“Wonderful Hotel”
Review of Hilton Budapest

Hilton Budapest
Ranked #14 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel - it was a joy from every aspect. The location, overlooking the Danube, is absolutely stunning and the hotel is within walking distance of the best tourist spots in the city. The staff, who spoke excellent English, were extremely friendly and helpful. The food, both in the main ICON restaurant and the Lobby, was first class. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel which probably deserves 6 stars, not 5!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Danube - the extra cost is well worth it
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank spitthedog
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear Guest,

I am so pleased to hear that you have had such a nice stay with us. I am very happy that you liked our location and your have been able to experience the level of service and care that we pride ourselves on providing to our guests.

Going forward, when you plan a return visit to us at the Hilton Budapest, please do contact us either at reservations.budapest@hilton.com, or you can reach me directly at zoltan.arvai@hilton.com.

Thank you very much once again, and I look forward to having you with us again in the future.

Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Good hotel location. Good breakfast. Nice fruit selection. Ask for the fried eggs. Worth upgrading for a river view for 30€. Large rooms. Nice bedding. Very confirtable pillows. Amazing view to the river. Friendly staff. Free wi fi for three devises.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Antonia131

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay.
It seem that you had a very pleasant time at our hotel. We are pleased that our location and the services were so much to your satisfaction.
If you plan to return, please contact our reservations department directly at reservations.budapest@hilton.com, our team will be more than happy to assist you.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

The initial and readily apparent benefit to this hotel is its location. The view from the top of Castle Hill is superb. The castle itself is within ready walking distance and there is a decent selection of restaurants in the area. The only downside to the location involves getting to Pest. Two decent options are to take the number 16 bus or to buy a pass on one of the on/off tour busses. Both have stops close to the hotel. The tour bus provides the opportunity to visit some of high points in Budapest on your own schedule.

As a Hilton Diamond member, we were upgraded to an executive level suite. The room had two levels, with a bed on the upper level and a sitting room and small kitchen below. The sofa converted to a bed, which was useful for our son, who was on the trip. Access to the executive lounge was also a nice perk as it had cold drinks available throughout the day.

Hotel service was also excellent. The concierge was very helpful in addressing all of our questions and arranging transport via hotel taxi to the train station upon departure. The hotel seems to get a steady flow of tour groups, which can make the lobby area quite hectic at times, but the staff seems to be able to keep people moving through efficiently.

We rarely eat at hotel restaurants for dinner but decided to do so our final evening. We were surprised to find the restaurant nearly empty. Perhaps this was because it was Sunday evening or perhaps everyone else preferred some of the local establishments. We were impressed with both the quality of the food and the service. My only surprise was the inclusion of both a 10% service charge on the bill and a mention from the waiter that a tip was not included. This was my first encounter with the two being treated separately.

I have no hesitation recommending this hotel to anyone visiting Budapest.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HighfieldPA
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am so pleased to read that you, our most valued Hilton Diamond Member guest, you have had an excellent stay here with us. It sounds like you have had a great vacation from start to finish, and I am very happy that we got to be a part of this. I am grateful that you recommended us to other readers of the Tripadvisor Community.

The next time you plan a visit to London, please do contact us at reservations.budapest@hilton.com and we will be more than happy to assist you in any way.

Thank you very much once again, and I hope that we get to see you again soon.

Zoltan Arvai

Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed two nights and were impressed from the moment we arrived at the entrance. Welcoming, friendly and helpful staff throughout. Good sized room. Great location for the castle district although not so good for the city. Great views. Good breakfast. Only real downside for a hotel of this quality is that there is no pool. Overall highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Julianfin
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Hilton Budapest and taking the time to share your positive comments.

I was absolutely delighted to read that you had an excellent stay at our hotel. I am pleased that our splendid location and our services made you feel welcome. Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback regarding the dedicated team and the offer of our Executive Lounge. I
You are certainly right that we do not have a pool of our own. However, Budapest's world famous thermal spas for e.g. Gellért thermal bath and pool is just 5 minutes drive away from our hotel. The Concierge is glad to assist with door to door transfer or with any further enquiries in this regard.

Once again, thank you so much for your feedback, which I have shared with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Budapest!

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Hilton would not normally be on my list of hotels of choice, but this was booked for us with no options, and I certainly have no complaints. The view from our room across Fisherman's Wharf and the Danube to the Hungarian Parliament was spectacular, I can think of few hotels that could match it. At night when Budapest is illuminated the view becomes magical and I can't imagine the TV gets much use when you have a view like that from your bed.

There is more to the hotel than the view. The room was spacious and comfortable, although the bathroom was a bit disappointing. A shower over the bath and a mirror that steamed up as soon as the hot tap was opened; I would have expected better at these prices.

