“Don't sleep near the lifts.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carlton Hotel Budapest

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Carlton Hotel Budapest
Ranked #82 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
“Don't sleep near the lifts.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Great staff and helpful. Close to restaurants and sights. However, if you stay in a room next to the elevators, be prepared to hear them go up and down all night. My husband went down stairs and changed our room from the top floor to the bottom floor at the opposite end of the hotel (it was the only room left not near the lifts). Great room in both, spacious and breakfast was good.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank The_tuckerz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Frome, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel pretty much irritated me from start to finish. Although in a convenient location, access to the hotel is on a steep cobbled slope and trying to wheel your suitcase down to the front doors is bordering on dangerous and there is no concierge to help you. I checked in about 8.30pm and hadn't had time to get dinner so I was hoping for room service, but in this so called hotel there is no such thing! It doesn't even have an evening restaurant so to find food I had to walk out of the hotel in the pouring rain to a restaurant down the road, not impressed! My room was a disappointment too. Decor was tired and old fashioned. Two single beds pushed together, no coffee cups just paper, I've stayed in a lot of hotels and never witnessed paper cups!! In the bathroom the shower was just tall enough for me and I'm less than 5.5ft so I dread to think how other guests got on with that. I noticed that the complimentary body lotion on had already been opened and half used by the previous guest, now I just consider that disgusting. There is only one mirror in the room and of course no plug sockets next to it. The windows let in too much noise although I did like the electronic blind. One good, important thing about this hotel which saves itself from getting one start from me is the walls between rooms are thick so I did not get disturbed and had a very good nights sleep. Wifi is free but the inadequate guest directory does not mention this and I had to ring reception for the password. After all this disappointment I didn't hold out much for a good breakfast and I was right. There were only two hot options: scrambled egg and chopped up frankfurters, the rest of what was on offer was pretty basic and boring. They also do not seem to understand the concept of black tea here. I asked where it was and they pointed to the earl grey which last time I looked is not black breakfast tea. This was the nail in the head for me and I couldn't wait to check out! This hotel was booked on my behalf and never would I choose to stay here of my own choice.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank sparkles700
Pontefract, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

There are 3 good points relating to this hotel

1 Its position it is only minutes from Chain Bridge and the hop on off bus stop with a first class
restaurant down the steps from the hotel.It also has great access to the castle on foot

2 The hotel had an offer on so we got hop on off tickets plus a free 1hr Danube cruise

3 Free internet access and use of hotels computers

The following were not good

1 We had a 10.30 pm arrival and had requested a quiet room.On checking in a rather abrupt
male receptionist said they were all quiet rooms.On entering our room we found that it overlooked an alleyway with 2 restaurants and customers drinking outside.We visited one of
these for a drink and retired for the night at about 12 midnight.At around 2am we were woken
by the guests above us shouting and banging on the walls.After around 10 minutes of this disturbance I went down to complain.Another receptionist said he would go and speak with them
However the noise continued and I went again to reception and asked for a change of room
on the opposite side of the corridor we got one and this was a quiet location as the other had
traffic noise as well as the inconsiderate guests.It was now 3.30am
At 6.15am we were woken by a loud extractor fan above the shower which had started for no apparent reason we had little more sleep and went down to breakfast at 8am and reported what we thought was a fault.Another receptionist made note and said they would fix it.
On retiring to bed on the second night the fan again came on at 6.15am.It was again reported
and the receptionist said they would switch it off so there would be no repeat performance.
However we learnt that each floor has the extractor fans programmed to come on at a certain time and our floor was 6.15am. HOW CRAZY IS THAT.Another young guy on reception arranged for it to come on next morning at 8.15am which it did. Our last day
THERE WAS NO APOLOGIES FROM THE STAFF WHO NEVER SMILE AND CLEARLY HAVE NO PR SKILLS.I WAS FRIENDLY AND SMILED THROUGHOUT

