“Great location, comfortable room”

Carlton Hotel Budapest
Ranked #81 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Brooklyn, New York
“Great location, comfortable room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

We stayed here in a triple for three nights in mid-April and would not hestitate to return. The lobby is spacious, there is a nice seating area, a coffee bar, and three computers with solid internet access. The location can not be beat as it is on the quieter Buda side but almost at the foot of the Chain Bridge to get to the Pest side. It is very near a bus that wisks one into the main area of Pest should one not want to walk and is near the base of one of the funiculars as well as almost right off a stop on all the hop on hop off buses.

The breakfast has a good selection of items and varied slightly each day. We saw a lot more business looking travelers, couples, and a few families with older teens. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was probably the only drawback. The shower stall for whatever reason leaked and it was probably the smallest bathroom I've ever had while in Europe. To be fair, we didn't request assistance in getting the leak fixed so I don't know how their staff would have handled it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kellious

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

The Carlton Hotel Budapest has some truly great points: location, easy access to great public transportation and a wonderful belgian beer hall/ restaurant right next door. However, as a professional establishment they do fall short in terms of helpfulness, professionalism and cleanliness. I was in Budapest to see the city and did not spend much time in my room, but many corners were obviously cut in cleaning the room not only during my stay but even before I got there. There was hair from former guests in all the bathroom corners, the night stand drawers had trash in them and the top shelves of the closet unit were dusty and grimy. The desk help would answer questions but did so in a begrudgingly annoyed manner. They did not appear to want to help you or even want to be there. The wifi and computer access was excellent however and the morning breakfast was tolerable. As a whole though, I would recommend skipping a stay here and instead staying on the Pest side of the river.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

The location of the hotel is very good, right next to the River, near the Castle. Also, next door is a fantastic Belgian bar which serves great beer and food.

The hotel was clean, and does a decent standard breakfast buffet (although some of the yoghurts were out of date). For this reason I would say it is good value.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

Negatives? The toilet paper was very cheap and poor quality. Also, the WIFI signal in the rooms was poor, but in reception was good.

I would use the hotel again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Kenmare, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

The position of the hotel is just great for sightseeing, the Castle area is straight up from the hotel and everything is within walking distance. Breakfast was well thought out and a very good variety of food. The public transport was good and the staff were helpful. Very prompt Taxi Service to the airport. The room catered for all my needs. Free wifi. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Monica G
Belfast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

Unfortunately I enjoyed a rather poor stay at the hotel.
I stayed with a group of professional individuals who's roles range from solicitor to company director to accountant. The average age of our party was 32.
We stayed for 3 nights (Fri, Sat & Sun).

Let me begin with the positives:
Free Wifi is superb and the 3 pc's on the ground floor are also very good.
Breakfast was ok.
However the negatives heavily outweigh the positives.
Rooms are small and have a grubby feel. The bathroom toiletries are extremely cheap and not what one expects of a 4 star hotel.
My main issue with the hotel is the lack of service and hospitality displayed by staff.
I felt we were treated like 2nd class citizens throughout our stay which was compounded with the checking out process.
For the record the group were always polite and courteous throughout the visit yet for some reason we felt that the staff looked upon us with distain.
The group almost immediately noticed the staff reaction to us however we all decided to keep our dignity and counsel by respecting the staff as we were visitors to their hotel and to their country.
However upon checking out the hotel decided to charge us for an additional 2 nights for a room that we cancelled.
It was agreed on our arrival that we would pay 1 x night room charge for the cancelled room.
When we were checking out the most rude man I have ever met within the hotel and hospitality industry decided he would go back on the agreement and he decided to charge us for 3 nights and not 1 night for the cancelled room. I take approximately 100 flights per year and check into hotels at least 50 times per year, therefore I am in a good positon to judge hotel staff.
After a fairly calm and gentlemanly exchange the hotel relented and apologised for their error.
We readily accepted the apology and despite feeling a little embarrassed as this exchange took place in the hotel reception area, we decided to leave our luggage with the hotel as we went to get some lunch nearby.
We then returned to the hotel to collect our luggage when another man (I think the manager) confronted me and told me that we had to pay in full for the cancelled stay (3 nights in total).
His colleague who earlier had admitted his mistake stood smuggly beside him.
I then explained that the hotel had already admitted their mistake and the matter was resolved.
The manager was very rude and made some very damming accusations that were certainly deflamatory and grossly inaccurate.
At this point I beleive the hotel were simply looking to rip us off - it's an awful thing to write but this is how we all felt about the hotel who were unwilling to illustrate any evidence of us agreeing to pay for a cancelled room nor did they wish to supply any evidence of a standard cancellation policy.
Please avoid this hotel at all costs. The staff are extremely rude and very unpleasant.
I would avoid Budapest at all costs.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that end in 01,02, 03 as they are located at the lift and are very very noisy.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank Jolly79
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

I wouldn't call it a 4 star, it's 3 star. The cleaners could be a little more thorough but other than that not much to have an issue with. Concierge generally very helpful. Whilst the location is a quiet one, our room was actually rather noisy, so take earplugs. Breakfast is a plentiful continental buffet. Free wifi was very useful for planning what to see. It's 1 min walk from the Buda side of chain bridge, so very handy location, however, if you want night life, you're better off staying in Pest.

Room Tip: The first floor is a smoking floor. If you don't want to be here, you must specify non smoking...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Tiny rooms are in poor condition and dusty. Windows aren't properly isolated, hence street noise can be heard loud and clear. Pillows are more like small blankets. There are problems with electric connections (e.g. using bed side lamp switch makes shower room heater turn on). Poor breakfast: lots of ham and sausage, only few fruit, hard bread, awful coffee. Four star hotels don't have rooms beside lifts! Rooms ending with room number 1 (201, 301 etc). are just beside two very loud lifts. No sleep without earplugs in these rooms. There are seven rooms in so called "Garden Floor" (= basement). They are directly under the breakfast room, which means that steps and sounds of dragging the chairs around can be inconveniently heard beneath.

I wonder how come this hotel can ever claim four stars. I would give it two plus. Pictures of the hotel are very misleading. There are no pics of standard rooms, only suites. The location is good. And there is wifi. Air conditioning seemed to work ok.

Room Tip: Avoid room numbers 201, 301, 401, 501, 601! And 713-> Try to get room from upper floors and court...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple