“Nice atmosphere, friendly staff, good food”
Review of Chess Restaurant

Chess Restaurant
Ranked #183 of 3,346 Restaurants in Budapest
Price range: US$12 - US$28
Cuisines: French, Hungarian, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: Italian –French-Hungarian Bistro cuisineTradition & Evolution Our Executive Chef, Levente Kovacs thinks this way about our cuisine:“The youthful and modern bistro cuisine is my world, it can renew day by day, it combines the gastronomic ‘lifestyle’ of different places in the world, even on one plate, in a way that, I don't use hundreds of spices with each other, but I’m trying to create exciting contrasts. I do a kind of kitchen minimal-design because simple can be great also. It causes difficulties sometimes for me to not to put all my ideas into one dish. I’m trying to use the raw materials as they were given to me by nature itself, changing only as much as I need. And then we get to a point, where simple is not so simple anymore. Ease and great tasting harmony in life, in the kitchen and on the plate.Simple is hard. Enjoy!”What else can we say? The Chess Restaurant is an intimate place in black and white, absolutely a place to get together frequently, where You can try new dishes day by day with it’s always renewing kitchen creativity, served simply and clearly.The Chess Restaurant opened, it’s Your move now!
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Although the dining experience wasn't as memorable as other ones we had during our week in Budapest it was still decent and pleasant. The service was very good, the food well prepared and enjoyable. It was a pretty quiet night when we dined there, so I can't say what the atmosphere would be like on a busy evening. Overall a nice dinner.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

It was a romantic diner with my wife, it was pretty quite only 3-4 tables. Nice atmosphere. The service was good and welcoming. We've been given (on the house) two glasses of Hungarian sparkling wine that was delicious!! And a salmon tartar... We didn't eat, we don't like salmon. But very nice of them. The food though.... Not a big success for us. For starters,I took a swordfish carpaccio, it was well plated but the fish was frozen so it could be cut fine that destroyed the fish's taste. My wife took a cannelloni field with ricotta not so nice plated but the taste was really good. For main course, I took the lamb dish again not so good(bad luck for me :( ... The meat was done to much and the polenta was boring. My wife took a sage meat ravioli again not something very spacial. We had an Hungarian red wine that was great!! A Recommendation of our waiter. For desert we had the soufflé again not something spacial.

3  Thank dvir s
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I went there with my friends celebrate my birthday and I really enjoyed it :) The how's name is Akos he was so nice. I'm sure I gonna go back soon !!!!

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Wery nice place and excellent friendly staff, good location esy find!definitely go back again!!!!!!!!! :)

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We have tried their Traditional Hungarian menù. It was well cooked and served with 2 exceptions:

- the dessert was terrible.. I cannot even explain what I ate
- DON'T try the champagne with lavander

1  Thank NadineMilano