2 Breakfast is cereals,yogurts,bread etc buffet style and you help yourself to coffee and tea
it was okay but the tables are too close.I dont expect this standard it was like a Mcdonalds

3 The rooms are okay a little small but the beds are rock hard

The management need to get a grip here I have traveled a lot through out the world from
backpacker establishments through to 5 star and this hotels reception staff are some of the worst I have ever encountered .I ran the marathon here and I required a little more sleep than I got.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank John1000580423
Prescot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I have been visiting this hotel since 2000 in addition using it to accommodate visiting colleagues over a period of years. Hotel is in a relatively quiet location, rooms are not particularly large but well furnished and comfortable so if you are looking for 5star luxury try elsewhere. The Hotel underwent full refurbishment in 2010. Rooms fitted with bath/shower, fill toilet facilities, tv, mini bar, safe,wi-if facilities etc. breakfast provided each morning can be a bit monotonous if staying three days or more but with a little thought you can vary it each day. Plenty of variety and quantity unlimited.
A short walk will take you to the Lanchid and ten minute stroll brings you into the main tourist area. Whilst the hotel does not serve evening meals you have three good restaurants in easy. Walking distance each of which provides good value for money.
Marcus Abbey is at the foot of the steps outside the hotel, walk up Hunyadi Janos utca and you will see the Gong restaurant on your right run by a former Hungarian boxing champion Bokonyi Nandor. The third restaurant is the Belgian brasserie on Bem Rakpart which has a view overlooking the parliament building if you decide to sit outside. Good selection of dishes and beers/wines at competitive prices at each venue. There one or two other bars/cafés nearby as well.
Carlton is well situated for visiting the Castle District, Vaci utca, and local transport to other areas so try it.
In all the years I have stayed at the Carlton I have found staff to be very helpful so the comments re rudeness are rather surprising. Thanks to everyone from my wife and me
Rob Wright

Room Tip: None of the rooms have a 'view' as such as the hotel is located in a side street. Lift shaft...
3 Thank Robert W
stoke-on-trent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Location is great for the Castle District and other landmarks on the Buda side of the Danube. Our room 715 was on the so called [Garden Terrace] floor, but was very dark even in daytime ! Beds were very comfy and bathroom very clean with great shower. Free safe is a plus in the wardrobe. On the negative side, tea and coffee making in the room, not good as only paper cups and milk on the 1st day was provided. If u love a proper cuper, take your own tea bags ! as only Earl Grey is available. Breakfasts were very good but not enough hot selection, only sausage and scambled egg every day. Still, enough to top you up before a days walk around the city. Reception was very good with the staff very helpful and pleasant. Don,t forget to visit the restaurant at the bottom of the hotel steps where you will find excellent food ,service and drinks.

Room Tip: Do not choose a so called Garden Terrace room
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Well located on the Buda side of the river (however you would be better staying on the other side in Pest) just below the Castle and close to the Chain Bridge (very pretty especially at night when it is floodlit). The hotel is clean and comfortable and the staff are all friendly and helpful especially the reception staff. My wife and stayed for five nights with two other couples and had a twin room on the first floor it was a reasonable size and was clean, the bathroom was adequate except the shower was very low on the wall and lacked power. The pillows were very soft and we had to request additional ones. The room was looking tired and like the rest of the hotel needs a complete refurb in the near future. Breakfast was good except that the hot selection of scrambled egg and frankfurter sausages got a bit monotonous after five days!! The hotel does not offer any meals apart from breakfast but there is a very good value restaurant (Pater Marcus)at the bottom of the steps. The hotel is located on a slope with steep steps leading to it. All in all a good value hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

The hotel is conveniently located at the foot of the hill of Buda, 3minutes the Chain Bridge. The rooms are adequate and clean, but the bed duvet and pillow deserves to be changed (strong smell), breakfast was plentiful and good, the reception staff is uneven. There are lots of nice little restaurants around the hotel, less touristy than the other side of the Danube. It is recommended to ask for a room with number superior to “x08” (208, 308 etc ...) to be on the garden side.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple