“Excellent!!”

Ranked #12 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Excellent!!”
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here between 5 and 8 June and was extremely impressed!!! Staff were efficient and courteous, room was lovely and breakfast was great quality!! I would be tempted to say closer to a five star than a four star! We upgraded to a suite and if in doubt I would very much recommend this - great size, facing courtyard 2nd floor and very quiet! Could have lived in the bed it was so luxurious and lost my partner on a couple of occasions. Plus bathroom came with a walk in shower and a huge bath. Excellent location - central and you walk out onto a central metro line!!! Tried to eat dinner here one night as good looking menu but feels that it's not set up for that being more of a bar in the evening. Nevertheless I would stay here again if visiting Budapest without a doubt!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cat O
Zoltan K, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nemzeti Budapest - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Cat O,

I was really glad to read in Your review, that You loved the room, and our bed concept so much.... Thank You also for Your comment on the location! I hope we will be able to welcome You back soon!

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Turton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stopped at the Mgallery Nemzeti for 4 nights last week and I cannot recommend the hotel highly enough. It is rated at 4 stars but that to me seems a little mean, I would have thought it deserved 5.

We had a standard room on the third floor at the front of the hotel. I had read adverse comments about the front rooms suffering from street noise owing to the tram stop outside the front doors and the admittedly busy road it stands upon. All I can say is that it wasn't an issue for us. Sound sleep was easy in the comfortable bed. Noise from the outside was evident, but not that intrusive. I've slept in far noisier hotel rooms in New York for example.

The room itself was comfortable with a great bed and super shower room.

The hotel has free wi-fi which is accessible via a password provided by reception.

We had an inclusive breakfast deal and I'm glad we did. The breakfasts were superb. Excellent choice of fresh breakfast goodies to suit all tastes. They set us up really well for the days sight seeing.

Perhaps the most crucial standard to judge any hotel by is its staff and there the Mgallery Nemzeti does not fail. It would be unkind to single out one set of staff as all were extremely friendly and couldn't do enough for you if asked.

We didn't eat lunch or dinner in the hotel as there are a plethora of great local restaurants and cafés to try. Food in the city is cheap by today's standards and quality is high, the same being said for the local beer, Dreher being my favourite, and the Hungarian wine.

The hotel is well placed in Buda and is within 10/20 minutes walk from anywhere in the city. Budapest itself is a lovely city with the Buda side having wide boulevards and relatively flat. Over the River Danube is Pest. This is more hilly and has a more town/village atmosphere. For those who want to get around but not on foot, public transport is widely available in the guise of trams, buses and an underground system. All three have extensive routes systems. Taken together the city as a whole represents a brilliant place for a short break.

The city is accessed from the Budapest airport, this being a 20/30 minute taxi ride away. Expect to pay around 9000 to 10000 HUF for the journey. We asked the hotel to arrange a taxi to meet us and that I can recommend.

Give Budapest a try and if you do try the Mgallery Nemzeti, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Ask the hotel to arrange a taxi from the airport, it's worth it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank RADCTurton
Dear RADCTurton,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an extensive review of Your stay at the Hotel Nemzeti. I was very glad to read that you liked the room so much and were able to make use of the good location and the comfortable bed.
I will forward Your kind words about the staff to them, to encourage them in their future efforts.
I am sorry You had no time to check the offering of our Bar or Restaurant. Perhaps on Your next visit which I hope will be in the near future.

Hanoi
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Hotel is located a bit out of the city center, which still can be reached walking. During the day, the place is very lively, at night, I can be a bit more scary as you have a number of homeless outside. Lobby is very nice, well remodeled. Staff at the reception are lovely, helpful and smiling. Rooms are rather on the small side.
Pros:
- hotel is new and all is clean and fresh
- the history of the building, you can feel it
- rooms are new and high standard
Weaknesses:
- breakfast could be better
- bathrooms are really small and in some rooms (only with showers), the water flows all over the bathroom
- water, amenities are not refilled during the stay (stayed 4 nights, had always the same soap and other amenities, no new one)
- color of the rooms, very dark

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tree69
Zoltan K, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nemzeti Budapest - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Tree69,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Hotel Nemzeti Budapest. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At M Gallery, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

manchester
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Firstly location, it's a 20 min walk to the river, but there is a metro(underground) 30 seconds away that'll take you close to the centre, to parliament, in about 3 minutes, on the walk you can go various ways seeing many things you would miss if you were based in the centre, it's also only 5 minutes from my favorite bar in the world, Szimpla kert. So five stars for that.