The breakfast was good with plenty of choice, but the hot food is on a buffet and not cooked to order. We didn't use the restaurant in the evening because there are some excellent restaurants nearby.

Beware the prices for tours offered by the hotel. It is much cheaper to arrange it yourself and getting around is easy, you really don't need to be transported door to door.

I was also irritated by the placing of a bottle of mineral water on a tray beside the complimentary tea and coffee. We assumed this was also complimentary, but having opened it we then noticed a small price label that told us it was possibly the most expensive water we found in Hungary!

I would recommend this hotel and it is worth the extra for a room with a view, but it is a Hilton with it's corporate clientele. On one day there was a massive group of people arriving for a computer industry function, which meant that the public areas became unpleasantly crowded and the coffee shop was a no-go area. It was still worth it for that view.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and your constructive review.
While I am pleased that our location and views were so much to your liking, I have forwarded your feedback regarding the maintainance of the air-conditioning of your bathroom to our Technical Department Head for further action.
Regarding your comments on the breakfast, please let me assure you that we do serve "cooked on order" hot food to our guests upon request.
I certainly agree with you that professional guided tours offered by the Concierge of any hotel in the world are generally not provided as a complimentary service. Nevertheless, both solutions can be excellent ways to discover the culture and history of the city.
That being said, you are correct in saying that the hotel was a bit crowded during your stay due to a huge conference taking place at that time. I do apologize for any negative impact that this had on your stay.

Thank you very much once again, for staying with us and when you are planning a return, please do reach out to us at reservations.budapest@hilton.com with any enquiries

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights the first week of June. Overall it was a pleasant stay, but there were a few unexpected glitches. Arrived early, before noon, and were able to check in. However, it took quite a while for the desk clerk to get the computer to function properly. At first she blamed it on the fact that my credit card in my Hilton profile had expired (even though I updated it before leaving the US), but this explanation didn't work for the other two people I was travelling with...She had a kind of edgy attitude, that didn't leave us with a good first impression.
However, the rooms were very nice. Really large, and we had the river view, which was incredible. Nice toiletries, good size bathroom with a large tub, tea and coffee available in your room.
We were so busy, that we didn't really explore the hotel to see the historic remains, but the grounds and common areas were well kept, if a little gloomy.
The breakfast selection was very nice. Excellent pastries and fruit, a selection of breakfast meats, and eggs made to order. HOWEVER, our first morning, it seemed that it was really too much trouble for them to take our omelet order. When I asked the waitress if we could order, she said yes, but didn't take the order, and walked away. So we called the hostess over, and I asked her the same question. She answered yes, also, but in a very rude tone of voice. So I asked again, do we order with you, and the same irritated answer. She seemed incredulous that I would want 5 items in my omelet; I'm not exaggerating about her tone or her smug facial expression. When she came back and saw that I was taking notes, her attitude changed dramatically; she actually put on a smile and seemed human. Anyway, the omelets were really good. The unhelpful attitudes were exasperating, especially considering how much we were paying to stay there.
The next day, a large group had arrived, so we weren't able to sit in the main dining room. This was a plus, however, because the two young ladies who waited on us that day were extremely pleasant and professional. The last day, since we had an early flight, they made us very large breakfast to-go bags, which I snacked on most of the day.
Another wierd experience was that people came into my cousins' room on more than one occasion, for no apparent reason. Each time they apologized, and then left. They said it was unnerving.
I would like to add that all the concierges at this hotel were helpful and pleasant. There are lots of restaurants nearby; the guidebook says they're more expensive in this area, but we didn't find that to be true. The winery accross the street has yummy tastings, and we learned a lot, too. The castle is immediatly next to the hotel, so it is a great location--just remember that the museums are closed on Mondays. We were able to go to the Spy Museum on Monday, and that is fun and informative.

Room Tip: Pay the difference and get the river view. It's like a beautiful painting; even more spectacula...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and your constructive review.

It is clear from what you have wrote that your stay was not from every respect to the usual high standard of the Hilton Budapest, and I must apologize for the experience you have described here. I will certainly be following up with the appropriate members of the management team in order to investigate your comments further.

In order to assist in this process, if I may ask you to please contact me at zoltan.arvai@@hilton.com, and from your name I will be able to find the stay, the room, and the date, and make the appropriate improvements, in addition to responding to you privately.

Thank you very much for your feedback, and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

I have stayed at the Budapest Hilton a couple of times and I can vouch for it. The room we last had had a spectacular view of the Danube and the Parliament building. We had a couple of meals in the restaurant, both wonderfully presented. I have no hesitation recommending this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river/Buda
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and review.

I have shared your inspiring feedback with our team, thank you very much once again for staying with us and sharing your positive comments with Tripadvisor Community.
When you are planning a return, please do reach out to us at reservations.budapest@hilton.com with any enquiries, we will be happy to assist you.