“Learned to Cook like Grandma!”

Culinary Hungary Home Cooking Class and Market Tour
Book In Advance
More Info
US$104.44*
and up
Hungarian Home Cooking Class in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: Join our hands-on home cooking classes for a fun and interactive experience with an insight into history, culture, food, wine and tradition. Visitors to Budapest often count Hungarian cuisine as one of the most memorable parts of their trip. Culinary Hungary's intimate, in-home cooking classes allow you to learn to cook Hungarian in a relaxing environment. Add a market tour and you will end up with a one-of-a-kind, delicious Budapest experience. Hosts Agnes and Andrew, a native Hungarians, will guide you through Hungarian food and cooking techniques spiced up with interesting stories in a lovely Budapest apartment. All lessons are hands-on and held in English. No cooking skills required. Lessons end with eating your very own home-cooked Hungarian meals.
Reviewed 9 December 2011

What a wonderful experience. Food was awesome, and the conversation was great.
I learned to cook like my grandmother.
Home was very nice, easy to find and felt like I knew them forever. I hope I do.
Must do, if you are going to Budapest!

All reviews
"stuffed cabbage"
in 12 reviews
"hungarian life"
in 11 reviews
"highly recommend this class"
in 7 reviews
"great market"
in 5 reviews
"whole process"

Reviewed 7 December 2011

Visited Budapest with my mother, sister and son and chose to try the Culinary Hungary Home Cooking Class. So glad we did! Had the great pleasure of meeting Agnes and Istvan who warmly made us all feel at home and brought us the memorable experience of cooking (and eating) some great Hungarian food. For those that want to revisit the foods that your grandmother prepared...this is a sure bet. Would like to come back with my wife and daughter next year.

Reviewed 7 December 2011

This was the highlight of my trip to Budapest. We didn't do the market tour; just the cooking, but she let us select what we wanted to make. We made a wonderful cream soup with lemon, chicken, and vegetables, stuffed cabbage and a poppy seed bread pudding. When I told Agnes that we couldn't get the cabbage already marinated as she could, she called her mother for the recipe.

I highly recommend this for anyone visiting Budapest who wants to try their hand at cooking delicious food and enjoying a delightful person in her home in Buda.

Reviewed 2 December 2011

My wife and I took the Culinary Hungary Cooking class with Agnes and Istvan during our trip to Budapest. It was the most memorable part of our visit to Budapest. We selected stuffed cabbage, bean soup and cottage cheese dumplings for our class. All of the dishes were excellent, but the stuffed cabbage was our favorite. It was just wonderful. It is a hands on cooking class, but Agnes and Istvan gave us plenty of help and instruction. They also shared background information on the recipes and ingredients. We took the four-hour cooking only class. The time went by fast, but we were not rushed. It was very relaxing.

Agnes and Istvan are a delightful young couple and we enjoyed the conversation as much as we enjoyed the food and cooking. We were greeted with a variety of Hungarian hors d'oeuvres and wine. We think the best part of traveling is connecting with local people and we immediately felt like old friends. They openly shared stories of their experiences growing up and living in Hungary. Agnes and Istvan warmly welcomed us into their home and gave us our best memories of Budapest. We will always think of them when we enjoy the recipes we learned how to make in their class.

2  Thank John B
See more reviews
Reviewed 15 November 2011

If you are serious about learning something about Hungarian cooking (Susan Derecskey's book is a great first step) with some prior praparation you can find several that you will be glad you did.

Hungarian cooking is not complicated, neither is French, but the results are worth the effort.

Inquire prior to your travel, plan well and you will not be disappointed - in fact, I'd say you'll be well rewarded for your efforts.

2  Thank Julie M