“Good food, good service”
Review of Chess Restaurant

Chess Restaurant
Ranked #187 of 3,278 Restaurants in Budapest
Price range: US$12 - US$29
Cuisines: French, Hungarian, Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: Italian –French-Hungarian Bistro cuisineTradition & Evolution Our Executive Chef, Levente Kovacs thinks this way about our cuisine:“The youthful and modern bistro cuisine is my world, it can renew day by day, it combines the gastronomic ‘lifestyle’ of different places in the world, even on one plate, in a way that, I don't use hundreds of spices with each other, but I’m trying to create exciting contrasts. I do a kind of kitchen minimal-design because simple can be great also. It causes difficulties sometimes for me to not to put all my ideas into one dish. I’m trying to use the raw materials as they were given to me by nature itself, changing only as much as I need. And then we get to a point, where simple is not so simple anymore. Ease and great tasting harmony in life, in the kitchen and on the plate.Simple is hard. Enjoy!”What else can we say? The Chess Restaurant is an intimate place in black and white, absolutely a place to get together frequently, where You can try new dishes day by day with it’s always renewing kitchen creativity, served simply and clearly.The Chess Restaurant opened, it’s Your move now!
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Good service, tasty food and a great meal had by us both. Definitely recommend for a visit if you are in Budapest.

1  Thank rob106106
There are newer reviews for Chess Restaurant

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Tucked away,near the end of Dob Uta, we broke our rule of not going to hotel restaurants on the basis, they are often a side issue culinary wise. With the very warm weather,we were able to take advantage of a quiet outside courtyard surrounded by plants.
Before we started , the friendly waiter brought us glasses of sparkling wine, infused with lemon, free gratis. Whist we had a bottle of very acceptable Hungarian wine, my wife also had a giant glass of cloudy lemonade with mint garnishing. It looked homemade but eitherway she said it was wonderfully refreshing. Starters were a cold platter which was plenty enough particularly as it was followed by a prawn based 'amuse bouche'. However the real highlight was probably the tastiest pork dish that I had ever had...Pork Medallions with Truffle Butter and a Cashew and Celery Puree. Served up with some fried croquette type potatoes it was quite superb with the decadent richness of the truffle butter. Desserts were a Champagne Jelly and Strawberry sweet with Lavender biscuits for her and a Coconut Bulgar dish with Cocoa Nibs for me.
This memorable meal was fittingly signed off with the Hungarian 'Tokaji' dessert wine.
Definitely a Chess Culinary Masterclass.

1  Thank baltyingbrummie
Reviewed 17 June 2014

before I start we like chess,we have been 4 times in the last 3 years and it does everything a restaurant is supposed to do for me
service is great and the food IMHO is outstanding
9 of us ate here for around £170 sterling including drinks,coffees the works

I had some kind of scallop kebab dish for my main,the picture doesnt do it justice it was fab

1  Thank lutonlagerlout
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Although the dining experience wasn't as memorable as other ones we had during our week in Budapest it was still decent and pleasant. The service was very good, the food well prepared and enjoyable. It was a pretty quiet night when we dined there, so I can't say what the atmosphere would be like on a busy evening. Overall a nice dinner.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

It was a romantic diner with my wife, it was pretty quite only 3-4 tables. Nice atmosphere. The service was good and welcoming. We've been given (on the house) two glasses of Hungarian sparkling wine that was delicious!! And a salmon tartar... We didn't eat, we don't like salmon. But very nice of them. The food though.... Not a big success for us. For starters,I took a swordfish carpaccio, it was well plated but the fish was frozen so it could be cut fine that destroyed the fish's taste. My wife took a cannelloni field with ricotta not so nice plated but the taste was really good. For main course, I took the lamb dish again not so good(bad luck for me :( ... The meat was done to much and the polenta was boring. My wife took a sage meat ravioli again not something very spacial. We had an Hungarian red wine that was great!! A Recommendation of our waiter. For desert we had the soufflé again not something spacial.

3  Thank dvir s