Room, looked very nice, the highest ceiling in a hotel room I have ever seen. The bed was very soft, on night one we were too hot and asked for a change of duvet which was promptly sorted. It was very quiet but was not total blackout. The bathroom was clean but basic, there was no overhead shower. The mini bar was outrageously expensive. The TV was very good with hotel info and weather available via the opening page, WiFi was good and simple.
Four stars.

Staff, were not the friendliest, they would help if you asked but either it seemed they wanted tipping for the most basic task or were doing it as they had to. They were knowledgeable and did help but not with a smile. When you enter the hotel you do feel a little as you are being watched. Three stars.

Food, we didn't get breakfast as it was €19 each per day, we were offered on arrival we could have it for €12 if booked for entire stay, but still way above what I'd pay for breakfast. The three course meal for €12 was tried one one night, it looks very pretty and was nice but we left feeling as though we would be hungry again soon. But for the price it was reasonable. Three stars.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Zoltan K, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nemzeti Budapest - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear "kingkahnv",

Middlesex
Reviewed 4 June 2014

If you are the type that is worried about the fluffiness of hotel towels than please do not read on as this is not that kind of review or something I care about. For me there are only 4 points that are really important:

#1 location - Hotel Nemzeti is only a 15 minute walk from the city centre and if you choose a different way each time you discover interesting little pockets of Budapest.

#2 cleanliness – we found nothing to complain about.

#3 friendliness/helpfulness of staff – when we enquired about a boat trip to Szentendre the Hotel employees were searching online to provide us with all the information required. We were always greeting with a smile and were even asked if we had a transfer to the airport or if they should arrange it for us.

#4 quietness – we had room #305 facing into the courtyard and it was blissfully quiet.

Hotel Nemzeti has another plus point. It is a beautifully renovated historic building i.e. a vision in white. Right next to the Hotel is a currency exchange place that had the best rates in the area - so don’t change your money at home when you conveniently can do it right next door. I can only recommend Hotel Nemzeti and the 15 minute walking distance to the centre turned out to be a blessing as we discovered less touristic places and restaurants in the residential area.

Room Tip: We staid at room # 305
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GermanWanderer
Dear "Germanwanderer",

I would like to thank you for providing such a detailed and useful review of Your recent stay at the Hotel Nemzeti. I was very happy to read that that we were able to meet or even exceed the level of Your expectations. I hope to see You back soon!

Mumbai (Bombay), Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here to visit Budapest as a tourist. The hotel is located just 5 minutes from the Keleti station which is the main train station in Budapest. Since we came from Krakow by train and had our train to Prague for our onward journey this was the best possible thing to happen to us. Regarding the hotel, they willingly and happily gave us an early check in around 10 am. The staff at the hotel is very friendly and tries to accommodate every request of yours. Especially Balint from Slovakia, hes always smiling and welcoming. A water drink was placed on the table near the entry, to refresh the guests. The room has some brilliant unique interiors. The interiors are really welcoming. The bathroom is pretty big with an really good shower. We were given a room with a nice view of the courtyard. Everyday we used to get weather update for the coming day on the bed with two cookies, small thing but brilliant stuff as you can prepare beforehand for the coming day. They gave us a champagne as well to celebrate our stay. The breakfast was good with sufficient food items, would ask you to add some hot vegetarian stuff to make it awesome. But no complaints. Location wise, straight walk down the road for 10 minutes takes you to the danube and the chain bridge. 10 minutes walk on the right takes you to the opera and further 5 minutes to the heroes square and the city park. So a really nice central location for everything from tourist places to best rated bars and restaurants. To sum it up Nezmeti Budapest is one of the best hotels to stay in Budapest.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dhaval_Gandhi
Dear Daval_Gandhi,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an extensive and kind review of Your stay at the Hotel Nemzeti. I was very happy to read that You had such an excellent stay at the hotel. I am glad that we were able to facilitate Your arrival with the early check-in, also that were able to make the stay even more Memorable with the little touches we added. I will make sure to share Your comments with the staff, especially Balint who will be most pleased to hear that their efforts are appreciated.
I hope we will have another chance to welcome You back to the hotel on Your next visit to Budapest.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

This is an excellent hotel in a great central location a few hundred yards to metro and tram. The rooms are of a high standard and the bed large and very comfortable. We chose to eat out each day but what we saw looked good. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We were 4 couples and all were very happy.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chris B
Zoltan K, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nemzeti Budapest - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Chris B,

Thank You very much for Your kind words. I was really glad to read, that You were so happy with the experience. This coming from such a seasoned traveller is especially rewarding. I hope to welcome You back soon!