“Great place to stay”

Ranked #5 of 187 Budapest B&B and Inns
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Andreas & Timea were perfect hosts
Accommodation were great , wonderful "coffee" & breakfast. Andreas was very helpful in suggesting sights/tours as we tried to take in as much as we could of the beautiful city of Budapest.
Highly recommended
Bernie & Ruth

The entire holiday was wonderful - one that we will never forget!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
Ottawa
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I arrived alone in Budapest and my experience started with the taxi driver. I don't remember his name, but he takes almost all the guests to the hotel from the airport. It was a very pleasant 30-minute tour with him. Andreas (the owner of the hotel) was waiting for me when I got out of the taxi. He called me by my first name, even though we hadn't met before.
I was accommodated in the suite that comes with an authentic piece of the medieval Pest town wall! This is something right out of a museum usually, but here you can actually touch history. Amazing! After Andreas showed me the room I was asked to be at the reception desk for a brief but tailormade orientation. I got a Budapest map and plenty of information about the city. He was very informative and helped me book tickets to the parliament, bus tour, etc.
The next morning I experienced breakfast for the first time. I was very impressed about the variety on offer. I uploaded a picture where you can see 5 kinds of cheese, vegetables, fruits, etc. Andreas makes the breakfast together with his wife Timea and on weekends he is helped by a university student, Robert, who also mans the reception desk every other afternoon/evening. Lovely fella! They make delicious coffee and we had pretty long conversations on a wide range of topics.
I particularly recommend taking Tram #2, which gives a gorgeous overview of the Buda skyline and city centre on the Pest side. The hotel is very well situated next to 2 metro lines, so it was quite easy to get anywhere. I also recommend Castle Hill, with buildings from the 16th century.
All in all, I would definitely come back again to see these nice people and the city they so proudly and objectively promote!
Thank you guys!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Dave_ottaw
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Ironically we had booked another place in Budapest, but because the place was not ready when we arrived, we were sent to the Butterfly. It couldn't have been better. Butterfly is centrally located. We were with-in walking distance of many sights, and restaurants. The Butterfly itself is very comfortable. The staff is wonderful. I can not say enough about Andras, the owner. He was always helpful and had excellent suggestions on our itinerary of the day. The morning breakfast was always plentiful and scrumptious. If one day perchance we should return to Budapest we will stay at the Butterfly.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. It was lovely to arrive here after a 15 hour overnight train trip from Romania. Andreas was very helpful and assisted us with getting a transfer pre-arranged to meet us at the station. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable and the air conditioning was great. The housekeeping staff were kind and even did our laundry for a small fee.

It is located in a very convenient spot, about 10 minutes from the river and other attractions. We walked ALOT. We booked a massage and visit to the Gellert Baths through Andreas which was lovely and also a 2 day hop on hop off bus ticket. The bus was very average and slow AND boring. We would have enjoyed the free night river cruise but my hubby was too sick on our last night from something he ate at Fatal. We enjoyed a good meal at For Sale our first night though and the Thai take away near to the B&B was also nice as was the bistro just outside too.

Breakfast was adequate. Having a coffee personally prepared was nice but it does get very cramped in the breakfast room when it's full. It would be nice to see more savoury food options and it set out for better access.

All in all while it was a great stay, something about it was a little disappointing. I had emailed through a list of things to Andreas that we would have liked assistance with booking and had hoped he would have helped us book our onward train travel. While he stated off being very helpful something was missing as time went on. I guess I was disappointed by this as it seemed to be most people's highlight of their stay here.

Would we stay again? Maybe. Budapest is a lovely city so we might return but would stay in an apartment so we could self cater and maybe in another part of the city.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PetaW
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Very clean, good breackfast, walking distance from the city center and may touristic places, staff superkind, reasonable price. They provide for airport transfer, hop of/hop on bus and bath's tickets (you have to pay for it). I recommend to buy all these services through the owner of the B&B (taxi drivers that you find in the street, indeed, for example, tend to cheat on prices...so ask everything to the owner).

The owner is not in the reception all the time, so call and exchange all usefull information before arriving in Budapest and/or during his working hour.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Salve_11
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Arrived by train and was met by a taxi driver who took us to the hotel, which was pre-arranged. Was offered a bigger room by Andras (the owner) as we were staying for 8 nights, for a small amount, which we accepted. The breakfasts were excellent and Andras was very helpful on things to do and how to get to places. We would have missed taking some night shots on Gellert Hill if not for Andras.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ge0ff407
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Butterfly Home is the best place to stay by far. Andras, the owner, is SO helpful and he helped us decide what to do with our days when we had no idea what to do. All of his suggestions were fantastic and we loved everything he told us to do! The rooms are cozy and clean, and the B&B is in a great location; an easy walk to the happening night life of Budapest. The breakfast was delicious too. If you are going to Budapest, you really must stay here! We are definitely coming back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family