“Disappointing for the price and such a great location”
Review of art'otel budapest

art'otel budapest
Ranked #43 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This hotel is of 4 star standard in a fantastic location. It is on the west bank of the Danube directly below the castle. On the opposite bank to the north is the Parliament building and 100 yards south is the Chain Bridge (Budapest's equivalent to Tower Bridge in London)

The interior is all white with art work of an American artist that wasn't to my taste. The rooms were well furnished and large however the heating was of the blown air type and the options was hot or off as the thermostats didn't work and there was certainly no cooling effect. This was the case with the 4 rooms our group had. As the tradition in Budapest seems to be to have the heating on full at winter we cooked despite coming from a relatively more temperate country. This meant that we had to sleep with the windows open and heating off to get any sleep..

We were a group of 4 couples staying here for the period around New Year 2013/2014 having booked via Travel Republic. At the time of booking the option of river view room came up but didn't materialise. However on arrival 3 of the 4 couples were put in riverside rooms with the other couple in a room at the rear facing the castle. This meant that those with the river view had the traffic noise to contend with when they had their windows open. The rear room was quieter until 0630 hrs when the bells from the churches and castle began and they had to close their windows as well and return to the sweat chamber experience.

The breakfasts was a good self service buffet affair but the bar was exorbitant. I almost fainted at the minibar prices £5 for a can of Red Bull or a single shot of vodka. Mini tub of Pringles £2.

We did use the saunas but had to have them turned on and given an hour to warm up before we could go in.. We didn't use the gym.

The staff were excellent and made up for the other failings including leaking shower screens, floppy shower heads, TVs with a fixed limited number of channels and blocked to prevent retuning.

On check out those with the river views were hit with a 20 Euro subsidy to boot.

2  Thank Jonathan C
Tamas M, Front Office Manager at art'otel budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear valued Guest, we appreciate your review and your personal view of the experiences that you have made at art'otel budapest.We regret to read your negative point regarding the air conditioning in the hotel. As it was turned off for the winter and the weather during your stay was rather unusually warm , so I can understand the room was a bit warm .
Let me express my apology for the inconveniences caused to you.
Except from these negative experience, thank you that you highlighted on the fantastic location of the hotel and the well furnished,large rooms. We highly appreciate your nice words regarding to the staff.
On behalf of our entire staff at art'otel budapest we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!
Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,900)

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We booked this hotel back in October as the last stop of our 3 city trip. I booked using Airfast tickets because they had the cheapest deal on the hotel.Needless to say I was nervous but upon arrival we were greeted by 2 people in the front desk. The hotel has a main building where you come into and another building that is older and adjacent to the main one. Our room was in the other building. We had no one help us with our luggage which i wasn't happy about since we had to drag it down the stairs and up the stairs to get to the other building. The room was old. The carpet was dirty and the bed was very uncomfortable. It was also extremely hot in the room and since this was October they had already turned off the AC. The windows opened to an interior area where you can see their dining room, so needless to say there was no getting fresh air. The next day I asked to upgrade our room and i paid a bit more but it was worth it. Our room was in the main building and the view of the river and Parliament was breathtaking. The room was modern and sleek. The only issue was our wifi worked in the bathroom and entryway but not where the bed was. I recommend if you stay in this hotel to book the newer room. Location was great. It's on a more residential side but well worth it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yts28
Tamas M, Front Office Manager at art'otel budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear valued Guest,
we appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.We are extremely sorry that the condition of the firstly allocated room did not meet your expectations in all aspects. Please kindly accept our apology for any inconveniences.
Our hotel consists of two buildings a new part and a Baroque wing restored to its original
beauty.In the Baroque part both floors are accessible by elevator, however it is true that guests have to go down couple of stairs to reach their rooms. This comes from the National Heritage Protection status of the building which allowed us only a limited modification of the original floor plan.
Further I 'd like to inform you that after the newly renovated rooms in the "main building" we are planning extensive redecoration of those room located in the "old part" also to meet and succeed our guest expectations.
We hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to art'otel budapest in the future, we remain with our best regards,
Front Office manager

Reviewed 28 December 2013

The hotel was booked by my company for a combined business & weekend trip. Unfortunately, the hotel (on the same road) that we normally use was unable to accomodate us for the 3 nights, so we were booked in to the Art'Otel.

Checking in was simple enough, however, when we got to our room we found that it was a twin room instead of a double and when I contacted reception who said that there was nothing that they could do about it as the hotel was fully booked. After quite a bit of toing and froing, they eventually pushed the 2 beds together, but left us with single bedding. When I questioned this I was advised that the hotel doesn't provide double or king sized bedding!!

Our overall impression of the room was very good. It was very spacious & the bathroom was very clean.

The first evening we ate in the hotel restaurant & found the food & service to be excellent... as was the view from the window, which was of the splendidly illuminated Parliament building!

The next morning we enjoyed an excellent breakfast, which was well stocked with a great choice of cooked and cold foods & cereals. The staff were very friendly & professional!

As I was due into our offices that morning, my company sent a taxi to collect us, which was unfortunately sent away by the consierge! I am assuming that this was because there were a lot of people waiting for taxi's (it was a working day!) and there was clearly some confusion. Fortunately it was resolved by a phone call and it didn't cause us any major problems.

For the rest of the stay we only ate breakfast in the hotel, preferring to enjoy some of the local bars & restaurants.

Unfortunately, when we checked out on the Sunday, there was again a problem with our taxi. One had been organised by my company, but he hadn't come in to the hotel. I did ask the consierge to speak with the driver, but he reported back that it wasn't my taxi. Luckily, this was resolved by me before he drove off when I showed him an email from our offices confirming the taxi company that was due to collect us.

The issues over the room & the taxi's have already been discussed with the hotel, who eventually replied with answers. Although, without going into the details, their response is, in my opinion, not really 100% satisfactorily!

I would recommend this hotel to other travellers looking for a good hotel in Budapest, with good facilities and a great location as it does appear from other reviews that our experience was indeed a rarity in terms of experiencing problems.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river definitely offer the best view, if this is important to you!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pops_Mccrill

Dear valued Guest, I appreciate you taking the time to post your very detailed feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor.
Once again please accept our sincere apology for any inconveniences caused to you regarding the bedding and the unsatisfactory concierge service. As I wrote in my e-mail to you thanks to your remark we will take into consideration to by some double duvets as well. There are continious efforts on our side to improve our services and we are grateful for your feedback and your criticism.
Except from the mentioned negative experiences, thank you that you highlighted the cleanliness of the bathroom, the excellent breakfast and food of the hotel restaurant We are happy that you enjoyed it. We highly appreciate your nice sentence regarding to the staff in the restaurant.
On behalf of our entire staff at art'otel budapest we thank you for your business and we hope that we will have the opportunaty to welcome you again.
With kind regards,

Reviewed 23 December 2013

This hotel has the choice of Budapest castle or river view, either choice won't disappoint especially with night lights on. The hotel is modern, clean and with helpful friendly staff. It is also a 5min walk to the foot of the hill to either climb or take the funicular up to castle hill to visit the old city and 15min over the "lion/chain" bridge to central Pest. In December this was all very easy strolls and as a treat a 20 min walk we would melt the winter away in their famous thermal baths such as Rudas, Kiraly or Lukacs Bath the best feature of this city. A good hotel choice, Christmas market and relaxation made this trip a great way to begin this holiday season.

Room Tip: The river view was the best choice.
1  Thank David T
Tamas M, Front Office Manager at art'otel budapest, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear David, we appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

I love this hotel. I have stayed there twice. Be aware that it's a much better location in the Summer than the Winter. Problem is not with hotel which is fabulous but the location. This is on the castle side and in September when they have the annual wine festival it's an easy stroll back when you've enjoyed your afternoon, if you know what I mean. In the Winter when it's cold it's a long stroll to tubes etc and it is better to be over the river.

Anyway if you chose this hotel you'll find it relaxing and amazing value and I always check out the rates at this place first when considering a trip to my favourite European city.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear valued Guest, thank you so much for the review and the recommendation! I was very glad to read that you were so satisfied with your expereience at art'otel budapest.
On behalf of our entire staff at art'otel budapest we thank you for your business , your loyalty and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Reviewed 8 December 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. It is in a great location on the bank of the Danube.
We had a very nice river view room on the 4th floor. The view of the Parliament building on the opposite side of the river was spectacular when floodlit. Also views of the Chain Bridge and Margaret Bridge
which were beautifully lit up at night.The Chain bridge was a 5 minute walk from hotel and less than 10 minutes across bridge to city centre. Matthias Church on the Buda side is well worth a visit.
We attended a sung Mass, in Latin at 10am on Sunday morning . It was an occasion to treasure.The church can be accessed by climbing steps just up the road to the right from rear of hotel.An easier way up is to use the funicular railway at the Chain Bridge.There is also a handy corner shop on this road behind hotel.
The Fisherman's Bastion adjacent to the church is a must visit attraction.Sample a mulled wine in the cafe in the high turret.
If eating in hotel area use the hotel as the food is good.
Tea and coffee making facilities in the room and safe.Free use of computers in lobby.
We walked to all the major attractions in Budapest and only used the metro once to return from Heroes Square to city centre. The Christmas Markets were good especially the one near St. Stephen's Basilica.
We were very impressed with hotel and staff and would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Room at front from 4th floor up for magnificent views of Danube . Windows are French style.
1  Thank ceolbinn

Dear valued Guest,thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us here in the art’otel budapest. I am most pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable time with us.
On behalf of the entire team I would like to thank you for your visit and hope to see you again when you will be back in Budapest.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights on a sight seeing holiday. Great location on the on side of the river Danube at the Buda side. The room was lovely not over looking the river , but it didn't matter as we saw all Budapest lights before we came in early evening. We had booked with Travel Republic Half Board. The food was lovely evening dinner was served till late. Nothing was too much trouble and we were told the menu if we didn't like anything we could change it. The staff we all very friendly and helpful. The hotel was lovely and warm, we even had to open the bedroom windows as it was so warm. All shampoos and body lotions were Bare Minerals..lovely .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear valued Guest, thank you so much for the review ! I was very glad to read that you were so satisfied with your expereience at art'otel budapest.