“A little splurge at the end of a fabulous cruise!”

Boutique Hotel Victoria Budapest
Ranked #9 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 21 July 2014

After finishing an amazing Viking cruise from Amsterdam (where do I review it?), we spent a pleasant night in this hotel on the river facing a splendid view of the Hungarian Parliament buildings. The room was a very generous size and the bathroom was modern and spacious. We strolled the river front to find a nice restaurant for dinner and enjoyed a restful sleep in the comfy bed. The breakfast was European style and had very tasty cheeses to go with the usual pastries, sliced meats and fruit. The staff organized a taxi for us in the morning to get us to the train station for our trip to Prague. I would like to especially thank them for their kindness as when we returned from our afternoon excursion we had missed the tea time by a few minutes, but they sent us up to their amazing music room to enjoy a quiet cuppa with biscuits under an original Claude Lorraine.

Room Tip: The view is the highlight of this hotel so ask to be at the front, facing the river.
2  Thank Denise181716

Reviewed 19 July 2014

One of my favorite hotels we have ever stayed in. The hotel has beautiful old world charm, with very updated bathrooms and tv. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the good breakfast, charming tea time in the beautiful music room, and happy hour in the restaurant. I would go back to Budapest just to stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the room with the balcony which they only have two of, however my sister had the room nex...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank HappyTraveler541
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have relied on Tripadvisor reviews for a number of years when selecting a hotel and am obviously not in agreement with the vast majority of reviewers regarding this property. A little background - we were a group of 14 looking for a hotel in Budapest for a post-cruise extension. After a great deal of research, Hotel Victoria semed like a perfect choice. The hotel does not accept group bookings, so each family made theur own personal reservation. In September of 2013 I booked a room at their Advanced Purchase Rate - no modification or cancellation accepted. There is also a clause "Reservation of a particular room is subject to availability and cannot be guaranteed." Based on the many other room tips on this site I requested a room on an upper floor with corner windows, NOT a particular room. (There are nine floors. I knew that the 9th floor has stairs from the 8th, and a balcony.) When I reconfirmed in June of this year, I asked for a corner room on an upper floor (7th or 8th), this still leaves four rooms to assign. I received this reply:
"- As our policy says : Request of a particular (e.g. high floor, corner,balcony etc.) room is subject to availability and can not be guaranteed -but will be noted."
When we checked in we were assigned a corner room on the 9th floor. The receptionist told me I asked for a room on the top floor (which I did NOT). She would not let me finish a single sentence, interrupting me each time I tried to ask for clarification of their room assignment procedures.She said it did not matter how early I booked, and told me I should have cancelled my reservation if I did not like the policy as written on the confirmation. I told her I could not have cancelled as I booked Advance Purchase, and that I had not requested a specific room, but rather a type of room (well I tried to tell her that, but she kept talking over me). Out of our seven rooms in our group, only two were corner rooms. One of our fellow travelers was put in a room in a different building - around the corner. The room was really not up to standards, and our group dubbed it The Hotel California. One couple had separated twin beds, rather than together. I was also told they give perference according to how many nights you stay - well that sure explains why the couple was placed in the back building, since they only stayed one night. She also told me she didn't care at all how much business I brought them by encouraging my friends to book with them. We ended up moving to the only available room, which was a middle room on the first floor. I encouraged the management to reply to some posts on this forum to make clear their room assignment policy, becuase I see a huge difference between requesting a specify room, rather than a type of room. As a customer, I would expect to be treated respectfully, not sarcastically. A simple dose of good customer service in the form of a smile and an apology for our dissatisfaction would have gone a long way., what we got ins tread was a "tough luck" attitude.
Now for our impressions notwithstanding the room assignment and rude receptionist:
Pro - excellent location, good breakfast, lovely lady in the breakfast area one day (or the gentleman that never smiles the next). Great rates. Clean. Modern bathroom, good free W-fi, 2 for 1 happy hour, gorgeous views - maybe, tea time in the lovely music room
Con - twin beds pushed together to form a king (ok if you don't mind the crack in the middle), no washcloths, thin, small bath towels, no English channels on the TV (yes, I know i's a foreign country, - but felt it's worth mentioning), trees block views somewhat on lower floors, noise from street on lower floors, AC has a maximum set point - just barely comfortable for us on a hot day. No sitting area to speak of. Stairs to negotiate with luggage at the entrance and to get to the 9th floor. (There was no help whatsoever.)
All in all this is a four star property at best, with a five star view if you are lucky and score one of the premium rooms. So if you are a gambler, go for it! Just have realistic expectations of where you may end up sleeping.

Room Tip: Don't bother even asking! Try the art'otel down the street, it looked very nice and the fron...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank sippican
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is a fabulous, budget hotel with amazing views and a great breakfast. We stayed here in July in a river facing room. The views, especially at night were great. The morning breakfast was continental with a choice of cereals, a great fruit platter and meets and cheese. There was also the option of scrambled, boiled or fried eggs or omelette freshly made. The staff were very helpful and spoke good English, and the rooms were spotless.I cannot recommend this hotel enough, not only for its views, comfort and cleanliness, but also it's easy walk into Budapest and access to public transport.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed here last week, a great location with views of Parliament and Chain Bridge from our window. The hotel is clean, the staff are always helpful and friendly. The food at breakfast was good. I would recommend this Hotel to anybody who is visiting Budapest. The Hotel is situated well for seeing the city, possible to walk to most of the attractions from the hotel, but would recommend a Budapest pass , and get used to using the excellent public transport system. Only slight moan about hotel, their isn't Tea/Coffee making facilities in the rooms,wife and myself are early risers and like to make a drink and go for a walk before breakfast. But it is one of the best Hotels we have stopped in, excellent!!

Room Tip: I would pick a higher room as we had somebody above us who was a bit noisy, I think all the rooms ov...
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Great location, friendly staff, amazing view and a very comfortable room. What more do you need? I totally enjoyed my stay at this little and charming hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone. Breakfast was very satisfying with delicious fresh melon on the week end. They offer to cook you eggs each morning upon arriving to breakfast or you can just cruise the ample buffet. Although most of the city is across the river (except "the hill" which is very convenient), it is a short walk and the metro and tram system is easily negotiated.
Best part? Letti, at reception. Warm, kind, knowledgeable and funny.
Alice

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank wegobeach
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Victoria is a small hotel right on the Danube on the Buda side of Budapest. It had a small lobby and small restaurant. The rooms, however, were very large. Our room had the most magnificant view of the river and Parliament Building. The amenities in the room were very modern including the flat screen TV. The rate for the hotel was reasonable. You could walk over the chain bridge to the Pest side with its many sights and restaurants. You could also walk to the venicular which took you up the mountain to the cathedral and Royal Palace and many shops. The breakfast at the hotel included lots of pastries, meat, cheeses and fruits. You could also get eggs cooked just about any style, including omelettes.
A wonderful place which I would recommend highly to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple