“Very nice hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 340 Hotels in Budapest
Maryland
“Very nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights the first week of June. Overall it was a pleasant stay, but there were a few unexpected glitches. Arrived early, before noon, and were able to check in. However, it took quite a while for the desk clerk to get the computer to function properly. At first she blamed it on the fact that my credit card in my Hilton profile had expired (even though I updated it before leaving the US), but this explanation didn't work for the other two people I was travelling with...She had a kind of edgy attitude, that didn't leave us with a good first impression.
However, the rooms were very nice. Really large, and we had the river view, which was incredible. Nice toiletries, good size bathroom with a large tub, tea and coffee available in your room.
We were so busy, that we didn't really explore the hotel to see the historic remains, but the grounds and common areas were well kept, if a little gloomy.
The breakfast selection was very nice. Excellent pastries and fruit, a selection of breakfast meats, and eggs made to order. HOWEVER, our first morning, it seemed that it was really too much trouble for them to take our omelet order. When I asked the waitress if we could order, she said yes, but didn't take the order, and walked away. So we called the hostess over, and I asked her the same question. She answered yes, also, but in a very rude tone of voice. So I asked again, do we order with you, and the same irritated answer. She seemed incredulous that I would want 5 items in my omelet; I'm not exaggerating about her tone or her smug facial expression. When she came back and saw that I was taking notes, her attitude changed dramatically; she actually put on a smile and seemed human. Anyway, the omelets were really good. The unhelpful attitudes were exasperating, especially considering how much we were paying to stay there.
The next day, a large group had arrived, so we weren't able to sit in the main dining room. This was a plus, however, because the two young ladies who waited on us that day were extremely pleasant and professional. The last day, since we had an early flight, they made us very large breakfast to-go bags, which I snacked on most of the day.
Another wierd experience was that people came into my cousins' room on more than one occasion, for no apparent reason. Each time they apologized, and then left. They said it was unnerving.
I would like to add that all the concierges at this hotel were helpful and pleasant. There are lots of restaurants nearby; the guidebook says they're more expensive in this area, but we didn't find that to be true. The winery accross the street has yummy tastings, and we learned a lot, too. The castle is immediatly next to the hotel, so it is a great location--just remember that the museums are closed on Mondays. We were able to go to the Spy Museum on Monday, and that is fun and informative.

Room Tip: Pay the difference and get the river view. It's like a beautiful painting; even more spectacula...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and your constructive review.

It is clear from what you have wrote that your stay was not from every respect to the usual high standard of the Hilton Budapest, and I must apologize for the experience you have described here. I will certainly be following up with the appropriate members of the management team in order to investigate your comments further.

In order to assist in this process, if I may ask you to please contact me at zoltan.arvai@@hilton.com, and from your name I will be able to find the stay, the room, and the date, and make the appropriate improvements, in addition to responding to you privately.

Thank you very much for your feedback, and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Zoltán Árvai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,014)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Ashbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

I have stayed at the Budapest Hilton a couple of times and I can vouch for it. The room we last had had a spectacular view of the Danube and the Parliament building. We had a couple of meals in the restaurant, both wonderfully presented. I have no hesitation recommending this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river/Buda
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and review.

I have shared your inspiring feedback with our team, thank you very much once again for staying with us and sharing your positive comments with Tripadvisor Community.
When you are planning a return, please do reach out to us at reservations.budapest@hilton.com with any enquiries, we will be happy to assist you.

Napoli
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

I was in this hotel during a conference, so I expected the standard Conference site, nice but "anonymous", standardized, and in the surrounding of the city. Hilton Budapest instead is in the castle district, the oldet and most fashionbable part of Budapest. Actually, the Hotel is surrounded by castle structure, so the view is really breathtaking.
As concerning the hotel, it is aligned with Hilton standards. Only, it is a shame that wi-fi connection in the rooms is not free.

Room Tip: Ask for a view on the castle, and look for special offers on their website
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am so pleased that you have enjoyed your stay, and that our location and services combined for a great visit. You have also mentioned wi - fi. You are certainly right, at the moment wi - fi is provided as a complimentary service only in our Executive Guest Rooms and in all public areas of the hotel meeting the latest Hilton Brand standard.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel,

london, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

We booked a package that included flight and accomodation at the Hilton Budapest, I couldn't fault the accomodation in any way, the service was excellent and reception staff extremely helpful, recommending sites to visit and transport.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Ladies,

Thank you for your recent stay at Hilton Budapest and taking the time to share your positive comments with Tripadvisor Community.

I was absolutely delighted to read that you had an excellent stay at our hotel. I am pleased that our splendid location and our services made you feel welcome. I am pleased that we succeeded in making your Budapest city break really memorable.

Once again, thank you so much for your feedback, which I have shared with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Budapest!

Plymouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed here two nights prior to our river cruise. The hotel room was clean and roomy. The morning breakfast we good. The best thing about our room was the view, looking over the river, hard to beat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the river, other views may not be too good.
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and review.
I am glad to know that the beautiful view from your room impressed you and made your holiday memorable.
We look forward to welcoming you back again to our hotel.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

Although not in the party centre of Pest it was a fabulous hotel. The location could not be faulted and the views were to die for. Make sure you get a Danube view room its worth it!
I was lucky to stay in an executive room and I must commend the staff who were exemplary. Especially Tibor who made us feel like part of the family and not just a hotel guest.
On the Sunday we were lucky to see a wedding take place at the castle from our room.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a Danube view room its worth it!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I was absolutely delighted to read that you had an excellent stay at our hotel. I am pleased that our splendid location and our services made you feel welcome. Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback regarding the dedicated team and the offer of our Executive Lounge. I am pleased that we succeeded in making your Budapest city break really memorable.

Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

The hotel has a wonderful location, remember to ask for rooms at the Fishermen's Bastion and the river. The hotel is starting and getting some of the older type. Good food and good service.
When it comes to the bar was a big letdown, go straight across the road to the winery.

Room Tip: Ask for room to the river
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your recent stay and your review.
while I am pleased that our beautiful location and our services were to your liking, I regret to read that our Lobby Café&Bar was not that much for any reasons. I have raised your comments with the Food & Beverage Director and together we are looking at various initiatives to ensure that the selection of the bar, the high standard to service both meet the requirements of the Hilton Brand standard at affordable prices. Visiting Hilton Budapest's Faust Wine Cellar, which is located in the former wine cellar of Dominican monks of medieval times is a top tourist attraction in Budapest.

Should you plan a return visit, please reach out to our team at reservations.budapest@hilton.com, we will be happy to assist you with any enquiries.