Have been at Danubius for a "dental holiday" at the clinic that is inside the hotel so I chose Danubius for a matter of proximity.
It is not my first time either.
Unless you want to take advantage of one of the clinics or the spa of the hotel or you just want to spend some quiet days on this lovely island you should choose other hotels in Budapest that offer higher standards at similar prices and are in a better position to explore the city and above all for dining options.
€15 euro for a breakfast of this standard is simply a steal and I've never found on any website a package inclusive of it.
I feel the hotel takes advantage of the fact that it is in the middle of nowhere so it's not like you can walk out to have breakfast elsewhere unless you're willing to wait 20/30 minutes.
My trick is ordering the breakfast in the room for one person and for €15 two people can eat plenty.
The room is spacious and comfortable my only complaint would be the bathroom where the shower foldable glass will not even stay open and above all does not seal the tub so the water goes everywhere and also the hook of the shower is set in a way that you cannot leave it while you shower yourself or the water will go over the glass and everywhere so you have to close the water or hold it in your hand - weird.
My second major complaint which I have never experienced in my life - and I visit maybe 30 hotels a year for work and pleasure - in 4 nights of staying the sheets were changed... NEVER.
Going to downtown is no drama, there is a bus outside the hotel that takes you to the metro and in 5 stops you are there.
Slightly over €1 for the bus and again slightly over €1 for the metro because you must use individual tickets (beware of frequent checks and €50 fines if you don't have the ticket)
So you have to consider than in a day you will at least spend an additional €5 each for transportation from/to the island.
Or as I do, go by bus and metro one way and walk 5km back to the island which helps keep the weight from the great Hungarian food and gerbaud sweets off.
It is a rather coldly managed hotel lacking individual service (my mother has been here 7 times and no one's ever welcomed her back for example) and its catering to senior guests who are up at 6am doing the spa and off to bed at 9 - in fact at 9 the bar downstairs and the restaurant are pretty dead if not closed already.
Bottom line: you wanna visit Budapest? Stay elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whether you live in Budapest or have come from further afield, you are sure to fall in love with the atmosphere of this quiet island in the centre of the vibrant capital. It’s no coincidence that the Margaret Island wellness hotel, with its thermal water springs, has been the choice of generations! The hotel caters to visitors seeking medical treatments or wellness pampering, as well as those looking for a venue for their business event or wedding. Outside the hotel, guests can take part in various sporting activities (from running and rowing to tennis and cycling), while the footpaths connecting the historical sites of Margaret Island are perfect for a stroll. You may not want to return to everyday life after a visit to the island of peace! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, LateRooms, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Danubius Health Spa Resort Margitsziget reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Danubius Health Spa Resort Margitsziget Hotel Budapest
- Danubius Health Hotel Margitsziget
- Danubius Health Budapest