Carlton Hotel Budapest
Hilton Budapest(Budapest)
  • Pool
  • Pool
1,445 results
All reviewschain bridgebuda sidepater marcusbuda castlebelgian restaurantgarden roomgreat locationfunicular railwaybar oppositethe riverfisherman's bastionwalking distancefamous chainhotel is locatedacross the bridgetriple roomreception staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 April 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The hotel has an excellent location, and is just across the Chain Bridge, thereby having proximity to all major attractions. The staff at the reception was very friendly and helpful, and gave us good advice regarding taking the sightseeing tour. The room and facilities met our expectations. A money changing shop is very close to the hotel. The hotel is also within walking distance of many restaurants.
The breakfast is typically European. However, eggs are precooked and hence ordering is not possible. The wifi bandwidth too was a bit low. There is no supermarket nearby.
The hotel offers excellent value for money, and we will stay here again if we were to re-visit Budapest.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sunil021966
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I stayed at the Carlton in January this year. I absolutely loved the friendly staff members and the location was ideal. It's two minutes from the Danube and from the exquisite view of the many historic buildings on the waters edge. I found the Carlton to be great value for money. The room was clean (nothing very fancy of course) but very standard and perfect for those on a budget. The breakfast which was included was really great too and it was a buffet. The Carlton arranged to pick me up from the airport and return me at the end of the weekend. I had a wonderful trip and the Carlton sure contributed to my experience of Budapest.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank ElizabethJoss
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Well located with the Chain Bridge no more than 5 minutes walk way as was the funicular up to the Old Buda area. The Carlton is functional. The bedroom was comfortable but very ordinary; breakfast adequate. My stay included Saturday when it was very busy. The staff were very helpful especially the Concierge. I can recommend the hotel because of the location and price.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank SeniorWorldTraveller
Reviewed 27 March 2013

When our taxi driver dropped us off at our hotel, it had obviously snowed the day before and there was snow and ice on the cobblestone street (more like an alley) that takes you to the entrance. I was surprised that there was very little clean up. Upon arrival, our concierge was nice enough and checked us in right away. Our hotel room was clean but really old with a fairly new headboard. It was a small dingy room that looked kinda like a basement bedroom. The carpet was extremely old and discolored. Because of the looks of the room, when we first got there I conducted a bedbug test before we even sat on the bed. (Blowing a blowdryer on the bed will often reveal bedbugs because they are attracted to the heat, this was a trick given to me who works at a hotel). Luckily there were no bed bugs. The hotel is locate on the Buda side of the bridge and is one short block away from the scenic river. So at night, you're only a block away from a really beautiful view and its only 3 short blocks away from the chain bridge. It is also very close to the Tram that goes up the mountain that takes you up to castle hill and fisherman's bastion area. So location wise, there are some pluses to this hotel. Breakfast was decent. There was enough of a variety for you to have fill up for the morning. However, we kept going over to the Pest side of the bridge because that area seemed more livelier and there were more eclectic restaurants, lounges etc. in the Jewish District which were on the Pest side.
Traveler's Tip: There is a Currency Change place around the corner and about a block away from the hotel. If you have money already do not change any additional money they charged a fee and the woman behind the counter was horrible to us. I have never been treated so mean for no reason in my life. When we complained at our hotel about the lady at the currency place, the gentleman described the lady and said he's gotten many complaints about her from guests. Additionally on the pest side, particularly on Vaci street, the rates were much better and there were places that charged no commission. So avoid the experience and get more money on the other side of the bridge.
Traveler's tip: Right down the stairs from the Carlton is a hotel that you have to walk down the stairs to get into (forgot the name). The food was fresh and good (we ate there two nights), prices were pretty decent and if you don't want to walk to far (temperatures were below zero one night, its a good close place to eat). PS: They have good Wii Fii here.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank lbloveslife
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Hotel location ,top marks, a skip and jump away from chain bridge. Room very dated, bedding could have been better but bed very big and comfy , pillows terrible. The dining room is lovely , but when busy , staff didn't fill the crockery up. The toilets in the hotel area were unclean. Apart from that a good value for money stay , will visit again just for the location and the lovely bar round the corner called the lanchid

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family