“Staff very friendly and helpful”
Review of Chess Restaurant

Chess Restaurant
Ranked #175 of 3,237 Restaurants in Budapest
Price range: US$12 - US$28
Cuisines: French, Hungarian, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: Italian –French-Hungarian Bistro cuisineTradition & Evolution Our Executive Chef, Levente Kovacs thinks this way about our cuisine:“The youthful and modern bistro cuisine is my world, it can renew day by day, it combines the gastronomic ‘lifestyle’ of different places in the world, even on one plate, in a way that, I don't use hundreds of spices with each other, but I’m trying to create exciting contrasts. I do a kind of kitchen minimal-design because simple can be great also. It causes difficulties sometimes for me to not to put all my ideas into one dish. I’m trying to use the raw materials as they were given to me by nature itself, changing only as much as I need. And then we get to a point, where simple is not so simple anymore. Ease and great tasting harmony in life, in the kitchen and on the plate.Simple is hard. Enjoy!”What else can we say? The Chess Restaurant is an intimate place in black and white, absolutely a place to get together frequently, where You can try new dishes day by day with it’s always renewing kitchen creativity, served simply and clearly.The Chess Restaurant opened, it’s Your move now!
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Staff very friendly and helpful”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We just went in for drinks and the staff were very friendly and we needed directions for later that evening and they went out of their way to help us.

Visited June 2014

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Split, Croatia
“Chess:-)”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We came here, because I love playing chess, so I thought it will be funny to grab something to eat and play chess in the same time:-). I was wrong! The food was so fantastic, that we even did not think about chess. The pea soup and duck liver tart were just the beginning. But the highlight of the day were our main dishes: grilled lamb and the steak with the "langosh" : perfect! The wein we were suggested was also good choice, altogether we paid including coffee and aperitife 50 euro - very good value for money.

• Visited June 2014
“Chess, It's time to make your move! ”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Durind our first evening in Budapest we opted to try chess.

Met by polite and helpful service.

The complimentary sparkling wine and salmon canapés were very nice and unexpected.

As a group of four we each enjoyed our main course. Each main was well presented, prepared and very tasty.

Would happily recommend. Not the cheapest, however, by British prices, very reasonable.

1 Thank Tom R
London, United Kingdom
“Good food, good service”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Good service, tasty food and a great meal had by us both. Definitely recommend for a visit if you are in Budapest.

1 Thank rob106106
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“GREAT MEAL....CHECKMATE!”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Tucked away,near the end of Dob Uta, we broke our rule of not going to hotel restaurants on the basis, they are often a side issue culinary wise. With the very warm weather,we were able to take advantage of a quiet outside courtyard surrounded by plants.
Before we started , the friendly waiter brought us glasses of sparkling wine, infused with lemon, free gratis. Whist we had a bottle of very acceptable Hungarian wine, my wife also had a giant glass of cloudy lemonade with mint garnishing. It looked homemade but eitherway she said it was wonderfully refreshing. Starters were a cold platter which was plenty enough particularly as it was followed by a prawn based 'amuse bouche'. However the real highlight was probably the tastiest pork dish that I had ever had...Pork Medallions with Truffle Butter and a Cashew and Celery Puree. Served up with some fried croquette type potatoes it was quite superb with the decadent richness of the truffle butter. Desserts were a Champagne Jelly and Strawberry sweet with Lavender biscuits for her and a Coconut Bulgar dish with Cocoa Nibs for me.
This memorable meal was fittingly signed off with the Hungarian 'Tokaji' dessert wine.
Definitely a Chess Culinary Masterclass.

1 Thank baltyingbrummie