“Hungarian Rhapsody”

Kempinski Hotel Corvinus Budapest
Ranked #23 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 13 July 2010

Fantastic luxury hotel with all the trappings you would expect, we got this trip on a last minute top secret hotel deal and it was terrific value. We thoroughly enjoyed the spa and restaurant facilities and the service in the hotel was fantastic, but the real star of the trip was Budapest itself - from the coffee houses to the Turkish Baths and markets everything was gorgeous, especially the statues and contemporary art that litters the streets. I would highly recommend a stay at the luxurious Kempinski, I would also encourage visitors to walk or use public transport in Buda and Pest rather than take a taxi to get a real feel for this amazing city. We will go back!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 July 2010

in the centre of the city, room was not 5 star, as the twin bed was two beds side by side.

Bathroom is very nice, restaurant and breakfast perfect, the only minus is spa. The pool is toooo small, maybe 15m2, there are only few sun beds, and it was crowded.

Staff is very nice and helpful, so summary, it's very nice hotel

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2010

The location of this Hotel is ideal for a city break in a city full of sites. I checked in hustle free,, early in the morning even if I know very well that the check in time internationally is 14.00 hrs. They offered me a nice room quite spacious non smoking as requested. Everything was in place, all the comfort amenities you expect in a five star environment.
Absolutely efficient helpful and friendly was all the staff. Even if i had a guide book with me and had read it, i totally relied on the suggestions of the Front Desk. The reception staff was confident and ready to answer any question and arrange all these a tourist would ask.
At last could not be missed to be mentioned the breakfast. It just has everything! Al you need to start your day cold, hot, sweet, fruits, salads, fish, meat.......
In general the Kempinski Corvinus is an excellent choice and 100% value for money .

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 May 2010

We stayed here for three night and had a great time. The Hotel has very pleasant rooms and the staff were very helpful. The Hotel is easy to find and not difficult to get to. We got the train from the airport to Nyugati Station (main station on Pest side) and then got the metro (easy as there are only three lines). The Hotel is centrally located on the Pest side of the river which makes sightseeing ideal. The Hotel Spa is small but reasonable.

We did find the pillows extremely soft and had to ask for more. The design of the bathroom was a little odd with a large step up to get into the bath. You had to pay attention to make sure that you did not slip. Water went everywhere when you had a shower as the shower screen was pathetic. The shower was also mounted very low down on the wall, which was ideal if you were very short. These those were relatively minor points in what was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2010

We spent a great weekend in Budapest after deciding to go at short notice and not knowing a great deal about the city.
We always use TA when booking anywhere to get a feel for the place and the reviews are pretty accurate. Although we only spent three days at the hotel we had no complaints. Rooms were spacious and clean and the staff quite helpful. We never ate in the hotel as the prices did seem a bit excessive (especially breakfast) but there are plenty of places on the doorstep for breakfast, lunch and dinner - even a McDonalds.
Situated on Erzsebet Sq. next to the British Embassy the location is perfect for getting around Budapest and a short stroll to the Vaci Utca where there are enough restaurants and bars to be spoilt for choice.(Check out Verne Restaurant & Bar)
The 'hop-on/hop-of' tour buses start on Erzebet Sq and are a great way of not only seeiing the city but getting too and from the main attractions - also included many discount vouchers, boat trip and two guided walking tours - we did the 'Heroes Square and Park' walk which was very good.
Public transport is also very good and the Metro station is very close to the hotel if needed but the whole of the Vaci Utca is walkable from the hotel so w only used it a few times.
Highlight of the weekend was the guided Segway Tour of the city - a great way to get around and you can cover a good distance in a couple of hours. Very easy to use once you get used to it (their office isin a small shopping mall about halfway down the Vaci Utca).
Suprisingly plenty to do and see in Budapest and we could have done with a few extra days.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2010

I'm going to start with the one thing that is wrong with this hotel, then rave about what is right.

Wrong: The air conditioning is not what it should be. My most-important criterion that I use to judge a hotel room is the air conditioning. I have to have a cold room at night, at least 69 degrees, and this hotel room could not deliver it. Now you will call me picky, but it delivered what felt like 71 or 72 degrees; close, but no cigar. This small temperature gap MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE between comfort and misery to me. But to be fair, I did not complain, as I am resigned to the fact that engineering often cannot do anything on short notice. So I slept may nights nealy naked with no covers on; a poor surrogate.

Right: Everything else! Reception is warm, courteous and helpful. The lobby is modern and attractive. The rooms are large, well-appointed, clean, and comfortable (mostly, as noted above). I'll say a bit more: First, the room ceilings are nicely detailed with a strong crown moulding and nicely done ceiling lights that are just the right intensity, but not too bright. Lamps, nicely placed, give the room a warm and rather "rich" feel. The beds are large and comfortable enough. The pillows are a bit skimpy, but you can order more. The furniture was euro-sleek, newer and nice. Our room was very quiet. Turn-down service in the evening was lovely, and reminds you of the Four Seasons, our favorite hotel chain. Internet service was free and quite fast.

Bathrooms are smaller, like european BR's usually are, but nice enough. The shower and toilet wall-glass is very thin (less than 1/4", I think), and I would have preferred some "milk" finish for privacy when family needed to share it with me, but that would have impacted your sense of room size, no doubt. Housekeeping was also stingy with washcloths (but not if you asked for more), and I would have appreciated more pristine bathroom glasses to drink from (while taking pills) each day.

Breakfast is well-done. Chef's preparing custom omlettes, smoked salmon, etc.

Then there is the price. We paid $209/night, and for what they are delivering, that is an outstanding value. This compares to the Ritz Carlton, St. Louis.

If the air conditioning and other few things noted above were better, I would consider this one of the best hotel values EVER.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2010

This was my second stay at the Hotel. I previously stayed here in April 2005 and loved the hotel and city. I decided to go back with my sister to show her the beautiful sights of Budapest and we again stayed at the Kempinski. The night we arrived we went to the reastraunt and had the buffet bar-b-q . When we got the bill the meal cost us 85 euro (this also included a 15% service charge). This was for a salad, bbq main,desert and 2 glasses of local wine. We thought this was a bit over priced but had no problem paying because we enjoyed the meal. We charged the meal to the room and the waiter then asked about his tip... we were abit taken aback as there was a service charge already included on the bill. We gave him 10euro tip anyway.

Other than that the hotel was clean and comfortable but the staff were not as friendly as I rember from my previous stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends