“Exceeded all our expectations”

Boutique Hotel Victoria Budapest
Ranked #9 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 1 September 2011

My Australian wife and I stayed for 5 nights in late July.

We have previously nalways stayed at the Gellert or the Hilton.

This hotel has a charm all of its own. The rooms are excellent, the panorama is breathtaking. All rooms face the Danubue and is almost opposite the Parliamnet House.
The breakefast was generous and excellent. The staff friendly and helpful.

The heart of the city is a 15 minute walk or easy tram ride.

I am going back next year and will certainly stay at the Victoria again

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GeorgeaPaul
Write a ReviewReviews (1,537)

Reviewed 31 August 2011

We recently had the pleasure to stay in the Hotel Victoria in Budapest, Hungary. It was the 'best in Budapest', both in location right on the Danube, Buda side, and just two blocks from the Chain Bridge and views. Every room has a magnificent view of the river, Parliament and the Pest side. The staff was very helpful and friendly, the breakfasts were plentiful. It's a small, privately run hotel, no giant international conglomerate. The rates are moderate, but if you can afford it, it's the Best in Budapest!

Room Tip: Each room has a great view, but higher up the better in this 8 storey hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank John H
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Had a great stay staff very helpfull close to all the sights great veiw from room overlooking the river and breakfast was cooked to order and hot.
Rooms are looking a bit tired and yes there was mould in the bathroom,have seen worse in other hotels.
All in all would return, we all had a great time weather was fantastic.

Room Tip: when we stayed the trams were not working so nice and quite but if your a light sleeper could have t...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sandra s s
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Stayed two nights. Positives were Incredible sunrise view overlooking the Danube and parliament building- best I have ever seen. Cute little breakfast room with made to order eggs. Nice staff very helpful. Great location and view of Chain Bridge, parliament building. Every regular room has a river view.

Negatives.
BIG no-no. There was a small blood mark on the sheet that could have been there or probably was mine. But either way I pulled off the sheet and put it on the floor in a pile. THEY PUT THE DIRTY SHEET BACK ON MY BED!!!
One elevator takes a bit and sometimes has maids cart in it so you can't get in.
Tiny car garage is only three spaces and around back. Must leave keys.
Shower had a little mildew
Window did not open and had lots of smudges
Tiny cruise ship bathroom was a bit dirty. Could be just a cultural difference like how almost all Italians bathrooms are dirty and all German/Swiss ones are spotless. Don't anyone get their feathers ruffled. I booked 19 Italian hotels last Summer from the Waldorf Astoria down to a B and B. 18 out of 19 had dirty bathrooms with mildew in shower. Waldorf was one of them.
Noisy AC unit was rattling
No black out curtain

Although there were several negatives. All in all it was a good hotel- except that sheet thing. I would probably go back but would want a room that had a window that opened. Unfortunately those are the smoking rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tadtv
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Location excellent. STaff excellent Room - wonderful - overlooking the Danube - so happy to report. Small, friendly, Clean Hotel - in fact everything wonderful. Nothing too much trouble for staff. Use of their computer to contact home free of charge Breakfast - the best, and believe me we are fussy !! We travelled with another couple and they also rave about this place. TRam close by, good eating out places especially one called "Sailor - recommended by the staff. A lovely 20 min walk over the river to Pest and likewise cable-car up the hill to the Castle area. Save a day for this area, views, beautiful streets, the underground hospital used during the war etc etc. Loved the hotel Victoria and Budapest. Good value for our Kiwi Dollar.
Thank you Hotel Victoria, would love to come back again and see you all. You made everything so easy and happy for us. Small hotel but one of ther best.

Room Tip: We had a corner room -
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Camelliafamily
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Went to Budapest for first time and picked this hotel based on Trip Advisor recommendations. I agree with many of the comments here, but I'm giving this hotel my lowest rating based on one fact -- The hotel management. We got to Budapest a day late due to circumstances out of our control with our delayed flight. I bought my hotel tickets through Orbitz and the management said they couldnt refund the missed night since I bought it through a third party. After speaking with Orbitz they contacted the hotel and the manager said they would not refund our missed night. No matter what else I thought of the hotel this is canceled by the management not being upfront with me that they wouldnt refund it anyways. I would have said I thought the views from the hotel over river were great. Walk to main area was only about 10 minutes. breakfast and staff were nice. room good size though beds not as comfortable as i like. I will never stay at this hotel again and would never recommend it to a friend unless you have to have a view of the Danube from your room. Rooms are a little tired and could use some updating as well.

Room Tip: Horrible management.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank AllanH328
Zoltan_Palmai_Jr., General Manager at Boutique Hotel Victoria Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2011

Dear AllanH328,

Thank you for your kind words regarding to our view, breakfast and staff.
As we are working with clearly stated cancellation policy, we have suggested Orbitz to inform their guests about it in a much proper way.
We do not feel ourselves responsible for flight cancellations, these cases should be solved by the airlines.
As a small hotel we are very flexible in handling our guest’s problems, if you can prove that we were responsible for the flight delay and not your airways, we would be glad to refund your missed night.
As a curiosity, when you arrived I was in the same situation in your country by Air France, but I would never blame the hotel.
Zoltan Palmai Jr.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Excellent hotel all you need in hotel and room fantastic views of Danube especially at night. Staff very helpful. Easy walking distance of Buda area or take the funicular. Not far from Chain Bridge. Sailors bar nearby excellent food and good value with friendly staff. Trams run along the waterfront I think no 11 over 65's free on public transport if show passport

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends