“Friendly welcome!”

Ranked #124 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Margate
“Friendly welcome!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Hotel was great. Nice balcony with view. Good quality for such a cheap price. Breakfast & dining was not great but pleasant & manageable. Rooms were clean, tidy. Hotel staff spoke Hungarian, French & english.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Flashtotty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

Stopped here for one night with my family of four between travel from Prague and south Hungary. Had comfy family room of one double and two singles for around 60 euros inc. breakfast. Short downhill stroll to 4/6 tram which connects Buda and Pest. Good value for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank markh1066
Exmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

Since I stayed here last the hotel has been renovated and modernised. My room was a good size as was the bathroom. Everything very clean and the room was quiet, as I had requested. Breakfasts were substantial including cereals, yoghourt, rolls etc plus scrambled egg every day. The breakfast room waitress/cook was extremely pleasant and the same applies to the reception staff. One problem; as its name suggests, it is on a hill,(and quite a steep one) so approaching it on foot from Margit Krt is hard going if carrying luggage. Apart from that this is a good, clean, comfortable 3 star hotel in a pleasant part of Budapest. I shall probably use it again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Rozsahegy u if you want a quiet room
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank JamesBrian037
Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

I agree with melodia 1705. I have stayed here as a non driving solo traveller 5 times since September 2009 which I suppose is all you need to know. I chose it initially (and subsequently) for its cost and close location to my dental clinic. Rooms are basic ie clean and comfortable and you will be guartanteed a good night's sleep. Breakfast is basic (adequate) and you can pre order a similar evening meal also. Reception staff are fluent in 4 languages I recognised but more importantly their attitude is good and will offer help with directions etc if you ask. Just don't expect anything fancy for the price you're paying.
The hotel is located in Buda which is 20/25 minutes walk from the Castle District which is one of the main tourist spots in the city and is also < 10 walk to public transport into the city centre by tram or you can take the at Metro Moskva Ter (square) which takes about 15 minutes.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PhillipeGlasgow
North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

We stayed at Hotel Papillon a few nights last June. Based on reviews we thought it would be better than average - it was ok. Not great, not terrible. Our beds were fine, our bathroom was a little basic (our towels were tiny, and the front desk person was annoyed when we asked for normal sized ones...which they ended not having anyway). Breakfast was average. All in all it was fine, and probably a definite step up from a youth hostel. I wish I knew more about other BnBs and hotels in Budapest to know whether this was actually a good deal or not. Bottom line: It was fine, but I don't think I would choose to stay there again if I return to Budapest.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank melodia1705
Sondrio, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

No problems with bedroom, Internet connection apart that sometimes went broken or very low.
It is also very close to both British Council Istitutions in case you need to improve your English, the metro and Mamuth shopping Center as well.
I would express all my gratitude to all staff.
Anonimous - Italy

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank pap_132011
Irvine, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

My daughter and I shared a room here in September. We found it to be extremely clean, maybe a little small. We ate in the restaurant onsite for our dinners and breakfasts. Good food but no fruit at breakfast. It is conveniently located but an uphill 10 minute walk from the tram, not a problem. It is about a 20 minute walk to the Castle area but we saw there is a bus if you don't want to walk it. We always walked it because it's an incredibly interesting place to explore. The people who staff the Papillon were all very friendly, helping us with directions and giving us good advice, and arranging a ride to the airport. We felt it was a good value for the money. It was very quiet and we'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family