“Cheap and (reasonably) cheerful”
Review of Caterina Hostel

Caterina Hostel
Ranked #247 of 673 Speciality Lodging in Budapest
Reviewed 24 March 2014

At less than 15€ per night, including breakfast, I can't find much fault with Caterina Hostel. It is a very small hostel, ideally placed just off the main retail street in Budapest, and within easy walking distance of both Keleti and Nyugati train stations.

The main receptionist was incredibly friendly, and was able to provide helpful tips on places to visit, and the best restaurants in which to eat. There are two showers (and a bath), and two toilets available.

The room we stayed in (4 person dorm) was spacious, although there was only one small wardrobe available. The bedsheets and duvets seemed quite old and a bit worn out, and were also too small to completely cover me whilst sleeping (I'm roughly 180cm) but were clean, and the room was well heated so not being completely covered was not a massive issue.

The hostel is accessible 24 hours with your key, and there is also a member of staff available round the clock. As other reviewers have mentioned, the included breakfast is rather spartan (bread, spread-cheese, 2 jams, tea, coffee and grapefruit juice), but as I mentioned, for the price this is understandable. Caterina served its purpose for a short stay in Budapest, and I would book again if I were to return to the city.

Room Tip: Breakfast only included with shared rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We were a group of 12 friends and we stayed there 3 nights.The service was so good.The guys treated us very good,we didn't have problems at all,despite we were making some noise at night.The hostel is very well located.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed in apartment, which is on different (but better) address - at Liszt Ferenc square, about 300 m far from hostel. Everything is in walking distance, you don't have to buy any tickets. Disadvantage is a noise from square.
Roomy bedroom, decent bathroom and supersmall kitchen - it wasn't an issue, since we were doing just tea, but we expected something better. Just don't believe their pictures on Hostels.com and you will be satisfied:-)

The staff was also really friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I chose this hostel in my trip to Budapest and it was better than I expected it to be. Considering the price it's worth it.
The room I was given was quite good. I shared the living room and the bathroom with another room with more people, but it was not a problem.
The location was quite far from the city center, but if you don't want to pay much money it could be a good choice.

The biggest problem for me is that to get into the room I had to go 4 floors upstairs. Taking an elevator into consideration could improve it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Paid about 12/USD for 1 night in a private two bedroom room with my friend. My sheets had blood stains, and the bottom of the mattress had a brown spot that looked like It might be mold. The shower curtain was covered in the same brownish/black mold like substance as the bed. Felt gross in the shower. With that being said, the lady that worked there was super nice, helping us with a shuttle for the airport for 10 euro and suggesting free tours/restaurants/bars. Breakfast is nothing to get too excited about, just bread and jam.

You get what you paid for. Wouldn't stay again due to cleanliness.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Such a friendly welcome and provided with loads of great tips from the lady who runs this place. AMAZING recommedation for restaurants - especially near the large bath house.

The facilities are huge and you just cant tell from the street quite how great this place is! Theres a great communal area to eat/cook/drink and there is copious amounts of toilets and shower rooms.

Breakfast however is litterally toast and butter, but you get what you pay for and I was happy with this.

BEST BUDGET PLACE I STAYED ALL ROUND EUROPE - so cheap and so worth it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoannaG1
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 days with 4 friends. This is a very central hostel, every place in Budapest can be easily reached by foot, even if sometimes the metro is better. The hostel is not very clean, except the bathrooms... There's a small kitchen available for free. The rooms are big, there's a breakfast service, and the owner is kind and helpful...BO we love you! For the services it offers this is a really cheap hostel, we suggest it!

• Stayed: August 2013