“Great place to stay!”

Kempinski Hotel Corvinus Budapest
Ranked #25 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Situated next to the British Embassy and an easy walk to the Danube and a busy square this is a great place to stay! Service excellent and staff efficient and helpful but not stuffy! Food and drinks not overly expensive and the rooms and the service and cleanliness are superb - I really liked the place! Restaurant is great too and again reasonable on price although when you get your bill in HUF it looks like loads!!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Majorchez
Write a ReviewReviews (2,440)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed at the Kempinski hotel for one night last week.

I should have known something is wrong when American Express told me that although it is a member of the LHW the Budapest Kempinski is not included.

Room rate included “Free Spa Entry & Free WIFI” and when I arrived at my room I logged on and was offered free wifi (which is free to all) and high speed internet. I of course chose high speed internet as the free internet is so slow you cannot connect to your exchange and I had free wifi included in my rate, and was shocked to see I was charged an extra fee for it when I checked out. I find this extremely dishonest as the room rate was simply misleading. Admittedly I didn’t check if the SPA is free to all, if it is then really I would expect them to advertise the fact that air conditioning and toilette paper are also free..

Later on, the cleaning lady took the key I left in the electricity switch so my laptop recharges, which is something I am not used to at 5 star hotels, and I found myself without a battery in my meetings. Can they really not afford the electricity bill in this 5 star hotel?

In the evening I ordered room service, the guy on the phone barely spoke English (this is a problem throughout the hotel) and although I repeated my order 3 times he still got it wrong.

When I complained about all this when I checked out the lady at the front desk couldn’t care less and just said “sorry you had trouble sir”. Great :-(

All in all, for the same price you can do MUCH better in Budapest and now I understand why the Meridien hotel next door was fully booked and the Kempinski was basically empty.

Room Tip: pick another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank in_the_know044
KempinskiBudapest, Manager at Kempinski Hotel Corvinus Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear esteemed reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us here on Tripadvisor. We strive to offer you a superb product and an outstanding service on every day of the year. I am sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. I would like to apologize for the occurred inconveniences and reassure you that this is not our standard.

Kindly contact me personally at zoltan.somlyai (at) kempinski.com so that I have the chance to express my regret personally.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back at Kempinski Hotel Corvinus Budapest and to making you next stay a truly outstanding and memorable one.

Kind regards,
Zoltan Somlyai
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 24 August 2014

The Kempinski Corvinus had a great location on the Pest side, close to the metro as well as the main shopping street Vaci Utca. The large room on the 7th floor had a great view of St Stephens as well as the giant wheel, make sure to ask for a room facing Erzsébet tér (the park). Best bathroom supplies, the lotion was simply amazing.

As expected in a large hotel, we had very little interaction with the staff. Also our room rate didn't include breakfast, and paid separately it was a steep E32 per person.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor facing Erzsébet tér (the park)
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2014

The Kempinski is a wonderful hotel. The location is almost perfect. Easy walking to shopping, attractions, eateries, the Danube and transit lines. If the price seems expensive, trust me, it's worth it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Annamarie1969

Dear valued Guest,

Many thanks for your short but powerful and positive comment on our hotel. We take great pride in delivering the traditional European art of luxurious hospitality and are glad we were able to exceed your expectations. We are looking forward to welcoming you and your family back to Budapest and to "one of the best places", Kempinski Hotel Corvinus Budapest soon.

Yours truly,

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We last stayed at the Kempinski 8 years ago and it's changed a lot! When we stayed it was a slightly stuffy but magnificent hotel, but they've had a nice modern upgrade and the reception area has changed beyond recognition! They have added a bar called the Blue Fox and this was what we visited after a long evening stroll along the Danube Promenade. My wife can't drink anymore because of a medical condition and in solidarity i joined her for a non-alcoholic cocktail. I had a virgin mojito which was so good that after two of them I expected to fall off my bar stall, but no, no rum.... my wife had a We Love Lemonade which is a mix of herbs, rose oil elderflower and other ingredients put together by the lovely Andras who is an absolute alchemist! It's a really hip but very friendly bar (hip and friendly doesn't often coexist!) and its in a really gorgeous venue - if you are in the vicinity go treat yourselves!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jax077j

Dear valued Guest,

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent visit to Budapest and its Kempinski again the at the fullest. Thank your for your kind acknowledgement on design of our ground floor. We were thrilled to receive your heartfelt review and your lovely recognition of our Blue Fox The Bar and our team member, András "The Alchimist / Mixologist". We hope to welcome you and your wife back soon for more perfect cocktails and inspiring stays at Kempinski Hotel Corvinus, we remain

with kindest regards,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel was excellent from start to finish. Really nice room, professional and courteous staff, and a terrific location to explore Budapest. Very close to a park and St. Stephan's, as well as some very fine restaurants. We got a really good price by pre-paying, and perhaps that is why we were assigned a room with not so good a view. But overall, we enjoyed our stay here very much! This is the first Kempinski hotel we have ever stayed at. We will definitely consider this group again for future travels.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DB614

Dear valued Guest,

We are thrilled to read we could contribute to make your Budapest trip to a memorable, great experience. Thank you for your positive words on our city and hotel. Please let us know your view preference upon making your next reservation and we will try to do our utmost to provide that particular room. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to Kempinski Hotel Corvinus Budapest.

with best regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The Kempinski is ideally located on the Pest side of the Danube River but within walking distance of the bridge and the tram up to the historical part of Buda. It is near St. Stephan's Cathedral and about a mile from the indoor market. Less than a block away is a large square with food vendors and other trinkets and baubles. The hotel is immaculate and the staff helpful. Wi-fi is strong and included in the price. The rooms lack coffee makers and the breakfast buffet is expensive but Cafe Anna is a block away and convenient. There are numerous restaurants in walking distance. I have but one complaint. Upon arrival, our group convened at the bar for a drink. We requested separate bills so the drinks could be charged to our room. The server ignored our request. When the bill did come, we asked if the service charge included his gratuity and were told it certainly did not. Needless to say we added a generous tip only to subsequently learn (at all the other bars and restaurants in town) that indeed the "service charges" did include a tip. It was not a big thing in the realm of things, but annoying all the same. All and all I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mary G

Dear valued Guest,

We are grateful for your kind comments on your recent Budapest visit and for your endorsement on our staff and WiFi service. We were saddened to realize, however, that we have failed to provide you the bar bill as desired. As you have kindly mentioned, our hotel is ideally located nearby the city attractions and our visitors have an opportunity to also explore more of the landmarks even by walking. Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and also for your honest recommendation. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to Kempinski Hotel Corvinus Budapest.

with best regards,