“Good, fair hotel”

The Aquincum Hotel Budapest
Ranked #129 of 335 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Location not very convenient, but overall a good, semi-luxurious hotel. The spa and the swimming pool is very good and the staff was friendly and helpful. Bathrobe in every room. The taxi to the main attractions costs about 15 euros.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
ManagementBudapest, General Manager at The Aquincum Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences about your recent stay at The Aquincum Hotel Budapest.

It is very important for us to understand how effectively we meet our guests' needs in order to make sure that we are able to constantly improve the standards of our services.

We were pleased to read that you were happy with your stay at our hotel and we highly appreciate your kind comments in regard to the spa area and our staff and the services provided.

Gábor Nemes

Write a ReviewReviews (1,494)

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I just stayed in this hotel. I choose this hotel because of it's good review. My first day was a disaster. I booked a transportation from the hotel to pick me up at the airport but guess what... Nobody came to picked me up so i had to take the airport taxi to be able to get to the hotel. When i got there i told the receptionist. The way she talks was irritating...i dont knop if she's mocking me or not. For my compensation Thea upgraded my room. And of course i need to try their spa services... The first 2 spa was ok. But the third time...it was very unpleasant.... Really, really unpleasant... It was an old man... I was shocked.. Because i had to take off all my clothes all through the spa treatment...and i asked him if he can talk and understand english and he said no... IT was a very traumatic experience and to make the matter worst...after my spa, the receptionist at the spa department was laughing and talking in their language (hungarian). The next day i told about the incedent to the receptionist in the front desk, she was helpful, she immediately told there manager about it. And the manager told me that they can speak and understand english. So i was fooled, again racist, because i'm originally from an asian country but now living in norway. I find it unprofessional, rude and racism. AS a compensation, the manager gave back the money i paid. But the trauma and experience is there already.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ciejay10
ManagementBudapest, General Manager at The Aquincum Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Madam / Sir,

First of all thank you for staying in The Aquincum Hotel Budapest.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us a valuable customer's feedback regarding your recent stay at The Aquincum Hotel Budapest. It is very important for us to understand how effectively we meet our guests' needs.

We deeply regret to read that our staff did not care about you as you expected. We deeply apologize that our taxi driver did not find you at the airport and you had to choose another taxi.

Let me express my deepest apology again for the inconvenience that we caused to you and for the behaviour of the staff.

It indeed is our goal to fulfill or even exceed expectations of our clients. Please rest assured that we will at all times do everything to please and even anticipate the needs of our guests. We hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Aquincum Hotel Budapest in the not too distant future, we remain with our best regards,

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Very pleasant staff, helpful and welcoming. Hotel a bit dated and our room - very spacious and clean - could have benefited from a new mattress on the bed. Vast and varied breakfast buffet could feed you for the whole day if you tried one of everything! Pleasant bar, but we were astounded, on receiving our bill, to see a 27 percent service charge on drinks. This may be the norm in Budapest but it came as a nasty shock to us! The location is a bit far from the centre to be really convenient but the train service closer to the centre is frequent and cheap. We enjoyed our stay because we had a good package, but would not describe this as a five star experience - decent four star is probably closer to reality.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you for choosing our Hotel and share your experiences.

We regret to read that you were not satisfied with the quality of the mattress regarding the bed. We are sorry that your experience was anything less than satisfying.

Besides this we were pleased to read that you were happy with your stay at our hotel and we highly appreciate your kind comments in regard to our rooms, breakfast, bar, transportation opportunities near the hotel and our staff and their services provided.

Please be assured that we will at all times do everything to please and even anticipate the needs of our guests.

In the hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Aquincum Hotel Budapest in the not too distant future, we remain with our best regards,

Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Aquincum hotel in Budapest used to be a very nice hotel. Its design reveals "golden nineties". Its lobby, conference hall, dining room and guest room desperately needs refurbishment. Anywhere you can find lots of brass, gold, wood. Rooms are enough big but the furniture is old.
The hotel is far away from the city centre and you need train and subway to reach points of interest.
I would like to finish in positive attitude.
The hotel is very clean, staff is excellent and all of them are speaking English.
You don't have to go in the city centre to find interesting pubs- just behind the train station (cca 200 m inside) there is sort of old town where you can find interesting places to drink a beer :-)

1  Thank Goran H
ManagementBudapest, General Manager at The Aquincum Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for recently staying with us at The Aquincum Hotel Budapest. We value each guest, as we know that you have a choice when deciding where to stay while here in Budapest on business or pleasure.

We regret to learn that you were not satisfied with the condition of room furnishing in the hotel. We apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Please be assured that we always try to improve our quality. We strive to exceed our guest expectations by providing the right room, the right technology and the right service to make every stay relaxing, invigorating, stimulating and filled with positive interactions.

Except from this negative experience, thank you that you highlighted on the cleanliness of the hotel. We highly appreciate your nice sentence regarding to the staff.

Thank you again for your feedback, we truly appreciate knowing about our guest's experiences so we can celebrate our successes and address our challenges to better serve you in the future. We look forward to your return when you are in the area again.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Excellent hotel with respect to relaxation and cleanliness. Pretty far from the city center. Its good for easy days in Budapest. One can reach the city center through a nearby train station. The train stops in the Buda side across from the Parliament.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
ManagementBudapest, General Manager at The Aquincum Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you for choosing our Hotel and share your experiences.

We were pleased to read that you were happy with your stay at our hotel and you could relax during your stay.
We highly appreciate that you highligthed on the cleanliness of the hotel. Thank you that you mentioned the public transportation.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Yesterday I had my best experience ever in this hotel. I went to there to meet with one of my really really good friend, and we organized this in the last minute. When I entered to the hotel and checked in i was very surprised. Gabor, the receptionist was really friendly with me, and help to me in everything. Even he suggest to me one better room in same price, because they had a really good free room. I was really satisfied with everything, the place is so nice, and the location is close to everything in Budapest. I hope I can go back soon! :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Madam,

Thank you for choosing our Hotel and share your experiences in Trip Advisor.
We were pleased to read that you were happy with your stay at our hotel and we highly appreciate your kind comments in regard to our staff - especially Gábor at the Front desk - and the services provided. We highly appreciate that you would like to return.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Before I added my own review, I read some of the last 10 reviews. I found that most had commented upon my own feelings BUT the negative views expressed in some instances seemed over stated.
My own feeling is that the hotel is out of the city centre but transport is readily available. The hotel to me did not seem 5 star but a good 4star. The rooms were well appointed and my standard room was very comfortable with sofa and table which were much appreciated.
The breakfast choice I found to be excellent, and unless your looking for a fry-up you won't be dissapointed as the choice is extensive and the quality excellent.
I ate in the hotel on both evenings and the quality, value and choice was excellent. From simple reasonably priced burger and chips in the bar to fine cuisine in the restaurant, the food is very good.
I thoroughly enjoyed the spa and the gym, and I used them all in the 3 days I was there. Including an excellent Hot stone massage from Mia

The service and friendliness from the staff throughout the hotel was in my experience excellent from the front desk, bar , restaurant and spa. One special touch was when I had only a few hours to spend siteseeing I asked the front desk for their recommendation, and they were only to glad to help. In fact as the hotel taxi wasn't available she very kindly arranged a member of staff to drive me to the castle free of charge

Room Tip: ask for 3rd floor