it shouldn't be a problem.

Room Tip: Every room is unique. Find the one that fits your budget best.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Nixin_10
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed 5 nights at the Brody House, having booked it through Mr & Mrs Smith. Just an amazing place, full of beautiful art (so good I bought two paintings) all of which is for sale. Quirky, enchanting, charming, design heaven and at a very reasonable price.

Sylvia and Klaudia could not do enough for us, and it was all with charm and politeness, making those stairs up to reception a little less hard work after a long day walking around Budapest.

Breakfast was delicious and well presented in the lovely surroundings in the lounge and dining areas.

The hotel is well located and within easy walking distance of pretty much everywhere and local tram stops and metro. We went to a concert at the stadium and it was really easy to get to and from out of town locations as well.

I would stay here again without question if I ever came back to Budapest.

The only cons really would be that there were no tea or coffee making facilities in the rooms and being an old building there was no lift. So if you can't do stairs, go to the boring old Marriott.

Room Tip: If you get the chance to stay in more than one room, do it. As they are all very unique.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Parker, Colorado
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Absolutely wonderful place. Excellent, helpful, friendly service that made us feel very "at home" and an absolutely beautiful place to stay. Art work throughout Brody House is tasteful and just a knock out. We'll be back.

Room Tip: You get more exercise on the stairs if you stay in a room away from the office.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Pros:
- The rooms are each designed by a different artist which is so unique and makes you feel like you are living within an artwork! Would love to try them all!
- No tea/coffee amenities within the room however access to the lounge where you can help yourself to the tea, coffee and bar. Feels like you're in your own lounge room, very homely and love the furnishings.
- Great shower. The bath was in the room which was cool.
- Good service, friendly check in and out.
- Perfect location.
Cons:
- No TV....maybe good for those of us who are glued to it when at home. So can't complain (too much).
- Aircon was really loud when we were sleeping (stays on thermostat...not given a controller)
- We didn't eat breakfast here, it wasn't included in the price and at 8 euro seemed a bit overpriced for the small buffet on offer of pastries, cheese, ham, yoghurt.
- Could only get a Sunday night booking even 5 months in advance. However this is a members club so priority goes to members (we were non members).

Room Tip: Ludo room is cool
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Flims, Switzerland
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed end of April and had a great time. Brody house has a very special atmosphere which we liked immediately. Arriving with an early morning flight first thing we did was dumping our luggage and having breakfast before exploring the city. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the hotel is situated in the inner city but in a quiet area, a lot of things are well within walking distance. Klaudia was very helpful when the heating system didn't work in our room (the print studio, lots of space and very nicely furnished) the first evening, she really tried everything to get it fixed and finally offered us another room when it became clear that they were not able to get it working that night (easter monday). We turned that offer down as we went out for dinner anyhow and then headed straight to bed. After a few glasses of wine on the house at the 'honesty bar' (excellent idea) offered by Klaudia for the inconvenience and dinner in a nearby restaurant we fell sound asleep in the comfortable bed and the next day everything was working fine and we had it warm and cozy afterwards. We would certainly recommend this place to anyone we know and hope ourselves to be back again one day.

Room Tip: Apparently there are rooms without real windows, or windows that are above the door and open only to...
1 Thank nicole f
Hinckley
Reviewed 3 May 2014

What a great place to stay in a beautiful city. Brody House is an unassuming building from the outside, but a real gem as soon as you enter. From the soft lighted lobby, to the grand staircase, to the stylish, bohemian interior designs in every room, there is something to see around every corner.

This is balanced perfectly by the staff who were all very professional and attentive, particularly Klaudia (who waited for my late arrival in Budapest) and Szilvi (something of an expert with Canon printers!), both of whom were full of personality, friendly, and helpful as could be. The optional continental breakfast at 8 euros offers a fulfilling start to the day, and extras can be ordered separately.

I stayed in the The Agi Room, which was clean, spacious, light and of course very stylish. It had a small balcony overlooking the courtyard below. If I had to find one gripe, it would be the motion-sensor which turned the light on in the lavatory, which was over-sensitive to movement and as a result you feel like you have to 'keep things moving' for the light to remain on!

A thoroughly recommended place to stay for a visit to Budapest, with a great central location. I just wished I'd have spent more time discovering the other facilities that Brody Studios had to offer, so maybe a return trip needs to be planned :)

Room Tip: The Agi Room was a fantastic en-suite double room (also available with twin beds). It was quiet, sun...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo