“my stay :)”
Review of Caterina Hostel

Caterina Hostel
Ranked #264 of 682 Speciality Lodging in Budapest
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I spent 5 nights in this hostel. at the begining I was surprised, because it s a bit old building and it s really not luxury ( a bit old beds or sheets-but CLEAN), but it has particular atmosphere, very very kind stuff speaking fluent english and good italian. U can meet people from all over the world there! it s located in the center with supermarket cca 5m from the building, u can reach almost any of main landmarks in 20min just walking (at least I can)it s calm(I mean other guests were nice) and cosy. u can cook some basic stuff, there s fridge and microvawe oven, also the price is very reasonable. I would like to come back one day, because I enjoyed my stay!

Room Tip: I wouldn t choose the room with shared bathroom
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The hostel is located on the top floor of the building, the staff is friendly and the hostel itself clean.
I stayed in a 3 bed female dorm by myself, so only one bed was made (the pictures show the unmade beds). one of them looked terrible, the other one wasn't a bed but a couch which i was happy i didn't have to sleep in. the foam mattresses looked really old and where only covered with a thin sheet. the atmosphere of the hostel was not inviting at all. i was supposed to stay two night but only stayed one and changed to another hostel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Lovely location !! very warm service ...
Chilled out people .. a must stay if you need value for your buck.

The care taker and the owner are really good people ... ask for whatever you need and they ll guide you the right way.

Oktagon square thats where the hostel is .. is the party hub and go on any day .. Budapest never sleeps

Room Tip: all are good .. go as per your budget
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2014

At less than 15€ per night, including breakfast, I can't find much fault with Caterina Hostel. It is a very small hostel, ideally placed just off the main retail street in Budapest, and within easy walking distance of both Keleti and Nyugati train stations.

The main receptionist was incredibly friendly, and was able to provide helpful tips on places to visit, and the best restaurants in which to eat. There are two showers (and a bath), and two toilets available.

The room we stayed in (4 person dorm) was spacious, although there was only one small wardrobe available. The bedsheets and duvets seemed quite old and a bit worn out, and were also too small to completely cover me whilst sleeping (I'm roughly 180cm) but were clean, and the room was well heated so not being completely covered was not a massive issue.

The hostel is accessible 24 hours with your key, and there is also a member of staff available round the clock. As other reviewers have mentioned, the included breakfast is rather spartan (bread, spread-cheese, 2 jams, tea, coffee and grapefruit juice), but as I mentioned, for the price this is understandable. Caterina served its purpose for a short stay in Budapest, and I would book again if I were to return to the city.

Room Tip: Breakfast only included with shared rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We were a group of 12 friends and we stayed there 3 nights.The service was so good.The guys treated us very good,we didn't have problems at all,despite we were making some noise at night.The hostel is very well located.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed in apartment, which is on different (but better) address - at Liszt Ferenc square, about 300 m far from hostel. Everything is in walking distance, you don't have to buy any tickets. Disadvantage is a noise from square.
Roomy bedroom, decent bathroom and supersmall kitchen - it wasn't an issue, since we were doing just tea, but we expected something better. Just don't believe their pictures on Hostels.com and you will be satisfied:-)

The staff was also really friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I chose this hostel in my trip to Budapest and it was better than I expected it to be. Considering the price it's worth it.
The room I was given was quite good. I shared the living room and the bathroom with another room with more people, but it was not a problem.
The location was quite far from the city center, but if you don't want to pay much money it could be a good choice.

The biggest problem for me is that to get into the room I had to go 4 floors upstairs. Taking an elevator into consideration could improve it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple