“Repeat after me...It's a HOSTEL!”

Marco Polo Top Ho(s)tel
Ranked #53 of 641 Speciality Lodging in Budapest
London, United Kingdom
“Repeat after me...It's a HOSTEL!”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I came across this place and checked the reviews, as I reslised I stayed here a couple of years ago, but never got around to reviewing. Shocked at the nonsense reviews here - No WiFi, A bit noisy etc. Hence the title of my review - might I repeat - Its a HOSTEL!

Ok - for the travellers out there looking for info on choosing this place. Its excellent value for money. In a climate of budget flights creating a mammoth city break industry, Budapest should be near the top of most couples & friends list, also any Non-Europeans backpacking DONT MISS this wonderful city, and when you arrive, relax about choosing where to stay if on a budget. This place has exactly what it should for the price and nature of the accomodation. Its smack bang in the middle of Buda, and anything you want to see or do in the city is easily accessible. Language barrier wasnt an issue as I recall, and the staff might not have been up to Disney standardss perhaps but who cares? It's a hostel! and a very pleasant one. The room was clean and the bed was fresh. There was a clean place for washing and it was a comfortable temperature. Fine fine fine! As for Budapest - We did the hitlist - Gelert baths for a massage and float around in the pool is a MUST. Food was universally excellent wherever we went. if going on a city break its easy to forget bathing suit so I'm reminding you right now!

Gelert is over one of the bridges and looks really very innocuous - you could miss it easily. Its on the other side of the river to the Main City Hall which is architecturally beautiful.

Some travellers may find the 'attitude' of the natives of Budapest a little, perhaps, brash? Maybe a little direct? To some people (English mainly) this may come across as rude. This is not the case. They are economic with words on the surface, but I found once I spent a few minutes at a bar asking about the city they revealed themselves to be a very proud and hard-working people, who are slowly adapting to their city being a potential travel destination. I would absolutely recommend going and unless your on some kind of romatic 'impress-me' weekend stay at Marco Polo.

Room Tip: Get drunk before you return to your room on some ting-tong plonk and you wont give a crap.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Slutbunwaller
Judit I, Manager at Marco Polo Top Ho(s)tel, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Just: Thank You!!! :)))

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

I picked Marco Polo due to its high recommendation in TripAdvisor. However I am dissappointed with overall experience in this hostel; with the exception of the room. The staff who greeted us was unfriendly and not that helpfull. The hostel did not have functional computers for cuatomer use and wifi is only available at reception area. It was very noisy at night since clubs are all around the area and our neighbours are very rude (they were drunk, shouting outside the door, kicking and smashing doors until it broken since they couldn't find their keys), smoking in the room which resulted in activating fire alarm, climb to the roof to smoke and caused nuisance for the whole night. Surprisingly, it seemed like nobody stopped them and no staff tried to warn them. I was too sleepy to went down because it was around 2-3 am and there was no phone in the room. The only thing that I am satisfied with the hostel; was the our room. The price is really low and the room is clean with indoor bathroom, plus a tv, cupboard and reading lamps. One thing for sure, I will never stay in this hostel again.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your feedback! I am sorry that you had bad neighbours! We do have a security guard during the night who has to walk around (minimum every hour) to see that everything is in order. Since this happened we do even more attention that they control the quiet (and also the doors) during the night - most of the times it is in order - a few times we have more difficulties - but we do our best!

Travellers are raving about these Budapest hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 2 May 2013

The location was great-- just a block away for The Ruins and close enough to the city center to walk. However, pretty far from the train station. The rooms were pretty outdated but sufficient. The staff was nice and very patient with me when I blew a fuse with my hair dryer!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for the comment! Since the time we have new bed sheets and NEW PILLOWS! :)
Paris, France
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I've stayed in a double room in december and the heating worked very well. Great staff and location, bu the commun kitchen was really small - it semmes more a wardrobre. And the cleaning ladies didn't care to wake up everybody at 9 AM playing a loud radio in the corridor.
Small room, but not bad. If we think about the price I shoul say that is a good value hostel.

Room Tip: Great location and price. If you are not looking to special gadgets, take it.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 15 March 2013

well the hostel was OK. room was clean, bathroom as well and bed was comfortable
the location was really good, close to metro, buses and trams,
there was also an african restaurant nearby, well not the best one in the world hehe

what i didnt like about the place !
wifi wasnt at your room, only in ground floor, next to reception ...
come on, we live in 21st century, right ?
and why all around the hostel was written: delicious, cheap and huge bowl of gulasz - and afterwards, no more gulasz in the kitchen... for 4 days ...

anyway i recommend this hostel ! :)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Novi Sad, Serbia
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We accidentally ended up in this hostel. We had a reservation in another placement, but the host was canceled us when we arrived. We were desperate! Just to mention, this happened the day before New Year's Eve. When we got in the Marco Polo Hotel, receptionist was wonderful to us. She quickly found accommodation for us, although it was a huge crowd and many were looking for accommodations. We stayed in a room with 12 people. The beds are double-decker but separated with paravane. Bathrooms are shared but very clean. There is free internet. Bar in the hostel has a pleasant atmosphere. The biggest impression on us left receptionist, which is a great worker and a great person. I recommend this accommodation. Points out, it is very clean and close to the city center.

Room Tip: Although our room in the hostel was nice, I recommend booking in smaller rooms. I guess the small ro...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank natasa c
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 December 2012

This hostel isn't too bad - a group of friends and I stayed for 5 nights and had a lot of fun. The only issue is that some guests were SO noisy and drunk, it made it impossible to sleep some nights.

There is a good vibe at this hostel and the location is quite central. The rooms/beds are a bit average. When we got back after a days outing we found some "service" guy opening our room door to "fix" something. Luckily we were leaving later that day..

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends